• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Amber Relic

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
In-game Description said:
You got an Amber Relic! It's an amber-colored chunk of stone. Nobody knows why it's shaped this way.

Amber_Relic_(Skyward_Sword).png

According to what the game says, nobody is quite sure why Amber Relics -- and Dusk Relics for that matter -- are shaped the way they are. This may seem stupid to post in the theory section, but I feel that it's at least up for some discussion. I feel that the Amber Relic and the Dusk Relic are the franchise's way of expressing the Anima & Animus (Yin & Yang).

First of all, the shapes are awfully similar to that of the Yin & Yang, and at first glance, I instantly made the connection. On a more deeper tone, I noticed the color representations both had to offer. The Amber Relic shines with a Gold color, which is archetypal for happiness and good fortune. Whereas, the Dusk Relic shines with a dark purple tone, which would often symbolize nobility or power; however, I've also notice evident shades of black or gray which (in this case) would symbolize mystery and the unknown. I believe it's those two specifically, because Silent Realms, the location in which Dusk Relics are found within, are mysterious and is truly a world unknown to all others with the exception of a select few.

What are your thoughts? Do you feel that this was what the franchise was trying to convey? Or do you think I'm overthinking it? Discuss.

Dusk_Relic_(Skyward_Sword).png

Cfrock

Keep it strong
When I first saw it I just assumed it was a magatama, a word I only know because of Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. Something to do with Japanese mythology or some such. It's quite likely the design at least of these relics was based on such objects.

Magatama

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Wow I actually never noticed this before but I think it's a great analogy that you've made here, the shapes do seem to represent the typical shape of "Yin and Yang".

There is also the fact about what you about, one relic appears in the normal world of Hyrule while the other appears in the Silent Realm, now in my theory I believe that the Silent Realm and the Sacred Realm are as one. Both appear to be a mirror to the real world, in any they exist within the same space but in a different world. This quote from Sheik is one of the only quotes we have on just what exactly is the Sacred Realm...
[ilquote=Sheik] "The resting place of the sacred triangle, the Sacred Realm, is a mirror that reflects what is in the heart...the heart of one who enters it..."[/ilquote]

So in a way both seem to be this mirror of the world, now we know that the Dark World was confirmed to be the Sacred Realm. In the prologue to A Link to the Past it is said that Ganon was sealed in the Sacred Realm however his heart was not pure so the world transformed into what we know as the" Dark World". Now of we're going off this notation that whoever enters the realm it generally affects the appearance due to ones heart then if a person with a good hear (Link) were to enter then it would appear differently to that of what we saw in the Dark World.

If we look at the Silent Realm then we can see it appears almost spirit like, it has a very light theme which could be the representation of Link's heart being "good".

I know I trialed off just a bit but what I wanted to prove is that "Yin and Yang" basically act as a balance and one cannot exists without the other... Now Princess Zelda also refers to this when talking about the Mirror of Twilight (completely off topic I know) but in this case it's referring to the mirror being the balance, which is what "Yin and Yang" essentially is. So it could very well be that the two are a symbol of sorts that they are the balance of the two worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom