• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Amazing Drainpunch Abuser Conkeldurr

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
Quite possibly one of the goofiest looking Pokemon introduced in Black and White Conkeldurr has skyrocketed to the OU tier in Black and White's online metagame. I hate fighting this thing, and generally any fighting type in Black and White. They introduced a lot of annoying fighting types and the Flying and Psychic guys just can't keep up. Once Conkeldurr sets up a Work Up then it's pretty much over in my opinion. It's hard to find a good and reliable Flying type special attack to counter the rise in defense which Conkeldurr relies on so heavily. I've gotten lucky with some amazing hits from Excadrill online, but still couldn't pull out a full sweep. Conkeldurr is a huge obstacle that I don't like to deal with online.

MarkaenShoque92

Hero of Hoenn
I too have noticed a good number of Fighting types being used a lot lately. While there really aren't that many new Psychic or Flying types in the current OU tier (Reuiniclus is probably the best new Psychic and Tornadus is questionably good), there are some old ones that can still crush Fighting types.

Psychic types are probably your best bet because Flying types (most of them, at least) are weak to Stealth Rock and are lacking outside of the Dragons (in my opinion). One possibility to counter Conkeldurr (and most of the Fighting types) is Alakazam. Now that he has Magic Guard, he can safely use a Life Orb and unleash a super powered Psychic (plus is immune to entry hazards). The only issue with Alakazam is his insanely low Defense that could be taken advantage of by Bullet Punch or possibly Mach Punch.

Latios or Latias are probably a safer option with a much better defense, but they are weak to the numerous overpowered Dragon types (which includes themselves). On the flip side, this does mean they can take down Dragons, but that isn't the point of this post since there are no Dragon/Fighting Pokemon.

Starmie is also a personal favorite of mine since it has a great speed and overall solid stats. Just be careful of Ferrathorn because he can wall pretty much all of your best attacks.

The main issue you might come across are the Fighting types that aren't weak to Psychic (Lucario and Scrafty are probably the more popular ones). Your options to fight these include Focus Blast (way too inaccurate for my taste) and Hidden Power Fighting (might be a little too weak to successfully OTK). At least Lucario can be taken out by an ally with a well-timed Earthquake or Fire Blast, and Scrafty is easily dispatched by Bugs (enter Scizor).

You are completely right about the Flying types. The only usable Flying attacks I see are Hurricane (inaccurate but improves with the o-so-common rain) and possibly Acrobatics. Acrobatics, while not a special move like you were hoping for, can be combined with the Flying Gem to have a power of 165 before STAB. To me, the best users of this combo are Gliscor and Tornadus, but Gliscor has the upper hand because he isn't weak to Stealth Rock. They really should add better Flying type attacks to the game (or at least better Flying Pokemon to take advantage of moves such as Brave Bird), but hopefully this eases the pain of the Fighting type.

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
I too have noticed a good number of Fighting types being used a lot lately. While there really aren't that many new Psychic or Flying types in the current OU tier (Reuiniclus is probably the best new Psychic and Tornadus is questionably good), there are some old ones that can still crush Fighting types.

Psychic types are probably your best bet because Flying types (most of them, at least) are weak to Stealth Rock and are lacking outside of the Dragons (in my opinion). One possibility to counter Conkeldurr (and most of the Fighting types) is Alakazam. Now that he has Magic Guard, he can safely use a Life Orb and unleash a super powered Psychic (plus is immune to entry hazards). The only issue with Alakazam is his insanely low Defense that could be taken advantage of by Bullet Punch or possibly Mach Punch.

Latios or Latias are probably a safer option with a much better defense, but they are weak to the numerous overpowered Dragon types (which includes themselves). On the flip side, this does mean they can take down Dragons, but that isn't the point of this post since there are no Dragon/Fighting Pokemon.

Starmie is also a personal favorite of mine since it has a great speed and overall solid stats. Just be careful of Ferrathorn because he can wall pretty much all of your best attacks.

The main issue you might come across are the Fighting types that aren't weak to Psychic (Lucario and Scrafty are probably the more popular ones). Your options to fight these include Focus Blast (way too inaccurate for my taste) and Hidden Power Fighting (might be a little too weak to successfully OTK). At least Lucario can be taken out by an ally with a well-timed Earthquake or Fire Blast, and Scrafty is easily dispatched by Bugs (enter Scizor).

You are completely right about the Flying types. The only usable Flying attacks I see are Hurricane (inaccurate but improves with the o-so-common rain) and possibly Acrobatics. Acrobatics, while not a special move like you were hoping for, can be combined with the Flying Gem to have a power of 165 before STAB. To me, the best users of this combo are Gliscor and Tornadus, but Gliscor has the upper hand because he isn't weak to Stealth Rock. They really should add better Flying type attacks to the game (or at least better Flying Pokemon to take advantage of moves such as Brave Bird), but hopefully this eases the pain of the Fighting type.

All of these points are great. I feel like Fighting has taken a prominent role in todays OU metagame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom