• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SPOILERS! How the Third Spilt Doesn't Happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
Alright, so the first time we got a glimpse of the Hyrule Historia timeline, we all assumed that the third spilt was of Link being defeated. I think the zelda community as a whole rejected this possibility, as it is a "what if" scenario. Zelda fans then searched for a way that this third spilt makes sense. The one thing I keep hearing is the fact that once Link goes back in time in OoT to go Inside the Well, he is creating an "Alternate Past", and then by going back, an "Alternate Future". This theory states that once he goes back in time and changes something, it is changing the future, so it cannot be the same future as the one he came from. However, both times Link has to go back in time for the main quest, there is evidence that he has already been there. The two times are 1) to get the lens of truth 2) to get the silver gauntlets. Below I will explain how in both these situations there is clear evidence he has already been there, meaning there is no "Alternate Past".

In the first situation, Link needs to go back in time to get the lens of truth in the bottom of the well. If Link as an adult goes to Guru Guru, he will say, "I'll never forget what happened on that day, seven years ago! Grrrrrrrrr!! It's all that Ocarina kid's fault! Next time he comes around here, I'm gonna mess him up!" If Link takes out his ocarina, Guru Guru will react by saying, "What?! You've got an ocarina!! What the heck! That reminds me of that time, seven years ago! Back then a mean kid came here and played a strange song. It messed up this windmill! I'll never forget this song!" He will then teach Link the Song of Storms. Once Link learns and then plays the song, Guru Guru will say, "Oh, no! A strom again!! You played the Ocarina again, didn't you!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!" Guru Guru is clearly telling us that Link has already been there to play the song of storms and to go inside the well, so when Link actually does do it for the first time, he is not creating an "Alternate Past", but remaining in the same linear timeline.

In the second situation, Link must go back in time so he can retrieve the silver gauntlets from the Spirit Temple, but he cannot go as an adult. Before arriving at the Spirit Temple, Link learns from a Gerudo that the second-in-command, Nabooru, lives in the Spirit Temple. Once he goes there as an adult, there is no sign of hear at all. NONE. No house at the side, or openings in the temple. She is not there. However, upon returning as a child, she is there in the temple. Once Link acquires the silver Gauntlets, he sees Twinrova capturing Nabooru. If she is captured in the past, and is not there in the future, it is telling us that it is again a linear timeline, it is the same time. Link has already been there when he arrived as an adult, and has already gotten the silver gauntlets.

The only time there is a legitimate spilt in the timeline is at the end, when Zelda sends Link back in time so he can live out his childhood as he should have. He goes to Zelda, and tells her everything that will happen, and thus Ganondorf is sent to be executed. The two timelines are as follows: The Adult Timeline, where Link along with help from the sages have sealed Ganondorf into the Sacred Realm, and the Child Timeline, where Ganondorf has been sent to be executed.

btw The quotes for Guru Guru have been taken directly out of Caleb's video walkthrough of Ocarina of Time.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
the way i see it, even though Link goes back in time, the effect is already in the future because the event has already taken in the past. the well in Kakariko is empty in the future because Link emptied it in the past, it doesn't suddenly empty it in the future once you go back and empty it. Just like in SS, because you plan the tree in the past, it should have been there all along through the rest of the game, not just suddenly appear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom