• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Taking Notes While Gaming

Not Take Mirror

Sage of Ice
Am I the only one who does this? I like to aim for 100% or as close as possible and I like to do it with minimal use of guides. Maybe it's because I don't have the best memory but I want to make sure I don't forget or overlook something. In Zelda games, for example, I talk to someone and they want a certain item. It's too early in the game to get that item and by the time I get that item, I may forget that there was a particular person that wanted it. If I make a note of it though, I'm less likely to forget it.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I grew up on games that had no automaps or questlogs, so we really had no choice... I used to do it a lot more, but games don't require you do much for yourself any more.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I used to take notes while gaming, but then I took an Ingame Tutorial to the brain.

Honestly, I only took notes while playing oldbies games like MM and backwards. But, nowadays, games give far too many hints and guides to things that note-taking is just obsolete.

Deeds

no text
I've only taken a note while gaming once, and that's when you had to write down the Bombers hideout password in MM. Good times.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I usually rely on my memory when playing a video game. I never take notes for anything, unless I'm playing Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks, because they have an in-game note-taking system. Besides those two, though, I don't take notes for any video game I play. My memory always works just fine.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I only take notes for games like Metroid, Zelda, and Final Fantasy. It's really useful because all three of those series have tons of items to find and tons of things to do.

LANZZ

Scarecrow
Yes, I used to take notes while gaming because I also like to aim for 100% completion. I usually write my play-through in Microsoft Word.

Sometime, when i completed the game, i rewrite the notes and turn it into the walkthrough. Then I'll posting it on GameFaq...

I really never take notes as I can remember most/everything the game throws at me. However, games these days give too many hints/guides such as Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time 3D (Although I Never Use Them).

Sometimes I'll go to a walkthrough online and take notes so I know what I'm doing while I play, but that's pretty much it. I only take notes about the actual game if I need to memorize a passcode or something.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
That's a really good idea, actually. I think I'm going to do that from now on. I also have a terrible memory, and that's part of the reason I end up missing literally just one or two things at the end of a playthrough that prevent me from getting to 100% (one Heart Piece in LttP, one in SS HM, two in OoT MQ, one Ocean Bunny in ST... and I have no idea which, because I don't know which ones I've already gotten :().

Presently, I only take notes for specific puzzles that really require it -- although even that I have not done for a while. I did it a couple times in Majora's Mask, though, such as in the spider house where the Stalchildren told you which color mask to hit or something in what order (eh, I don't really remember the puzzle, but I have the notes, so I'm basing what I think the puzzle was off of those XD). And I wrote down the Bombers' code, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom