• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Mystery Behind The Phantom Pain

Garo

Boy Wonder
Last night, December 7th, at the Spike VGAs, the world premiere trailer for a game called The Phantom Pain was shown. That's not uncommon; Dark Souls 2 was also announced with a trailer, and games like Skyrim and Arkham City have been announced at the show in previous years. What's odd is that this game was being developed by a studio called Moby **** Studio, one that the gaming industry has never heard from before. This would be their first game. They appeared to have no major publisher backing them, either, which begs the question: how could a small upstart studio afford placing a trailer for their game at the VGAs?

So that was fishy, and so kicks off the mystery of The Phantom Pain.

Not long after, the website for the studio was found. It's a very sparse website with hardly any actual content, and contains no real answers to the intriguing studio's history, other than the name of its CEO, Joakim Mogren. Mysterious.

Now the trailer itself presents a few interesting bits of information. It appears to be an action/stealth game in which you control a previously comatose patient who lost his left arm while soldiers of an unknown military force invade the hospital, and apocalyptic events (including a flaming unicorn and giant flaming whale) occur all around you. But the strangest thing is that the protagonist looks EXACTLY like Snake, the protagonist of the Metal Gear series. In fact, before the title dropped, I was convinced I was watching the trailer for a new Metal Gear game of some sort. After all, Kojima has been working on a secret project (referred to as Project OGRE) for some time now in addition to the previously announced Ground Zeroes. But no, it's called The Phantom Pain, and appears to have nothing to do with Kojima. But this is just where the weirdness starts.

People started thinking, and found a few interesting connections. Take the CEO's name: Joakim Mogren. The first name is an anagram for Kojima. The last name? Mogren = Mogren. Interesting. Very interesting. Then consider the protagonist, who is missing a left arm and appears to have amnesia, and looks like Snake. There are four individuals with the name Snake in the Metal Gear series - Naked Snake (or "Big Boss"), a former antagonist but current protagonist of a number of titles in the series; Solid Snake, the protagonist of the Metal Gear games and MGS1 and MGS4; Solidus Snake, the antagonist of MGS2; and Liquid Snake, the antagonist of MGS1. Liquid Snake lost his arm at the end of Metal Gear Solid, an arm that eventually was grafted onto Revolver Ocelot, turning him into Liquid Ocelot (basically allowing Liquid to control Ocelot). Are we looking at what happened to Liquid Snake after the events of Metal Gear Solid?

I think we are, because the trailer contains two more exciting nuggets of information. I'm going to hide these images behind a spoiler, because you may want to go see for yourself. At the end of the trailer, we see Liquid (I'm assuming he's Liquid, let's just go with it) slumped against a wall as a soldier examines him with a bright light. In the background, we see a pair of feet slowly rise into the air - and in the next frame, we can clearly see Psycho Mantis, the iconic boss from the first Metal Gear Solid game, floating in the air. Additionally, the title card for The Phantom Pain had a lot of strange typographical quirks, such as parts missing from letters and some extraneous lines floating around. A few people did some sleuthing and found a nicely concealed message in the title.

Psycho Mantis:
lEA9Z.png

Title:
1mDKE.png

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have just witnessed one of the most clever and intriguing game announcements of all time. Metal Gear Solid V, bring it on.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Hmm... What I find strange is, why now? With Revengeance just 2 months away, Ground Zeroes announced, and now Metal Gear Solid V? Just what exactly is Hideo Kojima plotting? I do distinctively remember Kojima saying that Ground Zeroes was to be something of an opening for Metal Gear Solid V. So maybe your theory is off, and MGS V is going to be directly tied to Ground Zeroes. I also highly doubt that character in the trailer was Liquid, his hair style looks a lot closer to Naked and Solid, even the hair color. But what do I know?

Garo

Boy Wonder
Yeah, I've started to think a bit differently. The character in the trailer is definitely Big Boss, because some images surfaced comparing the scars in the Phantom Pain trailer to the scars in the Ground Zeroes trailer. Now, I'm pretty sure that what we're seeing is still Metal Gear Solid 5, but that, instead of Ground Zeroes being a separate game, it's like the Tanker chapter or the Virtuous Mission: it's literally the prologue to the full game Metal Gear Solid 5.

Additionally, there's this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1405230&l=ae6163c78a&id=141562502557584

"Prologue Films" is run by one Kyle Cooper, who has designed the title sequences for Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3.

Kirino

Tatakae
Yeah, I've started to think a bit differently. The character in the trailer is definitely Big Boss, because some images surfaced comparing the scars in the Phantom Pain trailer to the scars in the Ground Zeroes trailer. Now, I'm pretty sure that what we're seeing is still Metal Gear Solid 5, but that, instead of Ground Zeroes being a separate game, it's like the Tanker chapter or the Virtuous Mission: it's literally the prologue to the full game Metal Gear Solid 5.

Additionally, there's this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1405230&l=ae6163c78a&id=141562502557584

"Prologue Films" is run by one Kyle Cooper, who has designed the title sequences for Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3.

If you're trying to say Ground Zeroes is just part of MGS5, and not a real game, I highly doubt that. Ground Zeroes is a real game, and is completely seperate from MGS5. Besides, Kojima even said Project OGRE and Ground Zeroes are seperate. If, however, you mean that Ground Zero's story is a prolouge to MGS5's story, then that seems plausible enough. The sprites in MG and MG2 are ambiguous enough so that we wouldn't notice a robotic arm, and in MGS4, Big Boss's arm was covered. It's probably Big Boss, but I don't see the need for Kojima to make another game featuring Big Boss, especially with Ground Zeroes coming out.

Garo

Boy Wonder
If you're trying to say Ground Zeroes is just part of MGS5, and not a real game, I highly doubt that. Ground Zeroes is a real game, and is completely seperate from MGS5. Besides, Kojima even said Project OGRE and Ground Zeroes are seperate. If, however, you mean that Ground Zero's story is a prolouge to MGS5's story, then that seems plausible enough. The sprites in MG and MG2 are ambiguous enough so that we wouldn't notice a robotic arm, and in MGS4, Big Boss's arm was covered. It's probably Big Boss, but I don't see the need for Kojima to make another game featuring Big Boss, especially with Ground Zeroes coming out.

pp-5pmpt4.jpg

"From FOX, two phantoms were born."

001gfa.jpg

Same gear on the soldiers.

jQV8v.jpg

Definitely Big Boss, and definitely Big Boss from Ground Zeroes as the identical facial scars will attest.

MGS5 and Ground Zeroes are almost certainly the same game, and I'd wager that "Ground Zeroes" and "The Phantom Pain" are just the names of the trailer, with the real subtitle to be announced later. Furthermore, if we look at the things Kojima actually said about Project Ogre, we can see he was playing coy and never directly said that Ground Zeroes wasn't Project Ogre:

Kojima said:
"Project Ogre is what the project that Ogre appears. Ogre does not appear in "MGS Ground Zeroes" trailer."
Source: Project Ogre is not Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - IGN

That doesn't rule out that Ground Zeroes is Project Ogre; just that Ogre hasn't appeared in the trailer. Further, they earlier said regarding Ground Zeroes and MGS5:

Kojima said:
We're not gonna say it's [Ground Zeroes] Five just yet. But, we are gonna say it's a prologue.
Source: Metal Gear 25th Anniversary Conference: The Future of FOX - PAX 2012 - IGN Video ; around 48 minute mark.

It's incredibly possible they rolled the story of Ground Zeroes into a prologue mission for MGS5, and even likely that this happened given that they weren't ready to call it 5 "just yet". I find it extremely unlikely that Kojima would be able to work on three games concurrently, and that two of them would be full on Metal Gear Solid titles with a mysterious third one yet to be announced. And of course there's still Metal Gear Rising in the offing.

Kirino

Tatakae
More comparisons.

Metal-Gear-solid-5-300x168.jpg

original.jpg

Also, note how the demo for GZ states that "From Fox, two Phantoms were born." Phantom Pain is also a real disease that can cause hallucinations. Just some things I found interesting.

Perhaps all the hallucinations are being caused by Psycho Mantis, and that they are Big Boss's memories haunting him? If we accept that GZ is the prolouge to the full game of MGS5 like you said, then MGS5 would be a sequel to PW that takes place in the late 1970's. Perhaps connections could be made with MG and MG2 in The Phantom Pain(TPP)? The scientist/doctor and the sprite from MG/MG2 look very similar, and for all we know, MGS5 could cover a large period of time, perhaps ending in a confrontation with Snake and Big Boss from the very first MG. There are some questions that need to be answered, like why there was a British flag, and why did Big Boss have a robotic arm? Like I said, a robotic arm would be perfectly possible, since his full arm is never really shown. Did Kojima really plan this far ahead? Everything fits together so perfectly, so I wouldn't be suprised. Makers of great series do this. The author of the Harry Potter books had everything planed out for the whole series before he/she even started writing. Anyways, this game will probably deal with the height of the conflict between Big Boss and The Patriots, and with the sons of Big Boss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom