• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sequels with impossible shoes to fill

A simple thread; which games have you played where no conceivable sequel could possibly improve over or repeat the magic of said game?

Which game do you truly believe could never be outdone by a sequel?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Twilight Princess - COULD in theory be outdone by a sequel but won't be. Not with Nintendo at the helm.

The Witcher 3 - This is my favourite game of all time and it had such a fantastic cast, soundtrack and and so much amazing story content that I find it hard to imagine they will be able to outdo it.

What about you @Spirit? Any games you think can't be outdone by a sequel?

@Deus thank you for asking good sir.

Metroid Prime- This is helped by the fact that Echoes, Corruption, Hunters and Federation Force all exist and havent come close. I dont think Prime 4 will either.

Nier Automata- i saw things in things in this game that i'd never seen before, i felt feels that i hadnt felt in years and the game is so meta-aware and bat-**** crazy that i dont think it could ever be truly replicated or improved upon.
Not even the creator thinks he could do it, instead he wants to stop making games and own his own restaurant.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
@Deus thank you for asking good sir.

Metroid Prime- This is helped by the fact that Echoes, Corruption, Hunters and Federation Force all exist and havent come close. I dont think Prime 4 will either.

Nier Automata- i saw things in things in this game that i'd never seen before, i felt feels that i hadnt felt in years and the game is so meta-aware and bat-**** crazy that i dont think it could ever be truly replicated or improved upon.
Not even the creator thinks he could do it, instead he wants to stop making games and own his own restaurant.

Haven't played those but I really must get a PS4 and see what all the fuss is about Nier. The more I hear the more I want to try.

funnier6

Courage~
I would say xenonlade chronicles but they already did and succeeded, though having said that I don't feel very good about xenoblade chronicles 2, but we'll see.

Most games that I would say already have sucky sequels so idk.

I have 2 games.

-Kid Icarus Uprising. This game is simply amazing. From the story, characters, music, even the gameplay is really good once you get used to the controls. But what really makes it hard to surpass it's the voice acting. It's one of the best that I've ever heard. Hopefully we get a continuation on the switch.

-Kingdom Hearts II. None of the games that came after it were able to have the same satisfying combat system. It's so good. And I still have hope that KH3 is at least able to replicate the same feeling.

Which game do you truly believe could never be outdone by a sequel?
1. Goldeneye N64 - None of the later James Bond games came even close to being as good as Goldeneye.

2. Master of Orion 2 PC - Totally amazing game. In my opinion, the best 4X game ever. The 3rd and 4th games in the series are very diappointing. No.3 wasa train wreck. No.4 was alright but nowhere near as good as the 2nd game. I still recommend the 1996 game to everyone. It still stands up to modern 4X games in many ways.

3. Metroid Prime GC - Echoes and Corruption were very good but the first game was really the shining light of the series. Just so good. I seriously don't think the 4th game will be as good, but we shall wait and see.

4. The Secret of Monkey Island 2:Le Chuck's Revenge PC - Controversial choice, but I really think the 2nd game is the best in the series so far. The other 3 original games were good as is the new Telltale game in 5 parts. But they don't have the humour and polish of the 2nd game.

5. Sim City 4 PC - The best Sim City game. Sim City was good for it's day. 2000 was very good for it's day. 3000 was a let down. The recent EA Sim City game was a train wreck. I don't see another good Sim City game coming anytime soon.

Haven't played those but I really must get a PS4 and see what all the fuss is about Nier. The more I hear the more I want to try.
Look around for the deals. And see if you can trade in the ****ty bundled in games to get the console itself cheaper. You should be able to get the PS4 on it's own (Slim 500G:cool: for $250US-$300US. Shop around and look out for sales. That's what I did and waited till a good deal came around and ended up paying $282 Australian for the console (white 500GB slim) with one DS4 controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dio

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
fire emblem blazing sword
still my favorite fire emblem and frankly among my 5 favorite rpgs ever...hell probably even top 3,though it might be that i see it in such a high regard b/c i played it at the right time;anyways i've played most of the subsequent fire emblems since then,but i never really felt as attached to them as i was w/ blazing sword,they were great games for sure and hell probably even better in some regards,they just didn't impact me as much as this one did

rayman 3
obvious problem here is that ubisoft has yet to make a true sequel to what's probably my favorite 3d platformer,so until we actually get a rayman 4 [if ever],i can't see any other rayman installment topping 3

sonic generations
im not sure how well this would hold up w/ forces coming along the way,but if that game bombs for whatever reason then sonic generations will be as good as it will ever get,i can guarantee that

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom