• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sega

What is your opinion on Sega? It can be about anything that Sega has made, whether it be games or consoles.

For me, I love almost every Sega console as much as I love Nintendo consoles. Same goes for the games. My favorite Sega console is a tie between the Dreamcast and Genesis. Both have plenty of great games. For the Genesis, there's the Sonic games, the Shining games, Comix Zone, Altered Beast, Golden Axe series, and one of my personal favorites, Strider. As for Dreamcast, I love playing the Sonic Adventure games, Jet Grind Radio, Chu Chu Rocket, Crazy Taxi, and especially Skies of Arcadia.

For some reason, I just can't get enough of playing Sega consoles and games. So in other words, Sega is awesome.

W

weimaj

Sega created the first RPG so we can thank them for Final Fantasy, I suppose.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I don't know, I want to like Sega but they just....suck. The Genesis was awesome and they had some great games but what else can you say about them? Sonic was at his prime back in the Genesis era and then they had Streets of Rage which is a series I can never forget but it did seem like a rip off of Capcom's Final Fight (I'd take Streets over Final Fight any day). They lack originality and haven't really done anything amazing after the Genesis era. The Dreamcast was a failure for a reason. What did they have? Three good games and a bunch of junk. And ever since they stopped with consoles they just make lackluster games. Sonic is coming back after years of struggling but even then, he can still be greater. Bayonetta was a great game that was underrated but it was still a rip off of yet again Capcom's Devil May Cry. Where's the originality? The Marvel games they keep making these days are just very lacking and even terrible. Then there was Vanquish which looks like a decent game with amazing gameplay and a great amount of difficulty but it still lacks in some areas. Great game overall but it could of been better. Sega just seems like the type of company that will never reach it's full potential.

The only reason that the Dreamcast failed is because they didn't put a DVD player in it. If it could play DVDs, then It could have possibly stood a chance against the PS2.
Oh yeah, and weimaj, Squaresoft created Final Fantasy, not Sega.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
The only reason that the Dreamcast failed is because they didn't put a DVD player in it. If it could play DVDs, then It could have possibly stood a chance against the PS2.
Oh yeah, and weimaj, Squaresoft created Final Fantasy, not Sega.

Wasn't the PS2 a gen after the Dreamcast? I'm positive the Dreamcast didn't fail because of that. The N64 didn't even have DVD and it was really successful. Pfft, all of Nintendo's consoles don't have that and they all look pretty damn successful. And it's a smart move too. I want to buy a console to play games, not to pay extra so I could watch movies too.

As far as I know, Turo, the Dreamcast, Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube were all in the same generation. The reason the Dreamcast failed was because Sega tried to get a head start on Sony by releasing the Dreamcast before the PS2. They also made that same mistake with the Saturn in the mid 90s. Also, the Dreamcast was very successful in its first year or so. It sold really well until Sony announced the PS2.

Sega rose to stardom on the backs of franchises like Sonic and Alex Kidd and began its painful descent with the Saturn. The lack of a DVD player and discontinued support from EA marked the end of the Dreamcast era and thus the end of Sega's role in the hardware business.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the EA thing. That's another reason why the Dreamcast failed. Even though they almost handled the sports games by themselves with the Sega Sports series.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
As far as I know, Turo, the Dreamcast, Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube were all in the same generation. The reason the Dreamcast failed was because Sega tried to get a head start on Sony by releasing the Dreamcast before the PS2. They also made that same mistake with the Saturn in the mid 90s. Also, the Dreamcast was very successful in its first year or so. It sold really well until Sony announced the PS2.

The Dreamcast released in 1998. The only systems out at that time were the N64 and the Playstation. It was then discontinued in early 2001. I think the Playstation 2 was already out. The other 2 consoles weren't even out. The PS2 was it's only "competition". The Dreamcast couldn't even last long enough to be part of the new gen. It was Sega yet again, being cheap and setting themselves up for failure right from the start. You knew they were done as soon as you saw a Sonic game on the Nintendo Gamecube. It was barely a competitor. So yeah, I doubt that a DVD player had anything to do with it's a failure.

Last edited:
Well I never really liked Sega itself,I've tried some games on the Genesis and they were not really enjoyable(Exept for Ristar and Phantasy Star online,those games are awesome) exept Sonic the Hedgehog.This is THE MASTERPIECE from Sega,I'm sure Sonic is the only reason why Sega is still alive today,I'm so glad that Sega stopped making consoles otherwise I dont think I'd ever play a Sonic game,I receive Sonic Mega collection for the Gamecube as a Xmas gift about 6 years ago and I didn't even asked for it,I didn't knew who really was Sonic (aside that he was a blue hedgehog who run at the speed of sound,he could use spindash and I followed Sonic underground) It was my first Sonic game,than I saw Sonic adventure 2 from the movie gallery of sonic mega collection and decided to buy SA2B for the gamecube and than I became a Sonic fan,but that's all I have with Sega,I'm not interest to Super Monkey ball,Crazy taxi,alex kidd or any Sega title and I hope they dont decide to make a new console

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
If they hadn't been affiliates with Nintendo and Microsoft (and Sony?) then I'm afraid they wouldn't have lasted into the 2010s. The Sonic games for current consoles are fairly good, but are too linear. They need to bring out a plotline that's surrounded by mystery, as Zelda is, and make a gripping experience out of it. Else, they might now endure for much longer.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
If they hadn't been affiliates with Nintendo and Microsoft (and Sony?) then I'm afraid they wouldn't have lasted into the 2010s. The Sonic games for current consoles are fairly good, but are too linear. They need to bring out a plotline that's surrounded by mystery, as Zelda is, and make a gripping experience out of it. Else, they might now endure for much longer.

Whoa, now that doesn't sound good at all. Sonic is known for being linear but with multiple ways to pass the level. Sonic needs to stay away from being anything like Zelda. I'm all for the heavy plots as seen in some of his older games but not a mystery. What is he? Sherlock Holmes? Sonic has always been about speed and platforming and that's what he needs to be. Sega just hasn't fully realized that. What they need to do is get rid of the stupid gimmicks, take what's good from both the older and newer games and combine them. It seems like lately they're relying on old school Sonic too much. Sonic 4 goes back to Sonic's roots and Generations just completely takes Gensis Sonic and ups the graphics. What's next? I heard Sonic 4 Episode 2 is set to release next year. Evolve him already! Sure Unleashed was decent and Colors improved on that and now Generations is taking from that, but it's a lot of the same thing. It's gonna get old really fast. I still have my problems with the way he plays these days.

It just seems like you're blazing through a level with little to no skill with 2D platforming sections here and there. Oh look, enemies are just standing there so I can blast through them. Now they're just lined up so I could use the homing attack. How convienent. All I want from a Sonic game is clever platforming in full 3D like the Adventure games, heavy story like Adventure through Unleashed, one Sonic, more Knuckles and Shadow, Tails following you through the stage and even be important to gameplay, all gameplay mechanics like spin dash and homing attack, etc. No stupid multiple stories maybe just playable characters like they did with Knuckles in Sonic 2, just a standard traditional Sonic game. Sega even said that they want their next Sonic game to be more traditional with no stupid gimmicks like Werehogs and Swords. Maybe Sega can finally get it right this time. But then again, I've been saying this with every Sonic game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom