• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds *Spoilers* Another (Better) Way to Remove Boards Over Windows

Boards over windows (e.g. at the beginning of the Dark Palace) -- everything I have read so far has suggested using bombs to remove them (including the Zelda Dungeon walkthrough). However, what seemed intuitive to me when I first encountered them was to try to burn them away, so I used the Fire Rod, and it worked.

So, just FYI that there is this other way to remove them that is probably a little less hassle than throwing a bomb.

We were supposed to use bombs? ...What? Instinct just told me to use the Fire Rod because... well, um... fire. Bombs make fiery explosions, sure, but using them didn't even cross my mind. It's kind of like burning away the curtains in the Earth Temple from The Wind Waker with fire arrows. Something just, like, internally told me that I was supposed to burn them... I just didn't give it much thought. Besides, I had the Fire Rod equipped for the majority of A Link Between Worlds' Dark Palace, since the poor lighting and stuffs. Also, the fact that Dark Palace was actually dark... just blew my nose.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Hahaha, that was my first instinct, too! But later on in the dungeon I started using bombs. I think you have to at one point or another, don't you? The Fire Rod doesn't work if the window is over a pit, because the fire is affected by gravity.

I never used the regular Fire Rod since I bought it for the sole purpose of upgrading it, but I'm not so sure the first, non-upgraded version would work in this case, which might be why the walkthrough suggests bombs.

Gomp

Love, loving life!
Boards over windows (e.g. at the beginning of the Dark Palace) -- everything I have read so far has suggested using bombs to remove them (including the Zelda Dungeon walkthrough). However, what seemed intuitive to me when I first encountered them was to try to burn them away, so I used the Fire Rod, and it worked.

So, just FYI that there is this other way to remove them that is probably a little less hassle than throwing a bomb.

Hehe.. I never once used bombs either. The thought never crossed my mind. Burning it seemed the only logical way, and it worked. So I just stuck with that..

Also I used the ice rod often to activate switches. That I later in the same dungeon could access via the wall and the like..

I REALLY loved this aspect of the game. That one puzzle did not always only got the one solution. But rather have several ways that it could be "beaten" .. :D

We were supposed to use bombs? ...What? Instinct just told me to use the Fire Rod because... well, um... fire. Bombs make fiery explosions, sure, but using them didn't even cross my mind. It's kind of like burning away the curtains in the Earth Temple from The Wind Waker with fire arrows. Something just, like, internally told me that I was supposed to burn them... I just didn't give it much thought. Besides, I had the Fire Rod equipped for the majority of A Link Between Worlds' Dark Palace, since the poor lighting and stuffs. Also, the fact that Dark Palace was actually dark... just blew my nose.

***POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILER***

Not to spoil anything. But on the poor light thing, I just got to say there is a way to get better light, that does not include the normal lamp, nor the normal or upgraded fire rod! ;)

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
What boards over windows? I haven't a clue what you guys are talking about and I've beaten the game.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
What boards over windows? I haven't a clue what you guys are talking about and I've beaten the game.

In the Dark Palace there are certain covered windows like the one in the first room whose light you require to hit the one eye and open the door as well as the ones on the second floor in the large room adjacent to the hidden room with the Master Ore.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Standard Zelda Experience Operating Procedure (SZEOP™) dictates that when you encounter something blocking something else, do the following:

1) Push / Pull
2) Try to blow that **** up
3) Use every item in your inventory
4) Step on the switch / go through the open door that's been in plain sight for the past 45 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom