• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Dangerous 5: Where are they now?

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
Yo, this is just a follow-up article for the upcoming 10th anniversary of Electronic Gaming Magazine's 2006 edition, where they highlighted the 5 (well, technically 6) most dangerous professional gamers of the time.

#5 - The Kid: 'Lil Poison'
Game: Halo 2
Victor DeLeon III made his debut in the professional league at the tender age of 6, making him the second youngest pro gamer from any league in history. Don't let that fool you, he plays an extremely adaptive style making it impossible to predict his next move; one of his results from the 2006 MLG season was second place in the FFA Halo 2 Tournament with over 550 entrants. Despite currently being 18, his last known activity within the competitive realm of Gaming was in 2009. It is likely he has relegated making his opponents cry in frustration to his spare time instead.

#4 - The Power Duo: OGRE 1 & 2
Game: Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2
Twin brothers Dan and Tom Ryan began their gaming careers playing in the underground Halo Tournament scene in the early 2000's, having much success and eventually making a breakthrough onto the professional stage. Each of them boasted solid individual results playing for other teams in 4v4s, but they cemented a reputation for themselves by being an unbeatable doubles team between 2004 and '06, with the map 'Chill Out' being nicknamed 'Ogre City' on the professional circuit. They are noted for making up 2 slots of the USA team that took the 2005 World Cyber Games crown in Halo 2. They never dropped below second place at Doubles Tournaments, eventually earning themselves the name 'Final Boss.'

Between 2008 and 2011, The duo drifted apart, leaving OGRE 2 to continue playing Halo tournaments, even forming the God Squad during the Halo: Reach era. It wasn't to last however, as he stopped playing Halo in 2013, and announced his retirement from competitive gaming in 2014.

Whilst OGRE1 has moved to Australia and ceased activity as a professional Gamer in 2009, his Brother made a return to the American circuit, and still competes in Halo 2: Anniversary and Halo 5 tournaments in the professional league to this day.

#3 - The Dragon Puncher: 'JinMaster'
Game: Tekken 5, various
Michael Brandt is an interesting case. The winner of Tekken 5 in 2006, and the only piece of **** in the FGC that puts Triforce to shame in terms of scumbaggery. He was noted for being able to change aggression tactics on a dime, playing a mix of the Turtle and Pit Bull styles. I couldn't find much info on his personal life to date, aside from several assault cases and a rape he committed in 2013. To this day he remains the human embodiment of pure trash.

#2 - The Duper: 'Ken'
Game: Super Smash Bros. Melee
Moving on. Ken Hoang is someone I highly respect, becoming famous in the 2003-'07 era for his crisp Marth play (and an infamous KO setup called the Ken combo) and being basically undefeated in tournament, winning the MLG National Championship in consecutive years in 2004 and 5, and forming an unbeatable duo with Isai, a Smasher noted for regularly sandbagging in Singles. 'El Choclato Diablo' had their final appearance at Super Champ Combo 2007. Ken lost a total of 3 individual sets between 2004 and 2006, to Isai and PC Chris, retiring from Professional Melee at the end of 2006. He was a contestant in the popular series 'Survivor' in 2008, finishing in 5th place overall.

In 2012, he made a return to the Competitive scene in SSBM, being Sponsored alongside Korean DJ in 2014 by Team Liquid, becoming the first Smashers to play for what was known as a StarCraft team at the time. He consistently places top 32 in Tournaments, with his most recent significant result being 13th at EVO 2015. He is one of the only non-Halo players to have made this list.

#1 - The Damsel: 'Athena Twin'
Game: Halo 2
Amber Dalton, a Professional Halo player during the 2006 and '07 season, was noted for her Run and Gun play style (and attempting to lull opponents into a false sense of security pregame) in 2006 particularly, and co-founded the PMS clan with her twin sister in 2002. They both were a notable online presence in Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, being amongst the highest ranked players. In 2007, Amber was ranked in to the top 10 players on the Fight Night Power Rankings.

Since 2011 she has been an employee with Twitch, working as a director of Marketing Events.

There we have it folks, the most dangerous gamers on the 2006 professional circuit.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Top 5 most dangerous gamers list not having Daigo, Justin Wong, or Mew2King is just crazy. All three of these players were well known in 06.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I'm surprised OGRE2 isn't higher on the list, let alone number 1.
A damn goat if there ever was one. Not just one of the best in Halo esports, but literally any esports.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
Top 5 most dangerous gamers list not having Daigo, Justin Wong, or Mew2King is just crazy. All three of these players were well known in 06.
Without a doubt, the Magazine was more focused on Halo specifically as an eSport at the time. Poison and Athena, whilst solid gamers in their own right (and probably capable of kicking my ass at a lot of them >.>) had few significant results that I could find in professional tournaments. I'd say their age and gender, respectively, is what made them noteworthy individuals within pro gaming at the time.

M2K hadn't won a major at the time, and I think his best placing to date was 3rd at Pound 1 and MLG Chicago. '07 onwards would've definitely been his era tbh. But yeah on results alone he was definitely a more dangerous gamer than #5 and #1.

Daigo and Wong could've made the list just on the clip from EVO '04 being the most hype thing since ever.

Last edited:

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
I'm surprised OGRE2 isn't higher on the list, let alone number 1.
A damn goat if there ever was one. Not just one of the best in Halo esports, but literally any esports.
Keep in mind that OGRE 2's dominance ramped up a lot after the issue was published. His era probably puts even Ken to shame with how absurdly consistent he was, even without his Brother backing him up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom