• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The type of things in JRPGs that you can can't stand.

Triforce King

Pathfinder for life
As a gamer I love playing JRPGs when it come to the stories, the characters, and getting stronger by leveling up, but just as there are some good things to talk about in JRPGs, there are also some shortcomings. whether it's the type of genre you dislike or the full or lack of a feature that you dislike. So if you want, go ahead and list down the things you dislike in a JRPG.

So here are the things that I dislike:
1. Not seeing the enemies HP and LV. When I'm fighting an enemy or a boss, I like to know how much damage I'm dealing.

2. Having party members that are one dimensional or just there to be there and have no significance to the story.

3. JRPGs that play in a first person perspective. I don't know why, but I get OCD when it comes to playing at a third person perspective. I just got to see my characters on the screen, that's why I can't stand playing games like the Etrian Odyssey series. No offense to anybody who do love that series.

4. Random encounters. I think that random encounters break up the flow of the game, especially if there too many of them. I like to choose when I'm ready to fight or not.

5. Bland action JRPGs. I hate how action JRPGs are a norm now. You know the typical hack and slash button mashing gameplay. That's what I love about Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Valkyria Chronicles, because each of these games breathe life into the action genre.

Last edited:
1. Not seeing the enemies HP and LV. When I'm fighting an enemy or a boss, I like to know how much damage I'm dealing.

I'll expand on this point and say I absolutely hate it when stats are hidden from me in general. As much as I like Fantasy Life, that game's healing items are absolutely atrocious. There's a whole lot of them, and they all "restore a bit of HP" or "boost Strength and Focus for a while". Why can't they say "restores 50 HP" and "boosts Strength and Focus for 60 seconds"? I get they wanted the game to be accessible, but all it would have taken is a simple option - let the player choose wether they want detailed stats about everything (I do) or if they want a simplified view.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I would say the thing I dislike most about JRPGs is that the stories are usually pretty predictable. I don't hate it, but I wish some of them were a little better in terms of story telling.

Another thing I dislike is the fact that areas are leveled. In other words, you know when you reach a new area that the monsters are going to be harder because you are expected to be a certain level once you reach a certain point. Meaning that grinding can make the game incredibly easy, but rushing through could make the game impossible. It also makes areas that you clear no longer interesting. You never have to go back for any reason.

Xenoblade addressed that issue by making certain areas filled with enemies you can't defeat at a certain level, but making it so there is incentive to go back to previous areas and finish exploring.

I don't hate those things, but they do bug me.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I hate it when JRPG's block off areas due to terrible reasons.

Pokemon is one of the biggest offenders of this.

Things such as a man "drawing a Pokemon footprint" just drives me insane.
Or when FF or Bravely Second just says "Now is not the right time to be here".

That just drives me insane. If I go to someplace, and get crushed due to high level enemies, then that is my problem. But arbitrarily locking off certain areas for meaningless reasons drives me insane.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I dislike the placing of super tough enemies in the first area, like in FF II (Not IV, II) If you go south as you start you'll randomly encounter an enemy you can't hope to beat.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Random encounters, awkward story telling, flat characters, weird anime/otaku style of clothes or hair.

Random encounters annoy me. Not for the fact that they exist. The issue is anytime I want to go anywhere, even backtracking to previous areas, I have to go through 50x battle along the way. I think the western RPGs do this much better. They separate the fight/dungeon sequences and the map/travel sequences very well most times. The separation of the two is something many JapRPGs do not do. Something I don't like.

Another thing I don't hate but also do not really like either is mana. Mana as a concept is such an over used idea. Either the games give you so little mana that you are artifically limited to how many big spells you can use, or yoiu get so much mana that you just cast spells every battle. A more unique idea needs to be thought up for this. Secret of Evermore had a unique idea for this. The game is average at best, but how it did spells was innovative and amazing. You found ingredients, in the world or bought from the shop keepers. The spells used up the ingredients bought in varying qualtities for each cast. A very unique way to do spells and gives people a use for money throughout the game. I don't think this is the solution to all RPGs, but a different way to do spells would be nice to see.

Djinn

and Tonic
When the story dictates I am supposed to lose a fight for storytelling purposes even though I am winning. I will beat everything that comes at me but the story states that the heroes lose this and the plot character/item/place is captured any way and I pointlessly wasted items and effort on nothing.

When the plot dictates what characters are supposed to be in my party when I am supposed to have a choice in the matter. I pick my teams the way I want them and I hate it when some other guy I never like and never use is required to be in there for some special mission or storypoint again. I get things like needing a thief for a spot where you need to break into a place or nab an item secretly, but requiring that I leave someone I like behind so I can take underleveled badly itemized Useless McBishiepants because there NEEDS to be some pointless cutscene in the next dungeon frustrates me.

D

Deleted member 81859

I actually very much dislike turn-based games. Funny, as I enjoy FE and Pokemon a lot. Playing through FFvii was a chore, but I'm glad I did. Traditional turn-base combat is just... no thanks. I don't have time for this.

Salem

SICK
Terrible menu systems, specially when I want to buy new Armour or weapons, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are examples of good systems of buying new equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom