• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Legendary Legend of the Legend of Zelda

skybird11

state alchemist
first off, think about every other game that has one or more sequals. they last maybe a few years, if lucky then a decade. and the graphical style probly never or almost never changes. also those series usually have only a few games.

now think about the legend of zelda. zelda has been around 25 years, two decades and a half! the graphics are different for almost EVERY game. AND the series has over 15 games. what's more is that these games have had a large, consistant fanbase from day one.

if that doesn't make the legend of zelda legendary, then i dont know what does. I just wanted to say, congratulations zelda, nintendo, miyamoto and everyone else!

now i am aware there are a few games that do rival zelda in the ways listed above such as final fantcy or kingdom hearts. but they're nothing compared to the awsome might of zelda.

long live the legend of zelda!

p.s. I hope this is the right place to post this.

Last edited:

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
Hyrule in the winter, Canada in the summer
I must say...the title alone caught my attetion.
Zelda games are what makes being a gamer so enjoyable today.
Without them, a good portion of my childhood would be lost to...hmmm....reruns of the goonies or something like that.
Anyway, Zelda is a Legend, like the name suggests.
Let the Legend live on forever!

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Well I don't think that it's fair to compare Mario with Zelda directly. Sure, Mario has been around for 30 years now and has appeared in many more games but the difference is that Zelda has always been limited to the same genre (Action Adventure) of games since it started (only exception might be Link's Crossbow Training if you want to count that). Mario, on the other hand, has been in a much broader range of games, ranging from the classical platformer to RPGs and racing games etc.. So Mario can be seen as "selling out", a trademark slapped onto very many different games which aren't classically Mario games in order to push sales. If we only accept classical Mario games (platforming) without the many spinoffs, then the series are comparable in success, having a similar number of games:
Console: Donkey Kong (81), SMB (85), SMB2 (88), SMB3 (90), SMW (90), YI (95), SM64 (96), SMS (02), SMG (07), NSMW (09), SMG2 (10)
Handheld: SML (89), SML2 (92), NSMB (06)
This makes 14 main non-spinoff non-remake platforming Mario games, compared to 14 Zelda games of that category (I'm including SS and excluding FS(A) and CD-i here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom