• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tetris gets trilogy as story 'too big' to fit into single film

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
'Its not to make more money'

It will have a dark and mature storyline, with a team of pro writers behind it. It will be both captivating and moving.

Dan

“We’re not going to have blocks with feet running around the movie,”

I'm disappointed already not a true Tetris movie is it then m8.
In all seriousness I am curious as to where this is all going. To have a trilogy centred around the game Tetris sounds bizarre.

Captain N made it work once, but twice stretched it and if these people think that tetris, of all things, needs a trilogy they will be looking for new work, cuz they're smoking something powerful. o_O

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Tetris Trilogy?
0fd058edfbfadc3330702dddf4f25b94.jpg

I can't even imagine how they could make one movie out of tetris, and now they make a trilogy out of it.
Though I'm curious how the movies turn out, maybe its actually good.

Djinn

and Tonic
It better be about Russian guys trying to build things by dropping large blocks from space. Anything less will just be disappointing.

But they have made movies out of Rock-em Sock-em Robots, Battleship and lately Emojis.

I just wish movies would be made from actual stories instead of a thing on some producer's desk.

Dan

It better be about Russian guys trying to build things by dropping large blocks from space. Anything less will just be disappointing.

But they have made movies out of Rock-em Sock-em Robots, Battleship and lately Emojis.

I just wish movies would be made from actual stories instead of a thing on some producer's desk.

True, but it's easier to envision and build narratives around those simple games since there's people and or robots with a clear objective to beat the other. Hell, I can think of a silly story concept for a Snakes and Ladders movie.

It would be set in a locked down building, within it are a group of 6 people, of which have been placed in the building by the mad billionaire. Inside this building are a group of giant snakes and the only way out is to make it to the top via ladders.

I can't think of any story built around a game of Tetris.
Unless it's a drama centred around a game of Tetris. Maybe some kid gets into the Tetris championships and has to win the game for fatherly approval!

Djinn

and Tonic
True, but it's easier to envision and build narratives around those simple games since there's people and or robots with a clear objective to beat the other. Hell, I can think of a silly story concept for a Snakes and Ladders movie.

It would be set in a locked down building, within it are a group of 6 people, of which have been placed in the building by the mad billionaire. Inside this building are a group of giant snakes and the only way out is to make it to the top via ladders.

I can't think of any story built around a game of Tetris.
Unless it's a drama centred around a game of Tetris. Maybe some kid gets into the Tetris championships and has to win the game for fatherly approval!
Whatever movie they did get is apparently too much story for a single movie so they made a trilogy out of it somehow.

but a few random things I have seen

Aliens have taken over the planet. The only hope for retaking Earth is the new orbital railgun that fires a variety of shaped rails at the enemy below piloted by Cpt Sergei Petrov.

Old soviet superweapon that has been sitting in orbit since 1986 has somehow malfunctioned and started working on it's own, firing specifically shaped asteroids at major cities on Earth. Earth's only hope is to neatly stack the asteroids as they fall as to mitigate the damage. But the Russian scientists that made it in the 80's reveal a deadly secret about the device, if they stack the asteroids blocks for too long then it will increase the rate of fire.

It's an alternate 1980s. The Soviet Union has suddenly deployed an orbital weapon that showers the US with giant metallic blocks. Fortunately, connecting these blocks into patterns with magnets causes them to vanish, and--I can't go on.

SUMMARY OF THE FIRST MOVIE

In SciFi-verse #29091, humanity is attacked by hostile alien race #9634. Using orbital weapons platforms as their primary defense, humanity holds its ground relatively well -- but not without losses.

Fortunately, whatever team engineered these weapon platforms made them relatively easy to assemble: United Earth launches parts into orbit and the pieces connect. Unfortunately, these folks are assholes and made the pieces non-uniform, forcing whoever assembles them to think of appropriate formations.

Cue our protagonist, Gary Stu. He's just a normal guy... except he's played by some handsome actor who could make a crowd of girls swoon with a smile. But trust me, he's a normal guy. Look, the directors'll go out of their way showing Gary's dead-end job at the convenience store of the future, his tiny apartment, and his inability to get a girlfriend; we all know that's supposed to mean something. He's got a good attitude and a sharp mind. In fact, every night he jumps on the internet of the future and puts together these weapon platforms. Apparently, he's the only guy who can do it.

Tetris? What's that? There's no Tetris here!

He does something stupid, and now the space military wants him. They try to persuade him to join up, and he's like, "No thanks, I prefer my minimum wage job." So they pull out Mary Sue, and little Gary wakes up. They shove Gary up into space without the least bit of military training, and he assembles new platforms there with Mary as eye candy.

Did I say eye candy? I meant as his assistant. I know she doesn't look military, but trust me her stunt double is great. She's super-competent except when it comes to Tetris assembling platforms.

Where was I? Oh, right. Mary hates Gary, since he's kind of normal, and women are judgmental like that. But that'll change. You see, the aliens decide to renew their attacks. They like to sit on their asses when their enemies are scrambling to reconstruct their defenses, you see. It's kind of convenient.

It just so happens that their attack right now is so severe that it's up to Gary to save the day. While Mary is stressing over some issue, Gary's cool. He builds up that platform over there, hovering in a key strategic position. It isn't being attacked even though it's clearly vulnerable to attack, and if a competent commander was there he'd get his guys to knock it out of orbit. Never mind that; Gary gets the damn platform up and running, and soon alien ships plummet into the terran atmosphere.

Yay, day saved. Mary's got goo-goo eyes for Gary now, but let's keep that a secret.

Meanwhile, back in alien command, Competent Alien Commander wants his unstoppable assault to go through. It's a really good plan that'll destroy Earth defenses and open up the planet for... for something. Actually, why are they fighting Earth to begin with? What, just ignore that? Okay. Well, Commander's chuckling in his control center. Guess he's the undisputed bad guy. That's a shame; his armor looks wicked. All his shinies look wicked. Especially that gun that shoots green plasma bolts, which he used to kill his messenger in stereotypical ruthless leader fashion.

What's Gary doing now? Wow, he's nabbed a date with Mary? Good going normal guy, you scored a chick way out of your league!

He manages to unlock the kiss scene right before the Commander starts his assault.

Oh, no! This assault is pretty bad. This time, it looks like the humans might lose. Gary's doing his best playing space Tetris construction but those alien ships look pretty lethal. Where'd these xenos get these ships, anyway? I'm surprised they're waiting till now to use 'em. And, ****, Mary, why? She's in trouble! Gary, you're a piece of **** soldier, but you better go help her. Alright, girl saved, she's head-over-heels for you man. Now you just gotta save the day like you're supposed to. The Commander's even giving you a window of opportunity: he's left like six platforms standing in the wake of his awesome attack. You can just finish building them up and they'll rek that Conveniently Placed Weak Spot on the Commander's ship.

Gary makes it, of course. Commander dies with his ship since he's got no escape pods. Mary's just about to drag Gary off to a private room.

Oh, and there are explosions. Lots of them.

PART ONE END

The climax:

"My god, we just screwed up placing that I-block!"

"Dammit! Those Z-blocks are just gonna keep piling up! Tell 'em we don't have much time, and may god have mercy on our souls!"

RinkuTheRuffian

Punk Rock Trash
“We’re not going to have blocks with feet running around the movie ... But it’s great that people think so. It sets the bar rather low!”

Larry Kasanoff definitely has the right idea taking advantage of the masses' assumptions to undermine their expectations, he seems pretty confident in this movie. And why shouldn't he? If you can write a concept for a Tetris movie that takes a mature approach and is longer than a page of script, you already have a good head on your shoulders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom