• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Help Should I Buy a WiiU?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I mean, with Zelda U coming out and Hyrule Warriors and all, I'd really like to be able to play all these games, but I don't know if it's really worth it. I don't want to purchase the system and have it collect dust because, as well all know, the games are disgustingly expensive. Then again, I don't wanna miss out on all the Zelda, Mario, Pokémon, etc games that might be coming out. I'd like to get feedback ASAP.

So... Discuss! :sweat:

(Edit: I felt this was better as a thread versus a blog, because others who are thinking of purchasing a Wii U may look to this for help).

Fig

The Altruist
If you are thinking of buying a Wii U, I believe now is the best time to get the system than back when the system was out or even in 2013 which was when I bought the WWHD bundle. I know you might be skeptical if it's worth it and I can guarantee you that it is especially with what's coming out for the Wii U later on this year. I think the reason why most people get skeptical about the Wii U is simply if there are games for the system. I know that you are interested in Hyrule Warriors and of course Zelda U, but you also don't have to worry about not having enough games to play as there are a bunch that are already out and soon to be released.

If you are going to buy the a Wii U bundle, I highly recommend getting the Mario Kart 8 bundle since if you register Mario Kart 8 to your Club Nintendo account by July 31st, you get a code for a free downloadable game such as New Super Mario Bros. U, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, and Wii Party U. Then we have games already released such as Super Mario 3D World, The Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and Sonic Lost World. Later on this year we get Bayonetta 2 packaged with the original Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, Sonic Boom, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, and of course Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. And there's going to be a lot of games for 2015 such as Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Maker, Mario Party 10, and of course The Legend of Zelda U.

While the price for the Wii U and the games are expensive, I can guarantee you that you will be having getting a lot of replay value from all of these games, which is one aspect that I always love when it comes to video games. Hopefully this may give you a better insight on what the Wii U has to offer.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I wouldn't buy one but that's me personally, so I'll leave my biased view at the front door.

I did buy one wayyy back in December 2012 (by release date) and honestly it was the worst £250-300 investment I ever made. I literally only played it a handful of times as it didn't really seem new or revolutionary, it had a lack of games, and it had quite a few hardware problems. Though I'd say that's slightly to be expected if you choose to purchase by the initial release date and I paid the price basically loosing £100 by in profit when I sold it.

Now though things are different. If we judge the system in terms of what's available now then it bests out the PS4 and Xbox One's lacklustre library. I can actually name 5 titles that, currently, I'd buy and enjoy throughly. Then of course you have the the future, Zelda U, Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros etc. Those titles alone warrant a purchase for any Nintendo fan.

I'll keep it simple, yes go for it. It's the cheapest option, has the best library currently, plus it's going to keep improving.

Clank

Hmm
I would wait because I think one of two things is going to happen,

A. The new games for the Wii U don't help and it there end up being a lot of Wii U consoles to be had for cheap on the used game market/Nintendo lowers the price of the Wii U. (Something like what happened with the Wii)

B. The games end up being a hit, the Wii U is in high demand and the price remains constant.

In either of these situations, you don't really lose by waiting unless there's a game right this moment that you want to play. If there's a game you want to play, then it's probably better to just get the Wii U now and have the extra months of enjoyment.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
im just gonna say that i personally am gonna wait until like the near end of it's life cycle where it's probably gonna be cheaper and way more games out for it
though i'll take another glance at it if zelda u interests me,the star fox comes out,and if there'll be another platformer mario game that ISN'T a sequel to 3d land [like an actual follow up to galaxy,sunshine,and 64]

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yes, absolutely. There are numerous games worth getting right now -- Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, The Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Sonic: Lost World, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, and Nano Assault Neo (eShop game) -- and there are even more coming up -- Bayonetta 2 (packaged with Bayonetta 1 FOR FREE), Hyrule Warriors, Sonic Boom, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Super Smash Bros. 4, Yoshi's Woolly World, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Star Fox Wii U, and Zelda Wii U.

I recommend getting the MK8 bundle if you can find it. You'll effectively get $30 off the game, and you'll also get one of four free downloadable game with it, including The Wind Waker HD. However, if you just want a cheap-as-possible package, bet a refurbished one from Nintendo. They're $200.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Well, I always intended to get a WiiU eventually, but the reason I got one now was:
1) I had the money
2) The bundle I bought was decently priced (my local electronics store was celebrating its birthday, so loads of stuff had a discount, including this)
3) It came with Mario Kart 8, which meant I would also get another game if I registered it within a certain amount of time

If this hadn't happened, I would have waited for a good while longer, however I did intend to eventually get it (as my only NextGen console choice).

Having the console now, I'm really happy with it. The gamepad is really cool, and you can use it to also control your TV, cable box, etc. plus play games on it while someone else watches something on the TV, which is pretty nice and handy if stuff conflics ;) You can import everything from your Wii onto your WiiU, which is another handy feature to have :) And it's rather nice to finally have a Nintendo console in HD :)

The games I agree are really expensive, so I'm hoping one of my local media stores is gonna do one of their 3 for 2 sales in games, because then I can get the other games I want for it at a more reasonable price. In the meantime I'll be playing Mario Kart 8 on it (and come August I'll get my free game download).

I definitely recommend getting the console eventually, but if you don't have any "must play" games for it right now, then I suggest you wait and see if the price will drop or if you'll get a more lucrative bundle with it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I mean, with Zelda U coming out and Hyrule Warriors and all, I'd really like to be able to play all these games, but I don't know if it's really worth it. I don't want to purchase the system and have it collect dust because, as well all know, the games are disgustingly expensive. Then again, I don't wanna miss out on all the Zelda, Mario, Pokémon, etc games that might be coming out. I'd like to get feedback ASAP.
Yes, absolutely. There are numerous games worth getting right now -- Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, The Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Sonic: Lost World, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, and Nano Assault Neo (eShop game) -- and there are even more coming up -- Bayonetta 2 (packaged with Bayonetta 1 FOR FREE), Hyrule Warriors, Sonic Boom, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Super Smash Bros. 4, Yoshi's Woolly World, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Star Fox Wii U, and Zelda Wii U.

I recommend getting the MK8 bundle if you can find it. You'll effectively get $30 off the game, and you'll also get one of four free downloadable game with it, including The Wind Waker HD. However, if you just want a cheap-as-possible package, get a refurbished one from Nintendo. They're $200.

Question answered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom