• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Stop Complaining About the Tadstones

F

FiisAwesome

All I hear is people complain left and right about the tadstones but what about it is sooooo annoying? It was easy, the swimming controls were fine, and it was relaxing.

I pretty much agree with this. It wasn't bad and I honestly didn't see what people were complaining about.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
[Blah blah blah stop saying ur opinion is fact blah blah blah]
The things were a terrible design choice. Tedious, to say the least. The swimming controls were not great, not even good. Functional in some moments, dysfunctional in the next. Tadtones were one way to say "unnecessary fetch quest". Nintendo should think harder on things like this. Combat would've suited the situation much better.

The things were a terrible design choice. Tedious, to say the least. The swimming controls were not great, not even good. Functional in some moments, dysfunctional in the next. Tadtones were one way to say "unnecessary fetch quest". Nintendo should think harder on things like this. Combat would've suited the situation much better.

I sort of disagree with the controls because for me at least, the controls worked fine. I thought it was nice that it changed from combat to something more relaxing, and in my view not that tedious. What made you think it was tedious?

D

dotngtrtech

It had nothing to do with the swimming controls. Those worked fine. It was the fact you already had fetch quests (like the silent realms) advancing the story forward. This late in the game, the last thing you wanted to do was go swimming to collect a bunch of notes. And it wouldn't have been so bad, but the other "dragon's" had puzzles and whatnot that made sense. This was just an example of poor execution by the designers.

- Dave

F

FiisAwesome

tell me, what is a fetchquest? Honestly I think people just use that word for anything they find tedious. The only real "fetchquest" is the windmill one. You get a benefit out of the silent realm plus I liked them. The tadstones I will agree are sort of fetchquesty but honestly I thought it was fun but it was MILES better than anything in Ocarina Of Time. That game was just tedious to the brim.

I liked the tadtone bit... considering how much SS was frustrating me up until that point it was a welcome relief to be forced to take me time, look around and take part in a section of the game that had relaxing controls. Though collecting/finding things seemed to be Faron Woods' thing, i disliked the hide and seek style quest to find the three small kokris? near the beginning of the game more than the tadtones part.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I used to think about this part a lot when it came to what I didn't like. My arguments for it were also kinda maybe sort of somewhat rant-ish... I feel a bit more laid back now, so... (if I don't give the impression of being laid back, my mistake for bad wording choices)

When I was at that part, I have to admit it felt tedious. Maybe because the game had a somewhat smooth pace up to that point. I thought it broke the flow the first time, but I wouldn't say that whole part was unenjoyable. Maybe it seemed filler-ish to me (and maybe some more people, since this thread was made in the first place), but it was a nice change of pace. That's just what I thought, though.

Fetch quests aren't my problem, though. I didn't mind the pre-City in the Sky clue hunt in Twilight Princess or the Triforce piece hunt in Wind Waker that much, so maybe

Sounds to me like you were close to a christmas tree when you played it, or you're one of the people who couldn't completely get the hang of the controls. I'm quite adaptable, so I'm guessing you probably had some problem I didn't. What was it?

tell me, what is a fetchquest? Honestly I think people just use that word for anything they find tedious. The only real "fetchquest" is the windmill one. You get a benefit out of the silent realm plus I liked them. The tadstones I will agree are sort of fetchquesty but honestly I thought it was fun but it was MILES better than anything in Ocarina Of Time. That game was just tedious to the brim.

Hmmm, if I remember correctly fetchquest is when you're brought from one point to the other looking for an object. It's probably not farfetched to assume it's a definition people twist to suit anything they don't like, but I feel it would be rude-ish on my part to assume.

I liked the tadtone bit... considering how much SS was frustrating me up until that point it was a welcome relief to be forced to take me time, look around and take part in a section of the game that had relaxing controls. Though collecting/finding things seemed to be Faron Woods' thing, i disliked the hide and seek style quest to find the three small kokris? near the beginning of the game more than the tadtones part.

You're on to something interesting here. I believe I also expected the game to keep a fast pace throughout, and taking into account that the tadtone part was sort of a rest from the fights and lava and all that jazz (the color scheme also says a lot, since blue and green in the area's design also point to the intent of a peaceful atmosphere on the developre's part), it's on the likeliness range that people were just rubbed the wrong way by that. It's hard for me to tell at this point, honestly. :xd:

Hence, my constant implicative tone. :P

Last edited:
F

FiisAwesome

People don't know wtf is a fetch quest these days. They think that just because somebody tells you to collect some items it automatically becomes a fetch quest with the entire negative connotation of the word, and this is just not true. A proper horrible fetch quest has you going to previous areas where there is nothing new to see to collect a meaningless item, the purpose of which is only to lengthen the gameplay time. "Fetch quests" in Skyward Sword have you exploring areas, fighting new enemies, encountering new situations, and solving new puzzles.

i totally agree! The tadtones (not tadstones :P) were pretty easy to catch. Although i did use the zelda dungeon walkthrough to find certain ones that were missing

I don't have a problem with the tadtone search except when it comes down to the last few, thank goodness you can dowse even if you can only do it from a green pad, and there are a couple of groups of four that swim around which most likely you just happen to spot by chance.

AwesomeTingle

Pure Awesomeness
The swimming controls were horrible! The worst things in Zelda games are stealth and looking for things... this being the latter.
It wouldn't have been so bad if I could control Link properly.
Plus I was really POed at the water dragon by the end. How many times do I have to prove myself to you?

Aww, I liked the tadtones; I thought they were really cute. I didn't really know people disliked them so much, but I guess I can see how, thinking about it now. I suppose it took a bit of patience to collect them all, but it really didn't take that long, and the swimming controls worked great for me, so I liked it. Having the woods flooded and having to get the tadtones was just kind of like a break from the action for a while, in my opinion. I personally don't think that that's necessarily a bad thing, but then I guess others would disagree. But I thought it was a cute little quest! :>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom