• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sweeney Todd: Did You Like It?

Veely

Unwanted ZD Member
Ok, Sorry to mods if there is one based on here...

So I ask this because My school is doing a play on it. I have never saw the movie (but I plan to... Maybe, if you give me an answer.) I might be in it my school version but I don't know (I would sing in the choir). Movie came out in 2007 (yes a long way back..) and I have never saw it. My sister said it was good and that I wouldn't like it (because I get sick when I see guts) But I wanted to know what you all thought of the movie. Did you like it or hate it? Everyone has an opinion so I am going to get mad. I do like Johnny Depp but was he good as Mr Sweeney Todd..

Please tell me if you liked it or not...

Johnny Depp is cool! Just not hot.. for me that is.. :P

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Your school is going a play for it? That's cool! I would certainly participate if my school did such a thing.
I thought the movie was quite decent and entertaining; I enjoyed it.
There's not really guts in the movie, but rather a lot of blood...He slits peoples throats, but doesn't really pull out their insides.
If you can handle blood then you'll be fine.
I also hear some of my friends had trouble understanding what they said in some parts of the movie and had to have the subtitles on....I didn't have this problem, but I suppose it's something to keep in mind.

B

BlackDragon88

Sweeney Todd was an exellent story of how revenge get to far! I love the story and love the movie and as valexi said only blood when slitting the throats of his victims. I would love to see pictures if you go for the choir part!

Veely

Unwanted ZD Member
Your school is going a play for it? That's cool! I would certainly participate if my school did such a thing.
I thought the movie was quite decent and entertaining; I enjoyed it.
There's not really guts in the movie, but rather a lot of blood...He slits peoples throats, but doesn't really pull out their insides.
If you can handle blood then you'll be fine.
I also hear some of my friends had trouble understanding what they said in some parts of the movie and had to have the subtitles on....I didn't have this problem, but I suppose it's something to keep in mind.

Both interesting! I can handle blood..

In terms of the film, it's a good musical film, but I found there were parts of the film were I couldn't really care less about. I just found myself wanting to find something to do at these points, as I was rather bored. I guess that I'm just not a fan of the musical genre, seeing as I have never actually watched one from start to finish.

Beeker

Wild Card
I've seen the movie and I enjoy it. I find it entertaining. In my opinion, it's a good musical, even though I'm not even sure what a good musical needs to be(I haven't watched too many). All there really is is blood, I don't remember any bad language or anything like that in there... just some violence is all.:P
I actually want to see what the play is like. That's neat that you're school is doing it!

Yeah, its a pretty good movie, but its done in CGI and a lot of the music is pretty corny. But I'd recommend you watch it, but not if you are really disgusted by blood.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Sweeny Todd is easily one of my all-time favorite musicals. I have seen both the Broadway and movie versions, and while it's unfortunate that the theme was left out of the film, I have to say I love the movie better. Nothing quite rivals the gothic atmosphere of a London choked with smoke and grime, and the Dickens-like look of everything in the movie really made the music and story feel even stronger. I also don't generally like Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, or Tim Burton, but they all seemed perfect for the movie and I was shocked that Depp sang so well.

The original is good too, of course, I just prefer the dark atmosphere of the film.

As for the gore in the film, yeah, there's an awful lot of it, but it's very over-the-top. Check out some clips on youtube and if you're okay with one kill, you'll probably be okay with all of them. I hardly noticed the gore, but the dreary tone and depressing story got to me instead. It's got plenty of humor (which, contrary to popular belief, I think the film did capture) but overall

Yeah, its a pretty good movie, but its done in CGI and a lot of the music is pretty corny.

I beg to differ! The soundtrack is actually the strongest point of the musical, I think, even stronger than the story. You don't hear enough operatic music like that anymore. True, it's "pop-opera" if anything, but its accessibility doesn't hurt it. And the music's always running, which is one of the best things about the musical!

As far as the CGI is concerned, while I prefer practical effects and settings, artificiality can be beneficial rather than detrimental if used properly. The CGI helped the film achieve a good balance between grit and fantasy, and given how ridiculous the story is, a bit of fantasy ain't so bad.

C

Connieur

I recommend Dexter and True Blood for you guys. They are nice to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom