• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds SPOILER: Where Did Ravio Get His Items?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Oh, Ravio, Ravio, Ravio, you greedy little salesman and house-squatter, how I love you. You dress in a silly hat, have a cute little pet bird, and really appreciate the simple things in life. Your items also, saved my butt.

Through the game, I did wonder just where our little Salesman of Mystery acquired all of those mysterious, magical goodies to offer up for rent and sale. Some of the items are fairly common weapons, but some are quite magical, artifacts that no usual medieval weapons merchant could be expected to have on-hand.

I just finished the game and learned Ravio was once a servant of Hilda and looks like a black-haired, green-eyed Link. (Handsome devil). He is, or would have been, the Hero of Lorule if only he had not lacked the courage - but displayed a more sly kind of courage by seeking out the unknown and untested Hero of Hyrule.

So, where did dear little Ravio get all of his wonderful gadgets? I think he may, at one point, not just been a wannabe Hero or an untested Hero, but an actual Sacred Hero for Lorule and while he could not handle the current danger, he had another quest and all of the items that he rents/sells to you are the arefacts from his past journey. Think about whenever you finish a Zelda game and you have Link there with tons of items he probably doesn't need anymore since he's going to be living in peacetime and isn't going to be doing any more dungeon-crawling (until his next lifetime).

In my mind, Ravio is a post-quest Hero, who saved his world once, has all these leftover items from the quest, but has to call in reinforcements on a quest too big for him. Or perhaps the crumbling of Lorule, itself, took the courage from his heart (though not as bad as all those people in the Thieves' Town who are so messed up in heart and head they're forming a monster-cult). A hero with crumpled courage renting the spoils of his last great quest out to a successor from another world...

... wow, I just kind of made myself sad there.

(The question now is... Do I fanfic?)

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'd wager that the items seen in this game, while strikingly similar to those in A Link to the Past, are in fact from Lorule.

First off, Ravio was in Hyrule for a short time when he "stumbled" upon Link's house. So Ravio would have to find all the items, which I'm betting aren't easy to find as previous titles have showed us. Even if that were achievable, Ravio mentions himself as a "coward" and I think he doubts himself somewhat. If Ravio doesn't have belief in himself then where could he summon the courage to take on such a task? Now there is the possibility that his pet bird, Sheerow, collected the items as it seems the bird can travel to almost any location in the game. However, that's just mere speculation.

I'm betting on these items originating from Lorule. Ravio--as a previous servant of sorts to the Royal Family--must have had some sort of significant role in the past; I mean he is Link's counterpart after all. I'd bet that these were his items from a past adventure. For some reason or another he wasn't a true hero and I'd I believe this is the result of there being no Triforce within Lorule.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I see a possible flaw in your "he was a hero" theory...remember this quote? "I'm not cut out for the hero life." That leads me to believe otherwise.

Maybe the common items(bow, hammer) were bought from random merchants, and the more exotic ones(sand/ice/fire/tornado rod) were treasures of the Lorule royal family, like the bow of light is for Hyrule, and he snuck them out when Hilda started her little plot and brought them to Hyrule. Another possibility is that he was a skilled enough craftsman to make some of them himself, a boomerang wouldn't be that hard to make for example, a hookshot would be slightly more difficult, but still possible.

I see a possible flaw in your "he was a hero" theory...remember this quote? "I'm not cut out for the hero life." That leads me to believe otherwise.

I'm glad you brought up that quote because the idea that he was some retired Hero or had just finally gotten to stressed out to be heroic anymore (or whatever) definitely rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm sure these items were just what was available in Lorule. Ravio strikes me as a bit of a hoarder, and definitely has some greed issues (don't go near his money bag). The fact that he has all these powerful items but still runs away from Lorule also pokes at his cowardice.

zenda

master of the sword
another reason could be that he was given the items by Hilda for her plan to take the triforce but ravio being a coward and not liking her plan he snuck off with them to try and find hyrule's hero and give it to him and he figured he could make some money at the same time

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
another reason could be that he was given the items by Hilda for her plan to take the triforce but ravio being a coward and not liking her plan he snuck off with them to try and find hyrule's hero and give it to him and he figured he could make some money at the same time
So...you think she gave him them and told him to go to Hyrule and attack people or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom