• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Hidden Skills: More than just teachings?

The Hidden Skills, as we know, are 7 skills that are obtainable in Twilight Princess that allow Link to do extremely advanced sword techniques compared to the typical slashes and jump attack he already knows. But, where did they originate? The most commonly believed idea is the Hero of Time created them, and his regrets were stemmed from him not being able to teach anybody else these powerful moves. However, look at this quote...
You have at last mastered all of the hidden skills. Although I accepted life as the hero, I could not convey the lessons of that life to those who came after.

It simply appears that he regrets that he couldn't teach those who came after, relatives or not, what it meant to be a Hero, and couldn't teach them the importance of courage and protecting their kingdom from all that would oppose it. The Hidden Skills have nothing to do with it. However, one thing I'd like to note that the Hero's Shade says is this:
Those are for only for the one who carries the blood of the hero...the one whose spirit is that of the sublime beast.

It's as if it's saying that anybody who has the blood of the Hero has the ability to learn these sacred techniques... But the question is, does Link truly have to learn them, or is it his birthright to wield these skills in battle? Let's see; The Hero of Time clearly knows them due to his abilities as the Hero's Shade, the Hero of Twilight now knows them because of him being taught, and, well, that's the only officially confirmed connection. But, what if...

In Wind Waker, Link shows clear mastery of the Helm Splitter and the Back Slice, completing them with ease without being demonstrated how to do them, and, while Link may have been given instructions on how to do the Ending Blow in Skyward Sword, he still was able to perform the Shield Attack with no instruction. The Great Spin is a hard to guess subject, since it's more or less taught in the series. Regardless, why does Link seem to more often than not understand these techniques? Are they possibly some sort of abilities that the first Hero possessed, and they were passed down as well, similar to the green garb and the blue eyes/brown to blonde hair? I'm just going to stop rambling now since I'd like to see what you all think of this subject; are these techniques about as special as the Tiger Scrolls, or do they have a special meaning that goes deeper than that? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom