• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
1586585948681.png

It's hard to visit any video game store without being bombarded by waves of old Madden, NBA 2K, and NHL games. They're the sort of game that hardcore fans will buy for six months and then trade in for $10 worth of credit for the next game in the series. And while there's still a fair amount of variety to be found in outliers like winter sports game, it's a genre largely dominated by just a few series that aren't doing all that much different these days.

The only time I've put even a little bit of time into a sports franchise was during my deployment, where where I somehow enjoyed a few games of NBA 2K14 to the point where I even shelled out some of my deployment pay to purchase a copy of 2K17 on the Switch. Needless to say, I lost interest in the games the moment I spent my own money on them.

These days the closest I come to a sports video game is Steep, a snowboarding/skiing/wingsuit open world with one of the most relaxed multiplayer playlists I've ever seen.

steep-ncsa-og-image.jpg

It's almost noncompetitive in how relaxed interacting with other players can be. It honestly reminds me a bit of riding a motorcycle. There are plenty of people with bigger and faster bikes than yours, but all anyone cares about is how much fun the riding itself is. By default, one of the buttons is assigned to just woohoo the other people around you and cheer. Everything you do is accompanied by a mellow soundtrack that seems designed to put you in a good mood. I was holding out for the Switch version (which has sadly been "indefinitely delayed"), but Epic suckered me in by offering the game for free, and it's been addictive ever since.

What sort of sports games (if any) do you folks consider to be your guilty pleasure? Are you the sort of person who trades them in year after year, or do you prefer to leave that lone copy of Madden 2008 on your shelf and think, 'Maybe I'll play it again for some reason?'

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Skateboarding games are my guilty pleasure.

I liked Skate and Skate 2, but I long for the days of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. :(

Yeah, the Tony Hawk games kind of died out. While I never played it, I heard bad things about the latest Tony Hawk game. Apparently, very little of the game was actually on disc.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
if we're including skateboarding in this then oooh yeah, I love the early tony hawk games, especially underground

otherwise it's just purely been the Mario sports games for me, though I remember my friend wanted me to play Red Card w/ him on the gamecube, it was a soccer game and I didn't really get it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom