• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens Megathread (for news related discussions)

Keeseman

Smash is Life
I don't need to see more Star Wars Films made, but I would definitely like to.

Honestly, with all this speculation over what it's going to be about, I don't see any way how it cannot be related to its canon book series.

I hope Jacen Solo shows up in this, though.

I think they could pull off his fall to the dark side well enough. It would be interesting character development/conflict.

A Link In Time said:
Jar Jar Binks isn't as terrible as the critics paint him either.

Yes, yes he is. That was the dumbest thing that George Lucas ever did. He was unnecessary to the plot, had an extremely annoying voice, and was incredibly stupid. There is no love created for his character; he's just annoying. They'd better not repeat that mistake again.

octorok74

TETTAC
It's funny. My father always used to tell me about how when he was a kid he watched Star Wars. After 4, 5, and 6 came out he said kids were talking about when Episode 7 would come out. I guess I can tell my father now that it will be out in no time.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I'm not trying to change your opinion or anything but seriously, people hate the prequels for very legitimate reasons. Watch Red Letter Media. They explain it far better than I ever could.
No, no they do not. There has never been legitimate reasons for hating it, ever. At least the majority of the reasons the haters repeatedly cite, that is.It's that insanity that drove Lucas to selling his company. The vast majority of the complaints against the prequels are nonsensical and have zero basis in reality.

Also, I know it might seem like a stupid thing, but if you watch the Red Letter Media reviews they really do explain why people hate the prequels. All of those fights you used as examples are bad because they either have no tension, no drama or, in Yoda's case, straight up ruin the character to some degree.
This for example. I'd almost say you never bothered to actually watch the movies. At all. At best, I'd say you watched them but didn't actually pay much attention, zoned out. I do it too with movies and have unfairly judged them because of it as a result. I did it to the Lord of the Rings movies, I zoned out and just decided they were bad. When I actually gave them a chance and watched them paying full attention, I saw how amazing they were. I've seen enough of this, done enough myself, for the signs to be obvious. Particularly with getting details of the prequels WRONG, which prequel haters consistently do.

They were the most dramatic fights in science fiction movie history, period. As I've constantly noticed, what the prequel haters complain about doesn't match up with the actual reality of the movies and almost exactly matches the profile of people just going off repeated opinions of critics who never seen a minute of the films in their life. Those fights were some of the most emotionally driven battles ever put on screen.

And if Jar Jar was very negligible, why was he not only in The Phantom Menace as much as he was, but also in both of the other prequels?
His role was diminished because of people like you wanted something to hate about it.

Not trying to be a twonk but Jabba's cameo was hardly subtle. The film literally announces his arrival and there is a cheer from the crowd. It couldn't be any more 'Look! It's Jabba! Remember Jabba!" Him being there was totally pointless and only served to give them an excuse to make Jabba toys for the movie.
I can guarantee you with 110% certainty that if the prequels made zero additional references or connections to the original besides the obvious (Obi-Wan, Anakin, Emperor), the prequel haters would have made that into one of their big complaints. They look for something to hate.

I think of all the long drawn out conversations of tax disputes and the flat angle talking scenes which make up like half of the films. Besides a few actions scenes the prequels are just boring and dull.
Complaining about camera angles is childish and pointless, and talking scenes make up most movies INCLUDING the originals that are praised so much. Empire was heavy with the talking scenes. It was a character driven story. Also, tax disputes are a common cause of conflict with a government, there had to be some pretext the Emperor had to use to start the Clone Wars and taxes is a very reasonable one, if it weren't discussed, the I can also promise you that would have been a complaint. And there weren't that many long conversations either. It only came up a couple times in the first film in a single sentence each, further proving you haven't really seen the prequels and really paid attention to them.

See, this is the problem that I have with the prequel haters, things they complain about in the prequels are things they overwhelmingly praise in the originals and the blatant hypocrisy of it all just absolutely mind boggling. And yet this isn't a problem to them somehow.

I don't mean to come across as overly offensive. But I am offended by this clear... assertion of incorrect things with the prequels while making it plainly obvious you haven't really watched it while actually paying attention to it to get ANY of the big details right. Being flat out wrong about the tax conversations for example. Things like that are extremely common in prequel haters. The attitude generally boils down to "they changed it, so it sucks" rather than actually trying to judge it on its own merits. Just look at how this is thread is going. The haters are convinced the new movie will suck. So they'll go into it with that conclusion already decided, and enough of them will pay so little attention they'll leave convinced it is bad and the hate will begin anew. It's really a simple, and common problem. And one easily spotted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zorth

#Scoundrel
No, no they do not. There has never been legitimate reasons for hating it, ever. It's that insanity that drove Lucas to selling his company. The vast majority of the complaints against the prequels are nonsensical and have zero basis in reality.

The vast majority of complaints of the prequels are legitimate, Have you watched Red Letter Media's reviews?
They perfectly explain the plot inconsistencies and every single one of their reasons is far from nonsensical.

This for example. I'd almost say you never bothered to actually watch the movies. At all. At best, I'd say you watched them but didn't actually pay much attention, zoned out. I do it too with movies and have unfairly judged them because of it as a result. I did it to the Lord of the Rings movies, I zoned out and just decided they were bad. When I actually gave them a chance and watched them paying full attention, I saw how amazing they were. I've seen enough of this, done enough myself, for the signs to be obvious. Particularly with getting details of the prequels WRONG, which prequel haters consistently do.

They were the most dramatic fights in science fiction movie history, period. As I've constantly noticed, what the prequel haters complain about doesn't match up with the actual reality of the movies and almost exactly matches the profile of people just going off repeated opinions of critics who never seen a minute of the films in their life. Those fights were some of the most emotionally driven battles ever put on screen.

lol?
Lasers, droids and lots of random stuff shoved into every frame as much as possible is emotionally driven?

Every single of those fights was drawn out longer than they had to be, again Red Letter Media explains this in much more detail.

I can guarantee you with 110% certainty that if the prequels made zero additional references or connections to the original besides the obvious (Obi-Wan, Anakin, Emperor), the prequel haters would have made that into one of their big complaints. They look for something to hate.

It IS the complaint => they didn't even put any effort to at least make the reference seem legit.. They just shoved it in there.

Complaining about camera angles is childish and pointless, and talking scenes make up most movies INCLUDING the originals that are praised so much. Empire was heavy with the talking scenes. It was a character driven story. Also, tax disputes are a common cause of conflict with a government, there had to be some pretext the Emperor had to use to start the Clone Wars and taxes is a very reasonable one, if it weren't discussed, the I can also promise you that would have been a complaint. And there weren't that many long conversations either. It only came up a couple times in the first film in a single sentence each, further proving you haven't really seen the prequels and really paid attention to them.

What pisses most people off is the lack of back story we get about the trade federation and how little sense it actually makes not the talking scenes..

Why did the people of Naboo fall into this huge crisis after a few days without space supplies?
How come we never actually see the crisis, where are the people getting killed on Naboo?
Why did palpatine want to kill the Jedi at the very beginning when it would've stopped the message of the crisis getting back to Coruscant, which would mean he wouldn't get the vote of no confidence?
Why did the trade federation land on the opposite side of the planet of Naboo when they just walked right into the capital city without facing any resistance?
Why did the trade federation send off their most valuable prisoner to Camp 4 with 5 droids when they just got informed that 2 Jedi Knights escaped them?

Now the above is just for The Phantom Menace..
But again.. Red Letter Media has half hour videos that explain this in much better detail than me for all of the prequels, So I suggest you go watch them.

See, this is the problem that I have with the prequel haters, things they complain about in the prequels are things they overwhelmingly praise in the originals and the blatant hypocrisy of it all just absolutely mind boggling. And yet this isn't a problem to them somehow.

Again.. go watch Red Letter Media's review and you'll see that none of the major complaints he mentions you will actually find in the original trilogy.

I don't mean to come across as overly offensive. But I am offended by this clear... assertion of incorrect things with the prequels while making it plainly obvious you haven't really watched it while actually paying attention to it to get ANY of the big details right. Being flat out wrong about the tax conversations for example. Things like that are extremely common in prequel haters. The attitude generally boils down to "they changed it, so it sucks" rather than actually trying to judge it on its own merits. Just look at how this is thread is going. The haters are convinced the new movie will suck. So they'll go into it with that conclusion already decided, and enough of them will pay so little attention they'll leave convinced it is bad and the hate will begin anew. It's really a simple, and common problem. And one easily spotted.

Then why did The Phantom Menace get so low scores?
It's the lowest rated movie of them all and it was released first and had lots of positive hype. Plus all of the complaints are perfectly legitimate?

Answer: It wasn't a great movie, It had many plot inconsistencies and lacked a protagonist.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
The vast majority of complaints of the prequels are legitimate, Have you watched Red Letter Media's reviews?
They perfectly explain the plot inconsistencies and every single one of their reasons is far from nonsensical.
I have. That's what confirmed they were nonsense.

lol?
Lasers, droids and lots of random stuff shoved into every frame as much as possible is emotionally driven?

Every single of those fights was drawn out longer than they had to be, again Red Letter Media explains this in much more detail.
The battles were focused on characters, not the overall conflict. The original trilogy was the other way around, where the conflict got more attention.

It IS the complaint => they didn't even put any effort to at least make the reference seem legit.. They just shoved it in there.
That's not what I see.

What pisses most people off is the lack of back story we get about the trade federation and how little sense it actually makes not the talking scenes..

Why did the people of Naboo fall into this huge crisis after a few days without space supplies?
How come we never actually see the crisis, where are the people getting killed on Naboo?
Why did palpatine want to kill the Jedi at the very beginning when it would've stopped the message of the crisis getting back to Coruscant, which would mean he wouldn't get the vote of no confidence?
Why did the trade federation land on the opposite side of the planet of Naboo when they just walked right into the capital city without facing any resistance?
Why did the trade federation send off their most valuable prisoner to Camp 4 with 5 droids when they just got informed that 2 Jedi Knights escaped them?
Thanks for posting that. All of this proves how little attention haters actually pay to it. These details are completely wrong.
  • The blockade had been going on for months, not a few days.
  • The characters were the focus, not the crisis. This complaint is in contradiction with the battle complaint.
  • Because they were two Jedi he didn't know. Of no consequence. He was good, but he couldn't know those particular ones would play the roles they did.
  • They DID NOT land on the opposite side of the planet. They landed on the same continent, a few hundred kilometers away, pretty standard for invasions. Naboo has a deep underwater network that goes all the way to the core, that's why it's called that. They did not go through the middle of the planet. Just think about it, the water pressure would be too high for life deep down.
  • Because they were stupid and their stupidity was made apparent and a frustration to Palpatine. They also didn't tell him they escaped. If you have a problem with characters making stupid mistakes that lets the heroes escape, then you clearly haven't seen many movies, because it's a Hollywood tradition.

Now the above is just for The Phantom Menace..
But again.. Red Letter Media has half hour videos that explain this in much better detail than me for all of the prequels, So I suggest you go watch them.
I have, my opinion stands. They clearly have payed very little attention to the source material.

Again.. go watch Red Letter Media's review and you'll see that none of the major complaints he mentions you will actually find in the original trilogy.
Not from what I see.

Then why did The Phantom Menace get so low scores?
It's the lowest rated movie of them all and it was released first and had lots of positive hype. Plus all of the complaints are perfectly legitimate?
They were not all "perfectly legitimate". Declaring that is extremely arrogant. Particularly with all the blatant lack of fact checking and zooming off on opinions based on incorrect facts that are easily corrected by just looking at the source material, which obviously few bother to even try to do.

Answer: It wasn't a great movie, It had many plot inconsistencies and lacked a protagonist.
"Protagonist" is not a singular term. A lot of movies, HIGHLY RATED ONES, have multiple protagonists and don't focus on one. Lord of the Rings for example. Citing this as a flaw is bewildering and adds to the pile of proof that shows the haters are hypocritical and don't know what they're talking about.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Ok, Matt, before I get into this I just want you to know that I understand your position and I am not trying to make you 'agree' that the prequels are bad. Not at all. All I am trying to do is point out that the opposite side of the argument, the side that says the prequels were bad, is a valid position and one that is held for good reason. That does not mean your position is any less valid, just that the argument against has merit too.

My issue here is the way you are accusing us who didn't like the prequels of not watching them, not paying attention and just being biased or childish about them. We weren't. We watched them. We paid close attention to them. It is through that careful watching we came to the see them as terrible. I'm going to go through the point you've made in response to me and Zorth and try to explain why we hold our position

No, no they do not. There has never been legitimate reasons for hating it, ever. At least the majority of the reasons the haters repeatedly cite, that is.It's that insanity that drove Lucas to selling his company. The vast majority of the complaints against the prequels are nonsensical and have zero basis in reality.

The Red Letter Media reviews are well put together, well researched and do give a legitimate case for disliking the prequels. Even if we remove our own personal opinions (which obviously dictate how we see the RLM reviews), surely we can agree that they make a genuine attempt to explain in detail, with great reference to the Star Wars franchise as a whole, the reasons why a large number of people didn't like the prequels. Whether you agree with them or not doesn't change that fact that they do give perhaps the most comprehensive detailing of why the films are so disliked.

When I watched the fights in the prequel trilogy I didn't feel anything. I felt no fear, no excitement, no tension, nothing. I knew Obi-Wan was never going to die, knew Yoda and the Emperor weren't going to die, I knew Anakin wasn't going to die and I knew Qui Gon and Dooku and Greivous would. That's an inherent flaw of prequels in general so it would be unfair to blame the prequel trilogy for that.
However, there are plenty of prequels which manage to still get tension into story. In Resident Evil Zero, for example, we knew Rebecca Chambers would survive the game but we didn't know if Billy Coen would. Whenever the pair are put into a life-threatening situation, there is always the chance Billy might die. That creates some tension which makes you feel something.
In the Star Wars prequels, every new character who was involved in these fights was either a Jedi or a Sith (or in Greivous' case working for the Sith) so we knew that at the end only Obi-Wan, Yoda, the Emperor and Vader would still be alive. Of of the new bad guys and good guys in these fights, we knew they were going to die at some point so their inevitable deaths didn't come as a surprise and we were never on the edge of our seat wondering how they were going to get out of this one because we already knew.

Then there's the fact the fights (particularly Obi-Wan vs. Anakin on Mustafar) go on for so long. Any initial burst of energy and emotion which got the fight going has, for the audience, faded after the 10-15 minutes of these fights. Rather than watching Obi-Wan try to avenge Qui Gon's death we end up watching Ewan McGregor reciting a precisely planned choreography. The fights lose emotional focus because they spend so much time trying to be visually impressive. Now, I will agree there, they were visually impressive, but there was little to no emotional connection to the fight for a lot of us and so we didn't engage with them as parts of the story.

An example RLM give is the duel between Vader and Luke at the climax of Return of the Jedi, in which an infuriated Luke simply starts pummelling Vader with his lightsabre. Luke's physical actions are in tune with his emotional state and we can relate to that. Who hasn't just lashed out in anger, with the express goal of just hurting someone? It's more interesting to watch because we can identify with Luke at that point, we can understand his feelings and the physical action helps tell that part of the story.
I couldn't relate to Yoda pogo-sticking his way around Count Dooku or Obi-Wan riding a giant lizard with a huge smile on his face.

These are legitimate reasons for not liking the fight sequences. You disagree and that's fine. These are just the reasons why I found no drama in the fights and therefore didn't like them.

His role was diminished because of people like you wanted something to hate about it.

'People like me'? That suggest there are pepe who valued Jar Jar's presence in The Phantom Menace. Opinions on whether he's annoying aside, Jar Jar's only story function was to get Qui Gon and Obi-Wan to the Gungan City (or Gunga City or Goonga City, Lucas himself constantly uses three different names in the behind the scenes footage on the DVD so it's anyone's game really). After they got to the city, there was no credible narrative reason for Jar Jar to come with them. And yet he ended up in all three prequels.
What if people hadn't minded his character? Not loved it, because that would give a legitimate reason to have him return, but I mean just hadn't been bothered about him. Would he be justified in returned twice when he had no real role to play?
A diminished role gives people less to hate about him because he was in there less. People's reason for hating him all stem from The Phantom Menace when we didn't know anything about him and quickly discovered we hated him. At one point, Jar Jar even breaks the fourth wall by looking directly at the camera and smiling. One of the CG characters looks directly at the camera and a lot of people see that as a direct taunt on the part of Lucas. He knew people disliked an almost completely redundant character but he still kept putting him back in and it can be argued he did it to antagonise his audience.

How can you guarantee that? People didn't complain just because characters like Jabba or Bobba Fett showed up, people complained because the way the were incorporated was either poor or outright pointless. If Jabba served some purpose then people wouldn't have called it a shoe-horn cameo.
Having Chewbacca present on Kashyyk was perhaps the most disliked of all. Chewy didn't even get involved in the battle, he was up with the commanders just doing nothing. His appearance was redundant and raised questions about Chewy's behaviour in the original trilogy. Fans actually created their own theory to try to justify Chewbacca's presence in Revenge of the Sith, and when the fans have to write your story for you, something has gone wrong somewhere down the line.

People didn't look for things to hate in these movies. Everyone was excited beyond belief when The Phantom Menace was announced. People went to see the films, saw how little sense they made and how poorly they had been filmed and then disliked them. They didn't try to hate them for no reason.

Complaining about camera techniques is an extremely valid criticism of a movie. Camera angles are used to incredible effect in the hands of a talented director. Take Speilberg's work on Jaws, Kubrick's work on The Shining or Nolan's work on Inception. Some of the most praised aspects of those films are the cinematography and how it was used to create either impressive visual effects or help tell the story. Even the original Star Wars trilogy uses great cinamatography. Abrilliant example is the very first shot in A New Hope. The camera is placed below the Star Destroyer to signify the Empire's power, size and dominance. We are being told part of the story just from where the camera is and how it makes us feel.

And yes, the orignal trilogy is made up of lots of talking scenes but the difference is the characters. In the orignal trilogy those dialogue scenes are used to help us learn more about the characters and develop their relationships as well as move the story forward. The scene in The Empire Strikes Back when Han Solo and Leia talk while repairing the Millenium Falcon serves one purpose and that is to develop their romance. It's far more interesting to watch because of they way Leia trys to resist and Han keep pouring on the charm than watching Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman sat on a couch quoting romance novel clichés at one another.

There's usually more going on when they talk in the original trilogy as well. I the prequels there are three types of talking scene: one where people sit down; one where people walk very slowly; one where people talk in the Senate or Jedi Council Chamber (I put these together because both are a circular room with people sit around the edge talking to someone in the centre). All of these talking scenes are filmed from flat angle and often over-the-shoulder. There's no imagination in them, no drama or even anything visually interesting. It's just a bad way to do dialogue scenes and if you watch the original trilogy, dialogue scenes in those films have a lot more going on.

As for the taxes, I wasn't disputing them being a reasonable cause of war, I was just making the point that we didn't really need so much background on the politics. In the original trilogy we could still feel deeply emotionally engaged with the fight against the Empire when all we were ever told was the Empire are bad. Nothing more. The prequels go into unecessary detail to set up the political scenario but then fail to truly explain what's going on. We know someone is being taxed. The film doesn't tell us who or how much or on what. The film also doesn't tell us why only Naboo is affected by these tax issues and talks of a crisis that is apparently killing the natives of Naboo yet we never see Naboo as anything but a lush, affluent paradise.
We didn't need the political background, but since it is there they could have at least made it coherent by giving us some explanation beyond 'taxes'.

The original trilogy and the prequels are nothing alike in almost every aspect, even the things like dialogue scenes. The originals are just better made films and it's because they were more of a co-operative effort, whereas the prequels had one man telling everyone what to do and no one standing up to say 'What if we do this...?'

I'm a bit offended that just because I have a different opinion to yours you label me a 'prequel hater' and constantly insult my capacity to watch a movie and understand what's happening.

Like I said at the start, I am not trying to make you change your mind, far from it. I am just trying to explain that there are two sides to this. The prequels are disliked so widely and so vehemently for very legitimate reasons. You are coming across as very resistant to the idea that people actually dislike emotionless fights, poor camera techniques, poorly written dialogue and characters, an over saturation of redundant visual effects, bad direction and more plot inconsistencies than the Mass Effect 3 ending.

We all watched the same movies and we all paid attention to them. We left with a very different opinion to you. That in no way means you understood the films better or paid more attention and it in no way means we went in wanting to hate them. There are two sides of this coin, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

I have. That's what confirmed they were nonsense.

The RLM reviews use clear examples and reasonable logic to show the flaws in the prequels. It explains these flaws from the perspective of an audience member and avid fan of Star Wars to highlight exactly why people dislike them. They go into detail about why the plots of all three prequels make no sense and are terribly written and use evidence from within the movies themselves to back up their claims.
You may disagree with them, but the points they make are valid ones. Just because you don't share their view doesn't mean their view isn't legitimate.

The battles were focused on characters, not the overall conflict. The original trilogy was the other way around, where the conflict got more attention.

In the prequels the battles were focused entirely on spectacle. If you're going to accuse us of not watching the films, maybe you shouldn't say things which are obviously wrong to everyone, even prequel supporters. I used the example above of Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul compared to Luke vs. Vader and explained how the physical actions of the fights are used to do very different things. Obi-Wan and Darth Maul's fight is centred around how fast they fight, how skilled they are and the whole scene is done to look as cool as possible. Luke and Vader's fight is just Luke hitting Vader repeatedly, using the lightsabre more like a club. This reveals Luke's emotions and he's us relate to the character. To say the focus there is the conflict and not the characters is a baffling position to take.

Another example, Yoda vs. Count Dooku. The fight starts with then both throwing rocks and lightning at each other and then a fast paced lightsabre duel which has a CG Yoda jumping around and bouncing off walls, doing backflips and somersaults and cartwheels around Dooku. The focus is clearly on the visual spectacle of seeing Yoda fight for the first time, not the characters, especially when you consider this is the first time either character has interacted with each other in the film so there's no emotional build up to their battle.
Compare that to Leia chasing Boba Fett at the end of The Empire Strikes Back. There's a sense of urgency in the fact everyone's running around, there's no style to the fight, they just see Stormtroopers and shoot. This is more relatable because Leia doesn't have time for fancy tricks and skill shots, she just needs to get them out of her way. There's the emotional charge of what happens if she doesn't rescue Han? Will he die? With Dooku vs. Yoda we knew Dooku wouldn't kill a single person in the room because they are all in the original trilogy. No tension, no drama.

The fight sequences in the prequels have no concern for character at all except one point, Obi-Wan vs. Anakin on Mustafar but that fight goes on for far too long and the only reason why is so we can have as many visually impressive shots of the two fighting over lava as possible. We know both characters survive the fight so putting them in a perilous situation like that had no function other than to show off what Lucas can get people to render on their computers. So the only example of a prequel fight focusing on character is actually the best example of them not focusing on character at all.

That's not what I see.

This was in regard or the Jabba cameo in The Phantom Menace and this quote really explains why I don't appreciate your zealously one-sided view of this matter. Because when it gets down to it, all the things you praise the prequels for, all of the things you identify as positives, well, that's not what I see. I see a different film to you, one that was terrible in every way. But instead of deciding Episode 7 will be bad because of that, instead of slating your opinion about the prequels, instead of accusing you of having not watched the movies at all, I understand that what I saw is not what you saw. I understand and accept that.

Again, my goal here isn't to make you see the prequels the way I do. It is merely to explain why I see them differently to you. You keep saying 'prequel haters' have no valid complaints but they do. They have hundreds of them. You just don't see them. Well here they are. You don't have to agree with them, but they are here and they are valid.

Thanks for posting that. All of this proves how little attention haters actually pay to it. These details are completely wrong.
  • The blockade had been going on for months, not a few days.
  • The characters were the focus, not the crisis. This complaint is in contradiction with the battle complaint.
  • Because they were two Jedi he didn't know. Of no consequence. He was good, but he couldn't know those particular ones would play the roles they did.
  • They DID NOT land on the opposite side of the planet. They landed on the same continent, a few hundred kilometers away, pretty standard for invasions. Naboo has a deep underwater network that goes all the way to the core, that's why it's called that. They did not go through the middle of the planet. Just think about it, the water pressure would be too high for life deep down.
  • Because they were stupid and their stupidity was made apparent and a frustration to Palpatine. They also didn't tell him they escaped. If you have a problem with characters making stupid mistakes that lets the heroes escape, then you clearly haven't seen many movies, because it's a Hollywood tradition.

-The blockade lasted months and yet the planet doesn't seem to be suffering at all so the blockade has no real effect and how long it has been there isn't important.
-All the characters ever did was talk about the crisis. There was no development of relationships because every conversation centred on the crisis and what could be done to resolve it.
-Just because Palpatine didn't know the Jedi doesn't mean killing them would have hindered his plans. His entire goal was to get word of the crisis to the Senate. Those two Jdi were there to provide the Senate with a report on the situation. Killing them, for any reason, directly hinders his plans by preventing word of the crisis getting to the Senate.
-going through the planet's core does seem to suggest they landed on the other side of the planet. If they landed on the same continent as the Naboo City, why would they eve have to go through the core? Boss Nass makes it very clear that the core is the fastest route and if they were on the same continent, the core would be a completely unecessary detour.
-The last point I have no issue with. It was a stupid decision but that sort of thing does indeed happen all the time in movies so complaining about it here would be unfair.

I have, my opinion stands. They clearly have payed very little attention to the source material.

If there's one thing RLM did it was pay close attention to the source material. To say they didn't isn't even an opinion, it's just wrong. You can disagree with their conclusions all you want but they did pay attention. You can't make a review that is longer than the movie without paying attention to the movie.

They were not all "perfectly legitimate". Declaring that is extremely arrogant. Particularly with all the blatant lack of fact checking and zooming off on opinions based on incorrect facts that are easily corrected by just looking at the source material, which obviously few bother to even try to do.

So to say I didn't like the film because the characters were poorly written isn't legitimate? To say I didn't like the film because the plot has numerous holes and makes no real sense is arrogant? To say I didn't like the film because the action sequences had no tension or drama because of a total lack of focus on character and an overindulgence in redundant visual effects is me having not paid the films any attention?

What's "extremely arrogant" is the assertion that everyone who disagrees with you is wrong about everything, the suggestion that they are not as intelligent as you because they 'didn't understand it' and the belief that any opinion which differs for your own is based on lies.

Again, you have your opinion of these films, fine. Great. I hope you enjoy them. But to say that everyone who disagrees is wrong is an insult and extremely close-minded. There are problems with these films. You didn't see them, fair enough. Others did. It's no good telling us our opinion is wrong when we can back it up with evidence from the films themselves. This is why RLM became so popular. Their reviews took everything we didn't like in the film and articulated it all in a way which clearly expresses all of our frustrations. Just because you disagree doesn't mean those frustrations don't exist and it doesn't mean the people who have them didn't watch the movies.

I don't mean to sound like I am attacking your opinion because that truly is not my intent. My reason for posting this is simply to try to let you see that it is possible to not like the prequels for valid reasons. Saying we didn't watch them or suggesting we didn't get it is childish and insulting and all I ask is that you acknowledge that we are not idiots, we simply didn't like the prequels.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Ok, Matt, before I get into this I just want you to know that I understand your position and I am not trying to make you 'agree' that the prequels are bad. Not at all. All I am trying to do is point out that the opposite side of the argument, the side that says the prequels were bad, is a valid position and one that is held for good reason. That does not mean your position is any less valid, just that the argument against has merit too.
I'd be repeating myself too much by replying to all of it. But I can say this first, you are trying very hard to convince me your side is right.

My issue here is the way you are accusing us who didn't like the prequels of not watching them, not paying attention and just being biased or childish about them. We weren't. We watched them. We paid close attention to them. It is through that careful watching we came to the see them as terrible. I'm going to go through the point you've made in response to me and Zorth and try to explain why we hold our position
Because you keep getting details wrong. Even after denying not having really watched them attentively, you STILL get details wrong. What other conclusion is there? That you watched it once, years ago and never again? Not much better.

The Red Letter Media reviews are well put together, well researched and do give a legitimate case for disliking the prequels. Even if we remove our own personal opinions (which obviously dictate how we see the RLM reviews), surely we can agree that they make a genuine attempt to explain in detail, with great reference to the Star Wars franchise as a whole, the reasons why a large number of people didn't like the prequels. Whether you agree with them or not doesn't change that fact that they do give perhaps the most comprehensive detailing of why the films are so disliked.
The reviews were full of incorrect information, broken details, misconceptions. All sorts of things indicative of not really pay attention to the source material and not doing real research.

When I watched the fights in the prequel trilogy I didn't feel anything. I felt no fear, no excitement, no tension, nothing. I knew Obi-Wan was never going to die, knew Yoda and the Emperor weren't going to die, I knew Anakin wasn't going to die and I knew Qui Gon and Dooku and Greivous would. That's an inherent flaw of prequels in general so it would be unfair to blame the prequel trilogy for that.
However, there are plenty of prequels which manage to still get tension into story. In Resident Evil Zero, for example, we knew Rebecca Chambers would survive the game but we didn't know if Billy Coen would. Whenever the pair are put into a life-threatening situation, there is always the chance Billy might die. That creates some tension which makes you feel something.
In the Star Wars prequels, every new character who was involved in these fights was either a Jedi or a Sith (or in Greivous' case working for the Sith) so we knew that at the end only Obi-Wan, Yoda, the Emperor and Vader would still be alive. Of of the new bad guys and good guys in these fights, we knew they were going to die at some point so their inevitable deaths didn't come as a surprise and we were never on the edge of our seat wondering how they were going to get out of this one because we already knew.

Then there's the fact the fights (particularly Obi-Wan vs. Anakin on Mustafar) go on for so long. Any initial burst of energy and emotion which got the fight going has, for the audience, faded after the 10-15 minutes of these fights. Rather than watching Obi-Wan try to avenge Qui Gon's death we end up watching Ewan McGregor reciting a precisely planned choreography. The fights lose emotional focus because they spend so much time trying to be visually impressive. Now, I will agree there, they were visually impressive, but there was little to no emotional connection to the fight for a lot of us and so we didn't engage with them as parts of the story.

An example RLM give is the duel between Vader and Luke at the climax of Return of the Jedi, in which an infuriated Luke simply starts pummelling Vader with his lightsabre. Luke's physical actions are in tune with his emotional state and we can relate to that. Who hasn't just lashed out in anger, with the express goal of just hurting someone? It's more interesting to watch because we can identify with Luke at that point, we can understand his feelings and the physical action helps tell that part of the story.
I couldn't relate to Yoda pogo-sticking his way around Count Dooku or Obi-Wan riding a giant lizard with a huge smile on his face.

These are legitimate reasons for not liking the fight sequences. You disagree and that's fine. These are just the reasons why I found no drama in the fights and therefore didn't like them.
Going to tackle these all at once. Despite you pointing it out, what you said immeadiately after still says you know what characters are going to survive so therefore it's boring. This is an opinion, not a legitmate reason, not in the way you're talking about.

'People like me'? That suggest there are pepe who valued Jar Jar's presence in The Phantom Menace. Opinions on whether he's annoying aside, Jar Jar's only story function was to get Qui Gon and Obi-Wan to the Gungan City (or Gunga City or Goonga City, Lucas himself constantly uses three different names in the behind the scenes footage on the DVD so it's anyone's game really). After they got to the city, there was no credible narrative reason for Jar Jar to come with them. And yet he ended up in all three prequels.
What if people hadn't minded his character? Not loved it, because that would give a legitimate reason to have him return, but I mean just hadn't been bothered about him. Would he be justified in returned twice when he had no real role to play?
A diminished role gives people less to hate about him because he was in there less. People's reason for hating him all stem from The Phantom Menace when we didn't know anything about him and quickly discovered we hated him. At one point, Jar Jar even breaks the fourth wall by looking directly at the camera and smiling. One of the CG characters looks directly at the camera and a lot of people see that as a direct taunt on the part of Lucas. He knew people disliked an almost completely redundant character but he still kept putting him back in and it can be argued he did it to antagonise his audience.
There are silly characters in all sorts of movies and they're not all hated. Some of the same people that like the silly characters in one movie hate them in another. And what you said is pretty much paranoia. Thinking it's about you, the people that hate the prequels. Looking at the camera is common for CG characters. It is universal for animated characters. And yet when it's in Star Wars it's suddenly just a taunt? Don't you see the paranoia?

How can you guarantee that? People didn't complain just because characters like Jabba or Bobba Fett showed up, people complained because the way the were incorporated was either poor or outright pointless. If Jabba served some purpose then people wouldn't have called it a shoe-horn cameo.
Having Chewbacca present on Kashyyk was perhaps the most disliked of all. Chewy didn't even get involved in the battle, he was up with the commanders just doing nothing. His appearance was redundant and raised questions about Chewy's behaviour in the original trilogy. Fans actually created their own theory to try to justify Chewbacca's presence in Revenge of the Sith, and when the fans have to write your story for you, something has gone wrong somewhere down the line.

People didn't look for things to hate in these movies. Everyone was excited beyond belief when The Phantom Menace was announced. People went to see the films, saw how little sense they made and how poorly they had been filmed and then disliked them. They didn't try to hate them for no reason.
Yes, they did. The signs are obvious. Above all, hating things that just don't exist in the movies.

Complaining about camera techniques is an extremely valid criticism of a movie. Camera angles are used to incredible effect in the hands of a talented director. Take Speilberg's work on Jaws, Kubrick's work on The Shining or Nolan's work on Inception. Some of the most praised aspects of those films are the cinematography and how it was used to create either impressive visual effects or help tell the story. Even the original Star Wars trilogy uses great cinamatography. Abrilliant example is the very first shot in A New Hope. The camera is placed below the Star Destroyer to signify the Empire's power, size and dominance. We are being told part of the story just from where the camera is and how it makes us feel.
Camera angles are not that important. They can play a role, but they don't make or brake a film. And I certainly did not get that size/power/dominance feeling from the first shot of A New Hope. This entire criticism is based on extremely esoteric definitions of what certain positions mean and most people have no idea what it means and never will think about it until someone complains. Hence, why it's a fairly pointless criticism.

And yes, the orignal trilogy is made up of lots of talking scenes but the difference is the characters. In the orignal trilogy those dialogue scenes are used to help us learn more about the characters and develop their relationships as well as move the story forward. The scene in The Empire Strikes Back when Han Solo and Leia talk while repairing the Millenium Falcon serves one purpose and that is to develop their romance. It's far more interesting to watch because of they way Leia trys to resist and Han keep pouring on the charm than watching Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman sat on a couch quoting romance novel clichés at one another.
Have you seen an actual romance? You know, with real actual living people? They're more like the one in the prequels than the one in the original trilogy. The original one is a fiction that just doesn't happen in reality. Real romances are the goofy kind filled with clichés. Being real makes it more relatable to people. This is a stylistic choice. It's something you either like or don't like. It's not something you can say is a legitmate flaw. It isn't. It's a matter of taste.

There's usually more going on when they talk in the original trilogy as well. I the prequels there are three types of talking scene: one where people sit down; one where people walk very slowly; one where people talk in the Senate or Jedi Council Chamber (I put these together because both are a circular room with people sit around the edge talking to someone in the centre). All of these talking scenes are filmed from flat angle and often over-the-shoulder. There's no imagination in them, no drama or even anything visually interesting. It's just a bad way to do dialogue scenes and if you watch the original trilogy, dialogue scenes in those films have a lot more going on.
Again, this is a matter of taste and entirely dependent on opinion and esoteric meanings, and NOT a legitimate flaw.

As for the taxes, I wasn't disputing them being a reasonable cause of war, I was just making the point that we didn't really need so much background on the politics. In the original trilogy we could still feel deeply emotionally engaged with the fight against the Empire when all we were ever told was the Empire are bad. Nothing more. The prequels go into unecessary detail to set up the political scenario but then fail to truly explain what's going on. We know someone is being taxed. The film doesn't tell us who or how much or on what. The film also doesn't tell us why only Naboo is affected by these tax issues and talks of a crisis that is apparently killing the natives of Naboo yet we never see Naboo as anything but a lush, affluent paradise.
We didn't need the political background, but since it is there they could have at least made it coherent by giving us some explanation beyond 'taxes'.
What's so hard to understand about taxes. Trade routes were being taxed. Businesses hate being taxed. The seperatists were mostly businesses. You just contradicted yourself. Saying you don't need information that we either don't need or already know, then say that we need more if is mentioned. Those are mutually exclusive.

The original trilogy and the prequels are nothing alike in almost every aspect, even the things like dialogue scenes. The originals are just better made films and it's because they were more of a co-operative effort, whereas the prequels had one man telling everyone what to do and no one standing up to say 'What if we do this...?'
So you're saying that if someone's story is public, made into a movie, they suddenly no longer have creative control over it? And they are obligated to concede to people who want them to change their work to fit their desires? No thanks. I prefer to stick to artistic integrity. Artists should retain creative control over their work.

I'm a bit offended that just because I have a different opinion to yours you label me a 'prequel hater' and constantly insult my capacity to watch a movie and understand what's happening.
I did no such thing. And the fact that you jumped to that assumption does not make me feel better about your position at all.

Like I said at the start, I am not trying to make you change your mind, far from it. I am just trying to explain that there are two sides to this. The prequels are disliked so widely and so vehemently for very legitimate reasons. You are coming across as very resistant to the idea that people actually dislike emotionless fights, poor camera techniques, poorly written dialogue and characters, an over saturation of redundant visual effects, bad direction and more plot inconsistencies than the Mass Effect 3 ending.
You're certainly trying pretty hard to point out how illogical my position is for someone that says they're not trying to do that.

We all watched the same movies and we all paid attention to them. We left with a very different opinion to you. That in no way means you understood the films better or paid more attention and it in no way means we went in wanting to hate them. There are two sides of this coin, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.
At still the other side still gets a huge amount of details wrong and keep going on about problems that don't exist in the movies.

The RLM reviews use clear examples and reasonable logic to show the flaws in the prequels. It explains these flaws from the perspective of an audience member and avid fan of Star Wars to highlight exactly why people dislike them. They go into detail about why the plots of all three prequels make no sense and are terribly written and use evidence from within the movies themselves to back up their claims.
You may disagree with them, but the points they make are valid ones. Just because you don't share their view doesn't mean their view isn't legitimate.
Hating a film because you don't like details that you've gotten wrong that contradict the source you're criticizing is not "reasonable logic." Their view is an opinion, not "legitimate". My view is an opinion, not "legitimate". The way you talk about it makes it sound like the opinion is a fact and it isn't.

In the prequels the battles were focused entirely on spectacle. If you're going to accuse us of not watching the films, maybe you shouldn't say things which are obviously wrong to everyone, even prequel supporters. I used the example above of Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul compared to Luke vs. Vader and explained how the physical actions of the fights are used to do very different things. Obi-Wan and Darth Maul's fight is centred around how fast they fight, how skilled they are and the whole scene is done to look as cool as possible. Luke and Vader's fight is just Luke hitting Vader repeatedly, using the lightsabre more like a club. This reveals Luke's emotions and he's us relate to the character. To say the focus there is the conflict and not the characters is a baffling position to take.

Another example, Yoda vs. Count Dooku. The fight starts with then both throwing rocks and lightning at each other and then a fast paced lightsabre duel which has a CG Yoda jumping around and bouncing off walls, doing backflips and somersaults and cartwheels around Dooku. The focus is clearly on the visual spectacle of seeing Yoda fight for the first time, not the characters, especially when you consider this is the first time either character has interacted with each other in the film so there's no emotional build up to their battle.
Compare that to Leia chasing Boba Fett at the end of The Empire Strikes Back. There's a sense of urgency in the fact everyone's running around, there's no style to the fight, they just see Stormtroopers and shoot. This is more relatable because Leia doesn't have time for fancy tricks and skill shots, she just needs to get them out of her way. There's the emotional charge of what happens if she doesn't rescue Han? Will he die? With Dooku vs. Yoda we knew Dooku wouldn't kill a single person in the room because they are all in the original trilogy. No tension, no drama.

The fight sequences in the prequels have no concern for character at all except one point, Obi-Wan vs. Anakin on Mustafar but that fight goes on for far too long and the only reason why is so we can have as many visually impressive shots of the two fighting over lava as possible. We know both characters survive the fight so putting them in a perilous situation like that had no function other than to show off what Lucas can get people to render on their computers. So the only example of a prequel fight focusing on character is actually the best example of them not focusing on character at all.
These are all opinions. Not facts. You certainly have every right to have these opinions, but please stop presenting them as "facts". They are not facts. Your interpretation of a fight scene does not constitute a fact. It's your opinion.

This was in regard or the Jabba cameo in The Phantom Menace and this quote really explains why I don't appreciate your zealously one-sided view of this matter. Because when it gets down to it, all the things you praise the prequels for, all of the things you identify as positives, well, that's not what I see. I see a different film to you, one that was terrible in every way. But instead of deciding Episode 7 will be bad because of that, instead of slating your opinion about the prequels, instead of accusing you of having not watched the movies at all, I understand that what I saw is not what you saw. I understand and accept that.
I'm not one-sided. I'm this way no matter if I hate or like the film in question. I hate hating things for bad reasons. And the vast majority of the haters' reasons are very bad reasons. Particularly this hating the film for imagined flaws on rumor-based details that do not line up at all with what is actually in the film(s). Which is exactly the case with many of the reasons. And forcing your opinions on others as "fact" is just as damaging, and that's just as bad. For example, all "this is a bad way to shoot a scene." THAT IS YOUR OPINION, NOT A FACT! Stop acting like it's a fact. It isn't.

Again, my goal here isn't to make you see the prequels the way I do. It is merely to explain why I see them differently to you. You keep saying 'prequel haters' have no valid complaints but they do. They have hundreds of them. You just don't see them. Well here they are. You don't have to agree with them, but they are here and they are valid.
Could have fooled me. There's a lot of presenting opinion as fact and trying to point out how illogical it is to not see it your way.

-The blockade lasted months and yet the planet doesn't seem to be suffering at all so the blockade has no real effect and how long it has been there isn't important.
-All the characters ever did was talk about the crisis. There was no development of relationships because every conversation centred on the crisis and what could be done to resolve it.
-Just because Palpatine didn't know the Jedi doesn't mean killing them would have hindered his plans. His entire goal was to get word of the crisis to the Senate. Those two Jdi were there to provide the Senate with a report on the situation. Killing them, for any reason, directly hinders his plans by preventing word of the crisis getting to the Senate.
-going through the planet's core does seem to suggest they landed on the other side of the planet. If they landed on the same continent as the Naboo City, why would they eve have to go through the core? Boss Nass makes it very clear that the core is the fastest route and if they were on the same continent, the core would be a completely unecessary detour.
-The last point I have no issue with. It was a stupid decision but that sort of thing does indeed happen all the time in movies so complaining about it here would be unfair.
Did you even bother reading what I said? The underwater parts of Naboo are all interconnected and are linked to the planet's core and therefore are actually collectively called "the core." It's not literally the planet's core, not the part they're in that is. The Gunga City and Theed are very close to each other, a few hundred kilometers apart. That place they plan the battle is in the plans east of Theed within a few kilometers of the "Sacred Place" the Gungans were hiding at which in turn is not far from Gunga City.
Palpatine was going to get his position through the invasion another way, he simply took advantage of the situation when it didn't go quite as he planned. It in no way means that's how he intended it and was therefore "incompetent" for trying to stop them. He's an opportunist and is a master at adapting to things not going precisely to his plan so that he can still lead things in the way he wants. Again this all still clearly rings out that the source, the movies, are being ignored and you're just hating misconceptions.

If there's one thing RLM did it was pay close attention to the source material. To say they didn't isn't even an opinion, it's just wrong. You can disagree with their conclusions all you want but they did pay attention. You can't make a review that is longer than the movie without paying attention to the movie.
They are wrong about a lot of things. It's not just interpretative it wrong. They get very basic things that happen in the films completely wrong. So wrong they can't have actually sat and really watched it. And yes you so can make something longer than the movie without paying attention to it. It's rather silly that you think you can't.

So to say I didn't like the film because the characters were poorly written isn't legitimate? To say I didn't like the film because the plot has numerous holes and makes no real sense is arrogant? To say I didn't like the film because the action sequences had no tension or drama because of a total lack of focus on character and an overindulgence in redundant visual effects is me having not paid the films any attention?
No, like I said the first time,the fact that you keep getting A LOT of details wrong means you weren't paying attention to the films. I not once said it was because of your opinion on them. And I find it extremely insulting that you are assuming I said anything of the kind when, in fact, I did not. Which is even more of complaining about misconceptions of what actually happened and then criticizing for it.

What's "extremely arrogant" is the assertion that everyone who disagrees with you is wrong about everything, the suggestion that they are not as intelligent as you because they 'didn't understand it' and the belief that any opinion which differs for your own is based on lies.
I said no such thing. Don't try to degrade and demonize people that don't agree with you. And that's ironic, because that's what you're comp

Again, you have your opinion of these films, fine. Great. I hope you enjoy them. But to say that everyone who disagrees is wrong is an insult and extremely close-minded.
Again, I said no such thing. Stop making things up to insult me.
There are problems with these films. You didn't see them, fair enough. Others did. It's no good telling us our opinion is wrong when we can back it up with evidence from the films themselves. This is why RLM became so popular. Their reviews took everything we didn't like in the film and articulated it all in a way which clearly expresses all of our frustrations. Just because you disagree doesn't mean those frustrations don't exist and it doesn't mean the people who have them didn't watch the movies.
When the details you give are inconsistent with the film, then the films DO NOT back up your opinions. It's as simple as that. Of course the frustrations exist. And most of them are about things that are not true that are purely misconceptions that are not supported by the actual films themselves.

I don't mean to sound like I am attacking your opinion because that truly is not my intent. My reason for posting this is simply to try to let you see that it is possible to not like the prequels for valid reasons. Saying we didn't watch them or suggesting we didn't get it is childish and insulting and all I ask is that you acknowledge that we are not idiots, we simply didn't like the prequels.
Putting words in my mouth I didn't say was a pretty good attack. Pretty hard to misinterperate. And I never said it wasn't possible to hate them for a good reason. I said, more than once, that the majority of the given reasons why they were bad are absurd. And they are. Basing your views of a movie on misconceptions and shoddy research that doesn't pass fact-checking IS A BAD REASON WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT. Thinking it is a good reason is completely ridiculous. It isn't. And there is still a huge amount of hypocrisy with the not-so-ridicuolous reasons in hating the movies. In some cases it's hating what is in theses movies while you praise it in another. Or, hating something for a stylistic choice. That's okay, of course, but it is almost always as presented in a way that's like, paraphrasing here, "it is a fact that is a bad way to tell a story, shoot a scene, etc." on things that are purely based on taste that are opinion based. They're the only real reasons that are actually valid, and legitimate. But they're presented so childishly and shoved in other people's faces as if we're supposed to share your stylistic tastes because you said so. It doesn't work like that.
I meant what I say when I said prequel haters behaved childishly. They do. Come on. Isn't behaving as if your taste in storytelling is a fact an immature thing to do? You bet it is. But it's something they repeatedly do.

You're being incredibly condescending Matt, people aren't just not watching them, the fact is they probably have a clearer view. I'm going to bite the bullet and be straight where Cfrock is trying to be polite; Episode 1 is downright AWFUL, and there is no subjectivity about it, it is a bad bad film, everything about it is bad, from the poor characterisation, terrible acting (the only good actor playing a main character, Ewan McGregor, seems like he's horrified at the script and can't be bothered, something which also shows in the other prequels, and rightly so), crappy plotting, and poor direction. It exists only as a special effects machine for those too young to remember the originals and to build on the mythology for Star Wars fanboys who are blinkered to whether they are actually objectively good films are not. The dialogue ranges from stilted and boring to laughably, embarrassingly stupid, and action scenes with no tension that stay well beyond their welcome.

Episode 2 is better than 1 simply because it has the same drawbacks but not as pronounced, mainly because Anakin is no longer being played by the worst child actor in history and has a significantly reduced Jar Jar Binks factor. Episode 3 is the best of the prequels, although that's not really saying much, and the only one worth watching, basically because it's a standard summertime popcorn fantasy action movie wrapped in a Star Wars skin.

None of them live up to the original trilogy, especially the bona fide classic that is Episode 5, and only one of them stands up as an OK film in it's own right.

I understand I'm probably being rather condescending myself, but that happens when I become frustrated.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
So in a thread about the future of Star Wars, people are debating about whether the prequels are bad movies are not. Interesting.

tumblr_mcrwnwVPlb1r3d2bno2_500.jpg

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Matt you are just 100% wrong on the RLM part, The RLM media views have valid claims. If you disagree then be my guest and list every single on of their points to me and explain why you think they are false so I can prove you wrong.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to make you "hate" the prequels, I don't even hate them really, I enjoy watching them occasionally but they are far from perfect films. That's the only thing I'm arguing here, Not that the prequels are "bad", but that they aren't perfect. They have flaws, (just like every movie). If you are gonna keep denying that they have flaws then I really have nothing more to discuss here. :p

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
So in a thread about the future of Star Wars, people are debating about whether the prequels are bad movies are not. Interesting.
Well this attitude shows they made up their mind already about the new trilogy. They're clearly convinced it's going to be bad. And their only option to those that disagree is to slander them, as they did here.

Anyway, I don't know about Disney handling it. They tend to water things down when they get a hold of it. But I'll give them a chance. They actually own a lot more movie franchises than people realize, they just publish under the label of the subsidiarity company instead of directly as themselves. And a lot of those movies have been good, sequels included. It's just their own direct work they seem to have trouble making good sequels to. I will remain undecided until I actually see it instead of making up my mind in advance like... some people have.

Matt you are just 100% wrong on the RLM part, The RLM media views have valid claims. If you disagree then be my guest and list every single on of their points to me and explain why you think they are false so I can prove you wrong.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to make you "hate" the prequels, I don't even hate them really, I enjoy watching them occasionally but they are far from perfect films. That's the only thing I'm arguing here, Not that the prequels are "bad", but that they aren't perfect. They have flaws, (just like every movie). If you are gonna keep denying that they have flaws then I really have nothing more to discuss here. :p
Not once have I ever said they were perfect and flawless. I specifically made a point of saying all movies have flaws and you'll find a lot if you try to find a reason to hate any movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
No Matt is not 100% wrong here. I think he tries to say that he won't judge about a movie before he has seen it and paid full attention so he can make a judgement. He doesn't say you have to like or dislike it or agree with what he think. I do agree with him that there are enough people who have not seen a movie or didn't pay too much attention to it and still think they can make a proper judgement. In this way Matt is absolutely right.

For myself I think the prequels could have done better. The story should have been worked out a bit more. I thought it was all created a bit hasty and there was some terrible dialogue in it. But I still will see the 7th movie because I like to see what is coming next.

Last edited:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
No Matt is not 100% wrong here. I think he tries to say that he won't judge about a movie before he has seen it and paid full attention so he can make a judgement. He doesn't say you have to like or dislike it or agree with what he think. I do agree with him that there are enough people who have not seen a movie or didn't pay too much attention to it so they think they can make a proper judgement. In this way Matt is right.
That is what I have been saying. And I would have been saying the exact same thing even if I agreed that the prequels were bad because most of the reasons most people have are absurd and they make it plainly obvious that a lot of them haven't really watched it or payed attention while watching. Hating something that really is bad for bad reasons is a bad thing that diminishes all works if we cannot be honest in our criticisms instead of relying on hearsay and presumptions.

For myself I think the prequels could have done better. The story should have been worked out a bit more. I thought it was all created a bit hasty and there was some terrible dialogue in it. But I still will see the 7th movie because I like to see what is coming next.
I also think they could have been better. They were not the best they could have been. But neither were they the vile pieces of garbage people make them out to be. I will reserve judgement on seven until I get to see it.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Camera angles are not that important.

You know what, I don't care if you call me childish for this but I genuinely stopped reading when you said that.

Matt, you have basically either ignored or misunderstood every word I said. You are simply telling me repeatedly that I got details wrong and never explain which ones. You are repeatedly telling me I didn't watch the movies, which is a ridiculous assumption. You are repeatedly telling me I am childish because I happen to believe actual camera work is important in a movie. I'm done.

I tried to be polite and give the other side of the coin. I wasn't trying to convince you of anything other than the fact that there are people who dislike the prequels and they have their reasons for it. All you did in response was tell me and everyone else who disliked the prequels that we were all wrong, we all didn't understand the film, that you are right, we are wrong and we should all stop having opinions. I find that insulting. I find your total lack of effort to even understand what I'm saying insulting.

At no point have I said I think Episode 7 will be bad. At no point. At no point have I said that Lucas should have given into his detractors and changed his films. At no point. All I have done is give the reasons why I (and many others) dislike the prequels. All you have done is ignore what I've said and tell me I am wrong and my opinion is wrong. So as far as discussing the prequels goes, I'm done. I said my piece, you chose to ignore it. There's nothing more to be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom