• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild The water temple.

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
Okay, so we all know it's going to happen. On the map we see a large body of water, which may be Lake Hylia, in which the new water temple will most likely reside. The question is, will this one be as infuriating as the others? How would you implement a water theme into a temple without making it feel like you're running around in a circle and getting lost?
I think the main problem with past wart temples, at least in 3D Zelda games is the focus on rising and falling water levels, usually through some means that is time consuming to reverse, and not in the fun way.
OoT you had to play a song, and if you rise theme in the wrong order you had to go all the way around again.
MM you had to push some blocks in the entrance room to reverse the current.
WW you had to wait for the water to rise and fall in the tower of the gods.
TP you had to go to all ends of the temple to raise the water level in the middle to get to the boss room.
Even some handheld Zelda games have similar mechanics. So any ideas on water based temples that wouldn't be super annoying? Perhaps just not basing a temple solely of water like the Ancient Cistern in SS?

Hmm.. even though i've never had trouble in a water temple (not lying) i never look forward to them because of the mechanics involved; reversing currents, raising levels... the concepts bore me so i do hope that Zelda U does something different or just have the water in the temple so you can swim through it to different areas rather than having to constantly mess around with it.

I never took issue with any of the previous water temples so I'm not too bothered with how they implement it in Zelda Wii U but if they are interested in switching things up I suggest they either do a water temple that isn't strictly a water temple and add another element/feature to it (like Skyview Temple and Ancient Cistern) or rethink the traditional use and location of water. The rising and lowering of water levels has been done a lot so maybe they could have a different mechanic. Maybe make the water "area" (if they want to forgo a traditional temple/dungeon) be located on the side of a mountain and Link has to traverse dangerous ledges and a series of waterfalls and caverns. There's plenty of ways to use water in new and exciting ways.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Water Temple us rather arbitrarily easy when you've been playing for a long time.

As to the people complaining about the water Mechanics there truly isn't a lot you can do bar raising water levels and changing currents i'd personally prefer a Temple that has different entrances and is only accessed via the tide as it goes out.

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
Perhaps a water temple with a dam blocking the water for the first half? The first half can be figuring out how to open the flood gates, then the second half can be a regular water filled temple. Then there would only be one water level change throughout and much less faffing around.

We talking about the easy temple . . . I mean water temple . . . same thing really.
All the water changing in the water temple was it's brilliance. You had to think of the temple as a whole and not just each room individually to beat it. It's my 3rd favourite dungeon in the game.
2nd favourite being the Spirit Temple. And my favourite is the Ice Cavern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom