• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Steve12345's Skyward Sword Review

My SS Review: Nintendo Should Not Have 'Ruined' Ghirahim

WARNING, in this review spoilers will be thrown around and should only be read by people who have finished the game or those who do not care about spoilers

This review is a long read. I know I am not officially a reviewer and you may wonder why I might behave like I am one by writing such a long article about Skyward Sword. The reason is that I finished the game and while I think it is the best game ever created, but I also see certain things about the game that they just could have done better and I like to write down my analysis. Another reason is that I have plenty of time this week :) You don't have to read if you don't like it.

Dungeons
The first two dungeons were short but very good. These dungeons made clear that Skyward Swords dungeons are far more cleverly designed and a new mindset, in comparison to previous Zelda games, was needed to solve the puzzles. Observing the environment and even exploring it with the brand new Beetle was often needed to solve the puzzles and new surprises were always around the corner. When I entered the Skyview Temple I, ofcourse, partly knew the challanges that where waiting for me because I've seen the demo. But I still spent half an hour looking for the gem that was hidden below that left door. It was 02.00 am and my tired eyes didn't read the message on that stone tablet very well. Next day I finished the temple. I feared the Earth Temple would be Mario Galaxy reborn, with the roling ball, the bright colors and the happy music, but 5 minutes into the dungeon I realized how ingenious it was. The puzzles, music, the tough Lizalfos dudes and the amazingly alive and cool Mogma's that participated in the puzzle events created a great athmosphere. While typing this, I remember the interesting part, near the end, where you had to run uphill while avoiding the falling rocks. Some interesting puzzling was there too. What I really noticed that, while the overworld already was some sort of a dungeon (puzzle-like), the dungeons still felt as real dungeons and not some extension of the overworld.

Next was the Lanayru Mining Facility. I really didn't know what to expect from this one. The first I thought when I walked in was 'what the hell is this extremely ugly music', because seriously, the music in this game is amazing, which will be discussed later, but this theme is just plain terrible. Later, I discovered that the theme was actually one of a pair, because activating the timeshift-stones changes the environment as well as the music. I liked the fact that the other music was way more beautiful and epic. Perhaps they created this contrast on purpose to make the change in the environment more magical. But still, the original theme is terrible. Anyway, the dungeon itself was by far the best so far and the puzzles with the timeshift stones (and those in the moving minecarts) were the best Zelda puzzles I've ever seen up to that point. When finishing this dungeon I became quite sceptical about the other dungeons, because I did not like the later dungeons in Twilight Princess that much, so I somehow expecting similar experiences.

After an exciting 'middle part' (that turned out to be more like a '1/3th-part') I entered the Ancient Cistern Temple. And yes... amazing; the contrast between the 'clean', luxurious, sophistecated 'buddhistic' part and the dirty, stenching lower part; the first puzzle, in which you had to observe the buddha's front, back and both hands to discover the temple's 'secret code'; the puzzles with the waterlillies and the buddha statue and yes, again, the fitting music. Also, this dungeons boss is perhaps the best temple boss in any Zelda game.

After crossing a desert by boat (lol), I entered the Sand Ship-dungeon. I didn't realize this was actually a dungeon at first, untill I heard that tune that always plays when Link enters a dungeon, only now he was climbing the ladder to the ship. Again, I was sceptical. I thought 'oh no they are going to play the Twillight Princess-omg-poorly-designed-dungeon-in-unexpected-place game again. At first, there didn't seem to be much in the ship at all, since it was easy to walk throught the whole ship from top to bottom, but somehow there turned out to be a lot do to and the puzzles weren't exactly the easiest. I remember having to shoot an arrow through a propellor and having to really think through about how to get in the room in which the second engine was, observing the map etc.

And yes, also the Fire Santuary was very good. However, I think this one wasn't as good as the previous dungeons. I liked the Mogma's and the higher amount of enemies. But having a second fire dungeon perhaps wasn't the right choice. It was different from the Earth Temple in many ways, but it didn't quite impress as much as the other five dungeons. Also the 'Dark Lizalfos' dudes were too easy to be introduced as a miniboss at first, the digging didn't really impress much and having Ghirahim as a boss, made the dungeon feel 'incomplete' somehow. Nothing against Ghirahim (I will discuss him thoroughly), but I think an impressive and long bossfight would have made the Fire Sanctuary more memorable, because now, this dungeon is blown away by the previous dungeons.

Near the end of the game I had to find the Triforce in the Sky Keep, a dungeon that appeared a the most unexpected place of all: Skyloft. I was puzzled at first, because the first room had this Tower of the Gods-like athmosphere, but turned out to be a repetition of all previous dungeons, like Ganon's Castle. Seriously, the fact that you had to 'puzzle' the the rooms to different places was just another blast of ingeniousness. Seriously, even during the last moments, this game impresses like no other Zelda game has ever done. The separate rooms themselves where pretty challenging and clever. It was really obvious that they spent years to create new ideas and implementing these into every part of the game.

Seriously, this game has some amazing dungeons. Ofcourse, I had some dungeon-related wishes that weren't fulfilled, like having another Stone Tower Temple-like experience in which the world turns upside down, or having an epic egyptian-style Spirit Temple. But objectively speaking the dungeons within this game are the best dungeons in the history of Zelda games, perhaps the Fire Sanctuary doesn't quite fit into the list and the first two dungeons are somewhat overwhelmed by the 3th, 4th and 5th dungeon, but overall the set of dungeons within this game are simply unmatched by any other game out there.

Music
This is a Zelda game and Zelda games' have very high standards if it comes to music. This game overall fulfills these music-requirements. However, it is notable that a different music composer was in charge of Skyward Sword (except for the Goddes Theme, I read). Some music somehow reminds of games like Donkey Kong Country, like this music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4S1QfnWd3g . Overall the game has both avarage soundtracks as well as very good soundtracks. I notice that most of the dungeon music is better than in previous Zelda games. The Earth Temple ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65c5y7Khm_w ) and the Ancient Cistern ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wam9gbeaXDA ) are examples of themes that fit expecially well with the dungeon athmosphere. I got an epic feeling when I entered the Lanayru Sand Sea for the first time and this music started to play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Q4W-al9ZI and all variation of Fi's theme are just brilliantly touching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MIKnFChors .
Also, Ghirahims personal is incredibly fitting for his character. I didn't like the theme at first because I thought it was too playful, but when I 'got to know' Ghirahim, I liked the theme as well. Strange.
However I can't say the same about Demise's battle theme, it sounds weird and unfitting, just like the rest of this whole character (which will be discussed): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jxAtQgP2Ek .

Combat
There is not much to say about the combat except that is was amazing and incredibly refeshing. Nintendo just succesfully introduced a whole new way of combatting and they did it very good. Enemie-wise they just could have thrown a few more 'large' enemies in the game like the Stalfosses. The Stalfosses where introduced in the very first dungeon, later an improved version of this Stalfos was introduced, but no other 'large' enemies where introduced later in the game. I remember the Dark Lizalfos being introduced in the Fire Sanctuary, but this one did not met the requirements of the difficulty standards at that time and thus did not make a lasting impression.

What is also really a missed opportunity, is the fact that Nintendo did not bother to add a Cave of Ordeal-like area in the game. The combat in this game is amazing and it would be nice if there was some kind of ultimate challenge to test your skills. I would have loved to get beaten by 5 stalfosses + 20 bats + 10 bow-and-arrow guys in SS' Cave of Ordeals. It is also quite strange this isn't included in the game, since both Windwaker and Twilight Princess had this.

Characters
Just like Majora's Mask, this game has the most welldeveloped characters. I notice they let Groose make though a change in personality. In the beginning he didn't like Link and later he helped him a great deal when he realized how dangerous The Imprissoned was. However, I think they should have just payed a little more attention to him in between the part he didn't win the contest and the part he 'followed' Link to the Sealed Grounds. During the 'following' scene it was like 'oh it's that guy from the beginning who didn't like Link'. It would have been better if there had been a more recent encounter with Groose within the story line.

There is one character I would like to discuss more deeply and that is Ghirahim. Because, seriously, I would have loved this guy as a main antagonist. He first introduced himself in the Skyview Temple. Then he had his speech in the Earth Temple and more encounters throughout the whole game. His quotes are hilarious and his overall 'vibe' is pure geniousness. I loved everything about this guy; his overall weirdness, his arrogance, his mood swings, I love the way he first talks in this feminine, theatrical way and then 'powers up' in a more masculine way and gets more serious. I seriously think this character is the best Zelda character Nintendo has ever created.

But then, the part in which Nintendo made a huge character-development-wise mistake; Ghirahim succeeded in resurrecting is master. And this master, a supersaiyan who did not have any character development at all at that point and who's appearance did not fit the game at all, made a simple gesture and downgraded Nintendo's greatest character into a mere sword without even looking at him...

This disappointment would have been less if this Demise would actually be an interesting character himself. But he wasn't. The 'conversation' between him and Link before the final battle seemed epic and, for a moment, it seemed like a long and epic battle was about to take place. But then a very 'weird' battle emerged, in which the guy was way too slow and calm. When watching this video, you can see the awkwardness that appears when the 'epic' introduction speech has ended and the battle begins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug2cUr_jcZo . The second 'half' of the battle looked more epic but he ended up being far too easy in the end. After this, the defeated Demise talks about how his 'hate is so strong' and 'will always excist'. And also this 'fact' seems weird. What hate? He seemed pretty calm to me. He didn't seem to be having emotional issues or carrying hatred for anybody. If they would have stated that Ghirahim had a 'deep hate', it would have been believable. Look at the guy; messed up and unpredictable as hell. But Demise? Seemed like a pretty calm and collected dude to me.

Seriously, this game is the best ever created but antagonist-technical (is that a word?) they made a huge mistake. Here are several options they could have done to improve this aspect:

- A way they could have solved this, is if they would have let Ghirahim resurrect Demise earlier in the game. This way, they would have had more time to introduce and develop Demise into a more interesting character.

- Another thing: I remember playing Okami. A great game that really feels like a Zelda game (a very good one!). In this game multiple antagonists excisted. Some more epic than the other. But in the end, it turned out that this completely new character, without any development at all was the main antagonist. This felt awkward at first but then the battle begun; a very very long battle with in near the end of it a pauze with a very emotional cutscene in which the dying (he lost at first) hero's sidekick, who left him not so long ago, appeared in a halicunation the hero had and gave him this motivational speech with visions of a lot of characters within the game that are talking about the hero. It is hard to explain on paper, but it just brings tears in the eyes of the player, the most geniously created emotional moment in any video game ever, (I seriously had tears in my eyes and I'm not exactly an emotional dude), after that the fight goes on. Somehow this fight was so memorable because of all this that it doesn't matter that the main antagonist in introduced at the very end of the game and you even start to like the main antagonist.

Nintendo could have done the same with Demise; make the battle very very long and inserting this moment in which Fi 'melts' herself in the Master Sword forever (and has to leave Link to give up her life in order to strengthen the Master Sword), somewhere within this battle and, this way, creating this emotional moment (Fi's piano theme included) at the peak of the battle.

- But the best way, I think, would have been if they let Ghirahim resurrent Demise earlier and let Ghirahim be Demises 'right hand' (not as a sword but as his own person) and then have Ghirahim overthrow his master like Kefka did to the Emperor in Final Fantasy 6.

This way Nintendo would have made their best character ever created even more epic and badass. I think it is just too bad they didn't think of this. They could still have Demise explain that he will be reborn, but let Ghirahim be the role within Skyward Sword that he should have been; the main antagonist.

Other Negatives
But there is more about this game that just could have been better:

- Variation in landscape. Skyward Sword has a forest and two area's that are barren lands; a volcano and a desert. Why didn't they insert a snow area in the Eldin Province? They could have inserted just a little more variation in landscape in the game.

- The questionable day/night cycle. This is the first 3d Zelda game with such a weird day/night cycle. In Skyloft you can 'make' it night/day by going to bed but overall the time stands still; night doesn't transition into day and day doesn't transtion into night automatically, like in every other adventure game. When you are on the surface; it even is day all the time except for certain moments like when your items get stolen.
- The Harp wasn't as good as the orcarina and the windwaker. You didn't 'learn' any new songs that you could actually 'play!', like the ones in OOT, MM and WW. 'Learning' a new song was more like Fi learned a new song and you could not play at own initiative and proactively DO something in the environment by playinga certain song.

- Some mini-quests came at weird moments. I remember beating The Imprissoned for the third time. The athmosphere was really like "Damn! Hurry and learn this Hero Song as soon as possible or this terrible beast will break free again! Hurry, because it gets worse every time he breaks free!!" and 5 minutes later you were collecting Tadnotes in flooded Faron Woods with a happy Mario Sunshine vibe in the background. This felt really off.

Summary

+ best game ever created; story, dungeons combat, etc etc, basically everything except:

cons:

- variation in landscape

- day/night cycle

- harp

- some miniquest at unfitting moments

- enemies could have been slightly better, Dark Lizalfos failed and no new 'large' enemies were introduced later in the game. Also a Cave of Ordeals-like exerience lacked.

! - Nintendo made a huge mistake by having their greatest character ever created get humiliated and downgraded by Mr. NoCharacterDevelopment

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom