• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The New Community Music Competition: Revised!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Hello everyone and welcome to the reinstallment of The Community Music Competition. I've been on hiatus with this competition for some time due to lack of available time, but now that I have gotten a little more, I'm pleased to inform everyone that it is coming back! And this time I'd also like to introduce my assistant, Violet!

Now since it's a been a while, I'm going to explain the rules and procedures once again.

This week I will be announcing the theme of the competition. Anyone is allowed to participate, and they do not need to tell me beforehand if they will or not. As soon as I announce the theme, each competitor can begin working on a song based on the theme. This song can be entirely sung, a cappella, instrumental, or any other medium. This song must be an original work of the participant, and can not be taken from somebody elses work. Doing so will disquallify the entrant from that weeks competition. After the deadline has passed, I will create a thread which will share each song entered. At that point the members of the forums will have the opportunity to vote for who they think had the best song in accordance with the theme. In the same thread I will announce the next theme, and the following week in the same manner, and so on and so forth.

Now here are some basic ground rules. For Basic Competition Rules, see this thread. Follow the basic competition rules first and foremost. This is absolute and any breach in these supersedes a breach in my competition's rules.

Follow the theme. Each week I'll announce a new theme. It is each entrant's job to follow it to the best of their ability. For some themes, it may be more difficult due to broader ideas of the theme (everyone views love a different way). However if the theme is a cover of a Legend of Zelda song, please don't enter a cover of the main theme of Metroid Prime 2.

Submit entries through the following websites: YouTube, SoundCloud, Dropbox. These sites are excellent sources of easy to access, free player sites. Although I've accepted download links in the past, I'm no longer doing so. They make the listening process extra work for the ZD members judging, and they don't want to spend extra time downloading your work.

Entries may follow any medium. As stated previously you are allowed to use any an all mediums available. Computer programs, instruments, singing, whatever you want. In addition all compositions can be recorded through any means. Computers, microphone, camera, etc. Please be sure to make all recordings fairly good in quality. It'll help your work sound better and the members will enjoy it more.

Covers and samples are on a week to week basis. You may sample and use covers only when approved in the announcement of the week's competition.

Post Feedback. This is directed at both competitors and spectators. Please post feedback on the works of others as much as possible. It's a good practice and it lets them know what others thought of their work. Please keep all feedback positive. Criticism is fine as long as it's done in a constructive or positive manner. For example "I didn't like your song as much because it was too heavy for my taste." and "Next time try making the melody a bit more defined." are both acceptable forms of criticism since they share a listener opinion of what could be done to improve the song. "I think your song is stupid. How could anyone ever like this garbage?!" is not acceptable. If there are any such comments the poster will be reported and dealt with by the mods. I will not allow demeaning comments in my competition

Above all else, have fun and don't be depressed if you lose. These competitions are supposed to be fun. It doesn't matter that lose as long as you had fun participating. Maybe you're new to making music and your first submission doesn't win. Don't get bummed out about it. You may find that you liked making music and that you want to work harder to try and win the next competition. Others may find that they can make songs for certain themes better than others. Overall this is great incentive to try and your hand at the competitions.

So now that rules have been covered, I think we're ready to start this competition off. Since it's the first round I think I'm gonna do this....

OPEN COMPETITION!

This round is going to be open to any music you want to enter, no special themes required. As such, you may make an original work or perform a cover of an already existing song.

You have until Sunday, June 23rd, 2013 at 8:00 PM EST to submit your entry.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom