• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

The data-mining has practically been complete, so if you want to see all the new Lucas, Roy and Ryu assets, there's a great compilation of all new information here on SourceGaming.

Reminder that the Smash Brothers presentation with Sakurai begins in roughly 11.5 hours. Despite what has happened, I highly recommend a live viewing still.

This is incorrect, Adventure Mode footage/assets were never leaked, and by the way Sakurai worded it, they probably don't even exist. Adventure Mode wasn't made because people would deliberately spoil themselves of its plot early, like many did with the Subspace Emissary for Brawl. This may have been a blessing in disguise, as the time taken to create a full fledged story with CGI cutscenes is immense, and would have taken time away from the creation of other content put into the game. Hopefully we can see the addition of a new story mode post-release as downloadable content or in a future update. If it were to release the same day worldwide, there'd be no reason for people to spoil themselves (provided it isn't leaked...)

...and wow, were you the one who made the Ninja Gaiden Ryu moveset years ago? I remember reading that.

I agree watching the announcement video will be great.

And I always thought some assets were made for the adventure mode. But either way, actual leaking or possible future leaks, that's why Sakurai didn't do it. A shame really. But I happen to agree. Even if I really don't like much of the single player content in the game. I think the multiplayer content is amazing. And I'm glad that's very well polished. So I can agree with you there.

Yes I made up that Ninja Gaiden NES Ryu move set a while back. Either last year or earlier. I just found where I posted it online and did a copy/paste of it here. I just played the games (NG2, NG3 and Double Dragon 3 on an emulator and recorded the video of the moves and turned them into individual gifs. Thank you so much :) I'm amazed you remember this.

Last edited:
Nice to hear about the tourney feature again. Can't wait for August.

Even though most of the direct was leaked, the extra N64 stages announcement for the future caught me off guard. Can't wait for Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle.

Picking up the three characters and Dreamland 64 is a bit pricey, but here I come! (Once the eShop stops being down).

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Nice to hear about the tourney feature again. Can't wait for August.

Even though most of the direct was leaked, the extra N64 stages announcement for the future caught me off guard. Can't wait for Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle.

Picking up the three characters and Dreamland 64 is a bit pricey, but here I come! (Once the eShop stops being down).

Good to know they are bring back the classics. which three characters are there?

Mange

Bitte benutzen Sie Google Übersetzer
One more Fire Emblem character who's almost exactly the same as the others... -.-

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
We already know a lot so I'm going to be brief with a summary. To start, here's a link to the full video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWM-SCjIuNg

Characters
Ryu, Roy and Lucas are available now to download. The former two were only just officially announced in this presentation, so I will link their official pages on the Smash Brothers website. As always, you can find ten screenshots (8 on Wii U and 2 on 3DS) and links to their trailers.

Ryu

Ryu is so complex that his page has details on how to his special moves properly, check them out. As a newcomer, he also has an illustration on his page, posted in the spoiler tag below:
illust-modal.jpg

Roy

Mii Fighter Costumes
There are plenty of new Mii Fighter costumes added today. Specifically, as listed on the DLC page, they are:
  • Megaman.EXE (Gunner)
  • ZERO (Swordfighter)
  • Isabelle (Gunner)
  • Splatoon Costumes (Gunner)
  • Squid Hat (All)
  • Jacky and Akira from Virtua Fighter (Brawler)
  • Heihachi for Tekken (Brawler)
pack_2_1.jpg

Stages
Regarding stages, there are three new ones. The Miiverse stage comes free with the update version 1.0.8, Suzaku Castle comes with the purchase of Ryu, and the retro stage Dreamland 64, shown below, costs a few dollars on its own.

stage_1.jpg

Amiibo
Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfigher, Mii Gunner, R.O.B., Duck Hunt Duo, Mr. Game & Watch, and Falco amiibo are all coming later this year. Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu amiibo are also confirmed, although not shown.

Other Details
  • Tournament mode is expected to release this August.
  • Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle from Smash Brothers 64 were shown and are confirmed to be coming to the Wii U version in the future.
  • We will soon be able to upload replays from the Wii U version to Youtube, just like Mario Kart 8.

I have found a mistake/oversight in the new content pushed to SSB4 today. I'll share my miiverse post about it.
Nintendo sadly has the wrong info for this track. The correct title for this is "Fountain of Dreams". This was my favourite piece of music in Melee and I am rather sad that Nintendo named the track totally wrong. All of the DLC apart from this one disappointing mistake is amazing though.

zlCfzTdoT1YNCMLAd8

[edit] It seems some people are getting it correctly. This is very strange indeed. Maybe only some of us have the error. I have a pic from his miiverse confirming he got the track correct.

zlCfzTdo_5I0g-4nK6

Last edited:
Wow, no one expected Cloud from Final Fantasy in Smash.

The pick is very, very strange for quite a few reasons. Every single character up to this point has appeared on a Nintendo system in some capacity at some point. Pac-man has games being released to this day, Snake had his earlier games with the original Metal Gear and more recently Snake Eater 3D, Ryu had Street Fighter earlier on and Street Fighter 4 for 3DS.

Final Fantasy did spend its first few entries on Nintendo sure, but FFVII is a completely different beast entirely. In fact, FFVII is about as anti Nintendo as you can possibly get, as it was a landmark title Nintendo missed out on due to strained relations with Square and the lack of a disk drive for the N64. It's super weird that they picked Cloud of all people instead of other characters that, although not as iconic as Cloud, are still very popular and recognizable Final Fantasy characters such as Terra and Cecil (From FFVI and FFIV respectively, both on the SNES originally). This leads me to believe that there's something else down the line.....

Does this potentially mean Final Fantasy VII Remake is coming to NX?

This is the only thing I can think of that makes sense when it comes to Cloud being in Smash. Not only do you get yet another incredibly iconic character in the roster from a landmark game, but you also get the advertising for perhaps the most anticipated remake of any game ever. This bodes well for the NX in terms of hardware and ability to sell units early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom