• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Mario Galaxy vs Super Mario Galaxy 2

Which do you prefer?

• Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Both about the same

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I basically classify them as one game so, you know. I think Mario Galaxy 2 was a lot more vibrant, and all the levels were way more whacky and interesting.

I loved Super Mario Galaxy 2, but there were two things that held it back in my opinion:
  1. It essentially just rehashed the plot of SMG1 rather than be a true sequel. In fact, it seemed to be like an alternate timeline of SMG1, as the ending suggested.
  2. It had too much of a "been there, done that" feel.
However, it did have better music (Gusty Garden is a work of art) and the addition of Yoshi speaks for itself. But I have to give it to SMG 1.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Which do you like better, the orginal, or the sequel? Do you maybe like both about the same?

The first was great, it was fresh. It had a bit of story, the hub world was good. The music was fantastic. One of the few truly great wii games.

The second was just more of the same, perhaps even an inferior product. The hubworld was worse, there was no story. The gameplay was pretty sameish to the first, so still good. The music was also to the same high standard. It was good but lacked the impact and magic of the first.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
The second was just a rehash of the original, but with a less mesmerizing world. The Comet Observatory was far better than Mario Face Planet Ship. Other than that, basically same game.

Dan

Both of them are exceptionally brilliant games. I was hooked on Super Mario Galaxy when I first got it. I think Galaxy 2 was just as great but obviously it didn't have the same wow factor as the first since it was the same game more or less, but I didn't mind I wanted more Galaxy and I'm pleased we got it.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I played SMG2 first, so SMG1 to me became a just not as good game in comparison. I think it all depends on which you played first. If it's the first one, then the second will feel like a rehash with a little extra, and if it's the second one, then the first one will just feel like a simpler version of it.

I would say about the same. SMG2 was going to be an expansion or add on pack to SMG1 but Nintendo thought they had a little too much content for that so they made it into a totally new game. Nintendo didn't bother to add to much of a storyline or map for it though.
The green stars of the 2nd game were much preferred to repeating the same game all over again with Luigi in SMG1 I've done a few Luigi SMG1 stages but that's it.
The SMG2 grandmaster stage (especially with the comet) is worse than toxic cancer.

I played the 1st one first. And I think it's nice but a few stages are a little too hard in my opinion. The 3 bonus galaxy stages are some of them. SMG2 has a much better difficulty curve. Apart from the last cancer of a grandmaster stage.

And for the printed guide books, I have both hardcover. The black SMG1 one is amazing. Nice large poster with it and art section at the back. The only catch is the book does not mention that you can redo the intro stage once you've beaten the game with Luigi. The white SMG2 book looks nice. It's poster is small but nice too, as is the little star checklist you get. The main star info is mostly correct. The Green star info is quite a bit wrong in the book though. I think the guide makers quite possibly used a different beta of the game to write the guide. If you can get the guide cheap it's nice to have so you can say you own both. But I must say the SMG1 hardcover guide book is the better of the two. It is amazing on so many levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom