• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sheikah and Dwemer similarities.

Both obviously draw influence from the fabled Atlantis but here I would like to compare some of the similarities between the Elder Scrolls race and the Zelda race

both technology more advanced than the other races in their world

both hide technology underground

both disappear (the Sheikah do so to a greater extent in Ocarina of Time but it's also a theme in BOTW)

both leave behind their advanced technology

both elf like or outright elves

both have tortured another race underground (the Dwember having done this to the snow elves and the Sheikah having done this to the enemies of the royal
family in the shadow dungeon)

anyway. I just thought this would be a fun comparison to share with Zelda fans who might not be that familiar with the Elder Scrolls series

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The Sheikah only hid their technology underground because the King from 10,000 years ago made them hide it, I think it was implied he was afraid they might try to start a coup?

The Dwemer went underground because their projects required mining, so for them it was intentional and not forced.

The Dwemer also completely disappear
after trying to use the Heart of Lorkhan
whereas the Sheikah just go into hiding and seem to always show up again eventually.
I guess Yagrum Bagarn is the exception, since he is the last living dwemer in Tamriel during TES Morrowind. I don't think it is ever really explained why he survived, but certainly his survival doesn't matter in the long term because it isn't like he can reproduce.

Edit: Yeah I forget he was in another dimension when the Dwemer disappeared which was why he survived.

Skunk

Floof
We also know a lot more about the Dwemer, which creates a situation where we can ask more questions than there really seem to be available answers for. The Sheikah guard Hyrule's royal family, and it's somewhat unclear if there are ever very many of them. The Dwemer were continent-spanning, had different architectural and artistic styles, and weren't nearly as uniform in culture. While there are constants(antitheism, utilizing steam power to create magic through tones, etc.), they seem to be much more diverse than the Sheikah.

There's also the fact that their stances on religion make them fairly different. While we never really get to see much of Hyrule's organized religion, the royal family clearly plays a role in it, which implicates the Sheikah by extension. Not only is the royal family invested in the survival of goddess worship, they play an active role in it because of the recurring appearance of the Triforce of Wisdom within the family. Antitheism was such a constant across Dwemer clans that all of them disappeared when their arch-antigod was activated. The heart of the schism of Tamriel's major faiths, whether or not the world is good(or at least justified), is completely rejected at a wide scale by the Dwemer; whether or not the world is good, it doesn't really exist outside of the will of gods(who themselves are only subgradients of higher principles), and should be opposed. The Dwemer approach to the world was reclusive and hostile. While the Sheikah are reclusive, they aren't nearly as hostile.

Breath of the Wild Sheikah definitely have the whole ancient-society-lost-technology thing going on, but they don't really have it in any of their other appearances. They're(the BotW Sheikah, that is) similar to Dwemer in that regard, but not in any way that makes them more similar than they are to other similar societies in fiction(like Atlantis or FFXIV's Allag).

I didn't expect to get such good responses. Thank you. I could read responses like that all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom