• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
*tries to contain his anger*

Alright, let me first say that I have known Diddy Kong was going to return ever since the last Nintendo Direct. I don't mind having Diddy Kong return for Smash 4 but jeez I know my brother and the other 10000+ DDK players are going to continue to utilize him so well. And now that he has more flexibility/mobility it's going to be very hard to land hits on him.

Seriously, it's going to be really hard to hit Diddy if his moves are quite similar to his side smash. :eek:
Don't worry, for everything we know about this Diddy, there are dozens things we don't know. He has... some of the same moves as in Brawl, and better range in general. That's it. Nothing about aspects like his speed and attacking power. Most importantly, we know nothing of his stage control, which due to dual bananas, had the potential to make Diddy untouchable. Imagine if Diddy is given one maximum this time around.

Even so, how Diddy translates into these new physics is sure to be a game-changer. For all the evidence I need, I'll look at Captain Falcon, who despite got buffs in special moves in the transition to Brawl, was hit so hard by the lack of pure combos in gameplay, it's almost unbelievable. I know there are previous instances of characters such as the Ice Climbers not suffering a nerf, but what I'm saying is it's too soon to speculate on how Diddy will play. We can come up with general ideas for newcomers like Little Mac because we've seen so much of them, and most notably, actual footage, not just ~10 filler images and one line of text.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
We've already had a fair share of this weeks daily pics, but I'll be getting to those on Friday, as per usual, along with those for the next couple of days. For now, the Diddy Kong images that were released in his honour.

A good display of the new-found stretchiness. This extension in range of his forward tilt was also seen in Diddy's reveal image.

The closest we get up to the face of this new Diddy Kong. It's not as... "individual" as these sort of screens typically are.

The return of Rocket Barrels for Diddy's up special move. Used for recovery, they blast him vertically, with their launch power based on the immediate charge length.

Diddy's uppercut-like up tilt is displayed here, as well as that of Little Mac. This image also shows off the floor decals of the punch-out edition of the boxing ring stage.

Crouching and, presumably, crawling animations, which are abilities returning.

The Peanut Popgun is Diddy's neutral special move, and this is the explosion as the result of an over-charge. The projectiles it shoots are surely identical, though changes to how they're handled is of potential.

The back aerial attacks of all three characters here. Always nice to know of even the more minor attacks returning as a part of movesets.

Most likely some teching animations, a feature known to return. How Diddy's hat stays on, I have no idea.

Getting to the 3DS Smash, flipping said hat for his up taunt.

Clapping as the down taunt action, and more notably, a banana. Either the traditional item put in for misleading means or spawned through Diddy's down special move is up for speculation.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Monday, 24th February
zlCfzRjBsvMZdJLUN2

The twin rocketbarrels are back, now with the ability to launch along more horizontal trajectories. They can also come off when opponents hit them mid-boost.
Diddy's horizontal recovery in Brawl was limited to the Monkey Flip, his side special yet to be seen for this game, and a well-angled diagonal rocketbarrels. Greater horizontal trajectories sounds more like a traditional straight path over the curving nature of the boost move in Brawl.

Tuesday, 25th February
zlCfzRjRYLcZR6Mzd_

There are actually two versions of the boxing ring stage! This ring is the Smash Bros. version…

zlCfzRjRYdwCRLhEAt

…and this one is the Punch Out!! W.V.B.A. design. King Dedede really likes fighting in the ring, doesn't he?
The Smash Brothers edition is what we've had revealed since the games announcement. Many speculated this to be the Punch-Out stage and hence Little Mac's eventual reveal. Although correct, the stage changed to greater fit its series origins. It was guessed to be a replacement to the then thought-to-be-temporary Smash Brothers ring, but now we know they are selectable variations.

Wednesday, 26th February
zlCfzRjhVpUl-CRgz_

Now consecutive standard attacks will always transition into a finishing move. This is Fox's finishing kick after his standard combo attack.
Characters such as Kirby, Pikachu and Captain Falcon have forms of rapid jabs in their standard attack, and they now should all have a safer way of concluding them, being a final hit with actual knockback. This could potentially lead to a sort of combo, and also prevent endless use of these moves without restarting them.

Thursday, 27th February
zlCfzRju1U4iYf_s_a

Once again, Waluigi's Assist Trophy joins the collection!! …Which also means he's not a playable character. Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle.
A familiar character returns in the same role, to an enormous poke and tease following. Waluigi is the third known returning assist trophy, following the reveals of Nintendog and Starfy, and joins new assist trophies Ashley, Mother Brain and Skull Kid.

Friday, 28th February
zlCfzRj9aQIdlhFqnQ

Dedenne's hard at work too.
The second 6th generation Pokémon seen for the game, the first being Xerneas, both presumably Pokéball Pokémon. The only other Pokémon to be seen so far aside from the playable appearances of Pikachu and Lucario, is Palkia, a known Pokeball spawn. Dedenne uses a sort of electric attack when summoned.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Monday, 3rd March
zlCfzRk-LJQDNzE81r

The twin grannies, Kotake and Koume, appear in Gerudo Valley! They're definitely up to no good.
Cool stage hazard cameo. A previous screen of Gerudo Valley showed half the stage on fire with the bridge collapsed, presumably due to the work of Koume or the combined Twinrova.

Tuesday, 4th March
zlCfzRlPKRcB9QPNGD

The Bumper is back with a detailed new design. This also means there will be no Flippers.

zlCfzRlPKgIcagFzlh

Here's the back side of the Bumper. There's way too much detail put into the side you can't really see. The designers really went overboard.
The Bumper returns from the original Super Smash Bros. and Brawl, with this new design. Absent in Melee, it was replaced by the Flipper item, originating from Balloon Fight. With its ability to set in place and give mighty knockback to any fighter who makes contact, the Bumper is a fan-favourite.

Wednesday, 5th March
zlCfzRlffRYtiT2idI

So far, which attack can blast away enemies the most dynamically… Is it King Dedede's fully charged Jet Hammer? Nah, it can't beat the K.O. uppercut. You can damage yourself by overcharging this attack, so watch out.
Seemingly unchanged in practicality, the self-harm of the Jet Hammer is that when holding a full-charge, Dedede slowly takes damage, up until 150%. This is the cost of holding the charge of an attack with extraordinary strength. The K.O. uppercut refers to Little Mac's neutral special with a full power meter, apparently KOing anybody it hits. The key in this caption is the beginning statement "so far". No doubt we're getting even more satisfying combatants our way.

Thursday, 6th March
zlCfzRlu0SQ0A24z00

Little Mac's side smash attack is his straight right punch...but it can transform into an uppercut if you tilt diagonally upward, or a body hook if you tilt diagonally downward. The body hook is the most devastating of these moves and it doesn't blast the opponents away.

The trick in activating these punches is to avoid tilting the controls diagonally from the get go--instead, tilt up or down right after the smash attack starts kicking in. You can also tilt up or down while you're powering up.
An attack which doesn't send opponents flying is asking for combos. Still, two other forms of a smash attack is no disadvantage. Little Mac's might is evident.

Friday, 7th March
zlCfzRl8_zg4kpuXBd

Here's a new stage for the 3DS version: Tortimer Island! I've been here countless times to catch bugs.

zlCfzRl9Ae8x3-cPLN

What a beautiful day. On this stage, fighters are randomly placed on a different island layout every time they visit. Yar, come back anytime, will ye?
Not actually the first we've seen of this stage; shown previously with Donkey Kong appearing on the dock with Kapp'n from the Animal Crossing games. As it showed near-nothing, we now know of the stages full scale. Its greatest feature is apparently the fact the island is randomly generated or chosen from a select few potential arena formats.

Fig

The Altruist
Seriously? There wasn't any discussions throughout the weekend for Smash? D: I shall fix that right now! ;)

The week kicked things into motion with the confirmation of Kotake and Koume appearing in the Gerudo Valley stage on the 3DS variant of the games. It is always nice to see stage hazards every once in a while and I'm 100% certain that they are behind of the burning and collapse of the bridge when we first saw that screenshot with Link jumping out of the bridge. I really can't wait to try out the Gerudo Valley stage as soon as the 3DS version is released! ^^

Moving on to Tuesday's screenshot was the revealment of the bumper returning as an item for Smash 4. I really love the new design and the sheer amount of detail that Sakurai's team has shown off. Because of the new design, we are not getting the Flippers item in this game. Personally I don't like the Flippers that much so when I read that Sakurai is removing them from the game, I was glad for it. This means that now we can have at least a new item to replace the item slot that the flippers have now left open.

Wednesday's screenshot was just gah! @u@ It was really nice to see the Jet Hammer in bigger and better detail this time and based on Sakurai's description on it, we can tell just how strong this move is. According to Sakurai, the strongest move in the game at this current moment in time is Little Mac's K.O. uppercut, which I'm honestly not surprised that it is since of the sheer brutal power of his move was shown on his reveal trailer. I also love how Pikachu is in a "rub my belly" position! It's too cute! But I think the greatest portion of the entire screenshot was Sakurai's wording:

Sakurai said:
So far, which attack can blast away enemies the most dynamically… Is it King Dedede's fully charged Jet Hammer? Nah, it can't beat the K.O. uppercut. You can damage yourself by overcharging this attack, so watch out.

Obviously there is a surprise waiting for us as we get closer to release of Smash 4! ^^

Thursday's screenshot is just so beautiful! And it's a 3DS screenshot too! @u@ We seriously need to see more 3DS screenshots as they really are breathtaking to view! ^^ Seeing that Little Mac's side smash now has three variants of it depending of the angle/direction that a player moves the Circle Pad is amazing to observe. I personally would see this move as a combo starter, especially since it doesn't send players flying. Good stuff that I'm seeing, good stuff indeed.

I really loved Friday's screenshots as they showed us the new stage, Tortimer Island. This isn't the first time we see this stage and it was hinted at a few months ago with Donkey Kong being next to Kapp'n in another screenshot. I really am looking forward to see of the different layout that we will see in the future and how they affect the match! I think Sakurai did a fantastic job this week and I can't wait for next week's discussion! ^^

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Thank goodness Waluigi isn't going to be a playable character; there are enough figures from the Mario roster as it is...

Here's to more variety in the future reveals. :yes:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
The week kicked things into motion with the confirmation of Kotake and Koume appearing in the Gerudo Valley stage on the 3DS variant of the games. It is always nice to see stage hazards every once in a while and I'm 100% certain that they are behind of the burning and collapse of the bridge when we first saw that screenshot with Link jumping out of the bridge. I really can't wait to try out the Gerudo Valley stage as soon as the 3DS version is released! ^^

What I do hope is that this stage isn't near as busy as the Spirit Train. That one moves, has demon trains, Linebeck's builiding (as well as others yet to be seen), birds holding platforms, and not to mention Alfonzo. :rolleyes: I like calm stages more, although those crazy stages make for good item matches. Look at Port Town Aero Dive. :bleh:

Moving on to Tuesday's screenshot was the revealment of the bumper returning as an item for Smash 4. I really love the new design and the sheer amount of detail that Sakurai's team has shown off. Because of the new design, we are not getting the Flippers item in this game. Personally I don't like the Flippers that much so when I read that Sakurai is removing them from the game, I was glad for it. This means that now we can have at least a new item to replace the item slot that the flippers have now left open.

I wouldn't be concerned about "item slots" at all. It's not like they would drop a new item concept if we did have flippers. At least we can have those awesome bumper-only matches in SSB4 now. xP

Wednesday's screenshot was just gah! @u@ It was really nice to see the Jet Hammer in bigger and better detail this time and based on Sakurai's description on it, we can tell just how strong this move is. According to Sakurai, the strongest move in the game at this current moment in time is Little Mac's K.O. uppercut, which I'm honestly not surprised that it is since of the sheer brutal power of his move was shown on his reveal trailer. I also love how Pikachu is in a "rub my belly" position! It's too cute! But I think the greatest portion of the entire screenshot was Sakurai's wording:

Sakurai said:

Obviously there is a surprise waiting for us as we get closer to release of Smash 4! ^^

Returning special moves really result in some of the more forgettable pics, but Sakurai's comments never fail to entertain.

Thursday's screenshot is just so beautiful! And it's a 3DS screenshot too! @u@ We seriously need to see more 3DS screenshots as they really are breathtaking to view! ^^ Seeing that Little Mac's side smash now has three variants of it depending of the angle/direction that a player moves the Circle Pad is amazing to observe. I personally would see this move as a combo starter, especially since it doesn't send players flying. Good stuff that I'm seeing, good stuff indeed.

Remember that only the angled-down side smash lacks knockback, and I'm going to assume it'll be hardest to hit with. I'd probably be too surprised that my opponent doesn't go flying to be able to react with a combo properly. xD

I really loved Friday's screenshots as they showed us the new stage, Tortimer Island. This isn't the first time we see this stage and it was hinted at a few months ago with Donkey Kong being next to Kapp'n in another screenshot. I really am looking forward to see of the different layout that we will see in the future and how they affect the match!
Tortimer Island certainly is looking cool. My mind is telling me the varying islands won't have too much impact on actual gameplay, but rather minor changes in its indentations and background elements. Can't be too sure, honestly.

Here's to more variety in the future reveals. :yes:

and here's to more awesome reveal trailers for them.

Fig

The Altruist
So, can we all hope Yoshi will be the next character to be revealed tomorrow?

I really hope that Yoshi will be confirmed tomorrow. If so, this will be the second time that the North American release of a game has influenced the reveal of another character of Smash, with Diddy Kong being the very first one. Everyone in my town is really hoping for Yoshi to come back. Maybe he isn't the greatest fighter in the roster, but a Smash game without Yoshi will never feel the same. :(

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Monday, 10th March
zlCfzRm5YWsipWvlPX

This chubby guy is also Little Mac. Burn that fat!
The second revealed trophy in these games, and the first of the Wii U selection. Saria from Ocarina of Time 3D started off 2014 by being shown as a trophy in the 3DS Smash. This is Little Mac as he appeared in the Japan-exclusive Wii game, Captain Rainbow.

Tuesday, 11th March
zlCfzRnIrocpq__4R7

The Prism Tower rises above Lumiose City. Up until a few seconds ago, the fighters were brawling on top of that tower. No, really.
A new stage for the 3DS Smash, coming from Pokemon X & Y. The central city of the sixth generation of Pokemon games, combatants fight in its tower. It is suggested that the stage moves in some fashion, due to no fighters being present on-screen at the moment Sakurai claims their location.

Wednesday, 12th March
zlCfzRnX67APwSKUOh

Zelda's Din's Fire is now stronger in its core. The farther it's projected, the bigger and more powerful it will be, but you need to hit foes with the core if you want to make them fall.
The explanation of Zelda's returning side special move states a buff in its power. It appears situational with the need to shoot it far and at the core of the flame, but any strength is welcome.

Thursday, 13th March
zlCfzRnmjusfVA-5Z-

The tiny Motion-Sensor Bomb is hard to see. If you get any closer, it's dangerous. I warned you.
Another returning item with a redesign, the motion-sensor bomb is sure to pack a punch still, even if smaller.

Friday, 14th March
zlCfzRn2EA8RXndC74

Looks like someone's enjoying the bachelor life in this pad.
I, er... have no idea what this is. I know it's not Yoshi. :rolleyes: Tomodachi Collection seems to be coming up in searches, which is a series of Japan-exclusive life stimulation games on DS and 3DS, starring Miis.I guess this means we have a new stage in our hands.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom