• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Song of Storms Paradox

U

Urgh76

We all know there's a lot of fuss about how the Song of Storms came into being, since the man who teaches it to you says that he learned it from a kid with the same clothes with an ocarina 7 years ago.

But wait, you're just learning it then... How the hell could you learn it in the future by supposedly having taught him in the past, but you didnt cuz ur just learning it and..10011010010101010100101 *BOOM*

Anywho im getting off track, thoughts on this? :eek:carina:

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Even though it didn't happen in gameplay, it probably happened story-wise. Kinda like Zora's Domain never unfreezes in-game, but story-wise it does/will.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
"Marty, you're not thinking fourth-dimensionally!"

When Link goes from the past to the future, he is transported to a version of the future in which all the dungeons that he's completed as a child are complete, including Bottom of the Well. Because the Bottom of the Well must have already been done in the past, that means the Song of Storms must have already been played in that realities version of the future. The only reason you have to go there at all, is because otherwise you won't have the items from those dungeons, not being the Link who completed them.

The Link who originally plays the Song of Storms is not the same as the Link you control. He's the Link from THAT timeline's past which mostly parallels your own, not your own past. The difference is, that Link didn't make it past childhood for some reason. And in that timeline, either Link was more mischievous and invented the song, or the song existed somewhere in Hyrule (perhaps the Composer Brothers in that timeline wrote the Song of Storms instead of the Sun's Song, because they were trying to influence the weather instead of time).

After you play the Song of Storms as a kid, you recreate the same circumstances on your own timeline that allowed the other Link to access the well.

The question lingering in your mind is probably, "Well, what about the Magic Beans? They're only present in the future if you plant them in the past." This is going to get a little bit hairy, but bear with me. The magic of the beans somehow allows you to influence your counterpart on the timeline you visit in the future, that exists parallel to yourself, to plant a Magic Bean in the same place. Though the timelines are separate, magic on one can somewhat influence the other.

I consider this plot hole fixed. ^^

U

Urgh76

To both of you: Ummm What?! Ill think it over and give it some time, but other than that :?:

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
What everyone else said, or it was just an inconsistency that nintendo though would be interesting to throw in there.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I've thought about this too. What athenian200 said makes the most sense to me. The only other thing I can think of is maybe someone else (I know, unlikely) came in while Link was in the Sacred Realm aging and taught windmill guy the song of storms. He teaches it to future Link, who goes back in time and essentially changes the way that actually plays out in the future.

No, no, no. It's much simpler than all that Athenian. You only need one timeline to explain it, just one that alters as events are changed. :)

*The Problem*
The paradox in question here is that Link learns the song from Guru Guru in the future after it's been played for HIM, then goes back in the time and plays it, turning out to be the person who taught Guru Guru the song. It's a loop. The question is, where did the song originate?

*The Answer*
While we do not know the origins, we do know that at some point it was introduced to the loop. Imagine it this way... Say Link learned the song somewhere else. Like let's go with something along the lines of Zeruda's theory and say the Composer Brothers developed two songs, not just the Sun's Song, but the Song of Storms too. Now Link plays this for Guru Guru, wrecking the windmill and opening the well. Then Guru Guru teaches Link in the future, before he went back in time to learn the song, how to play the song, therefore changing the events of time. Here's a timeline...

1. Link wakes up in the future, completes everything up until the shadow temple.
2. Link goes back to the past, learns the song and plays it for Guru Guru.
*BAM!*
3. Guru Guru in the future teaches it to Link from 1. before he even goes back and learns it somewhere else.
4. Link goes back in time and plays the song he learned from Guru Guru in the future to open the well, teaching it to Guru Guru in the past so he'll teach it to Link in the future.

Timeline is changed. Paradox solved. :)

Jmonkey71

Master of Monkeys
I'm going to stick to my personal theory that it's a continuous circle, which has no clear beginning or end. It's like asking, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?". No one really knows.

Scythe-of-Chaos

I'm an assassin.... sshhh
i asume it has something to do with majoras mask, mabey kid link learned it from..flat or sharp i dont remeber which... and taught it to guruguru and then yo ufirst learn it in the future thay skewers off course which teaches you the song of storms

D

Deku Master

Link can learn the Song of Stroms in the future because Link taught it to the Music Man in the past. This enables Link as an adult to learn the song, go to the past, play the song, mess up the windmill, and access the well. It is all actually very simple in retrospect, but I'm not an expert on time parodoxes.

The real question is "Who knows the actual answer?"

Link can learn the Song of Stroms in the future because Link taught it to the Music Man in the past. This enables Link as an adult to learn the song, go to the past, play the song, mess up the windmill, and access the well. It is all actually very simple in retrospect, but I'm not an expert on time parodoxes.

The real question is "Who knows the actual answer?"
Likely no one. It was probably designed as-is, with no answer ever decided upon. Things like that aren't uncommon in story writing.

All we can do is come up with probable general scenarios, like mine. Inevitably it wouldn't had to go something like mine, I think. At least to start it.

Nine-tailed Fox

FUS RO DAH!!!!
But where did Guru-guru learn it? He's probably been sitting in the Windmill Hut long before Link left Kokiri Forest. So where did he get it? Darn Nintendo! Confusing us like this.

Austin

Austin
But where did Guru-guru learn it? He's probably been sitting in the Windmill Hut long before Link left Kokiri Forest. So where did he get it? Darn Nintendo! Confusing us like this.

It's possible that the melody itself is useless unless played by a magical instrument. I don't think Guru-Guru's music box has been enchanted in any way, so it did nothing for him. However, Link may have overheard it and played it, unaware that his instrument would cause something to happen.

I still think it's a paradox though.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
The only way to truly solve this is with a theory.

In order to be able to learn the Song of Storms from the Windmill person without having personally played it to him before, you would have to go to a future in which you have already played it before. However, I find this impossible because the past has yet to be altered by Link, and the past would thus alter the future. However, since this has not already happened, I can only come to one conclusion: someone else must have played the Song of Storms before.

This is the only possible way without tearing a rift in the Universe or causing minds to explode. What if someone, while Link was sleeping, went up to the guy and played the Song of Storms, caused the side effects, etc. Then, the well filled up again after a little bit of hard work. It is then that Link returns as a kid (Which this may turn heads or something) and plays the Song of Storms after having taught it 7 years ahead, thus draining the well and having them unable to bring it back a second time, making them look at the bottom of the well and blocking it up 7 years after.

So, yeah, that's my theory... >.>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom