• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sea Zora/River Zora War

Firstly I'm sure most of you know but there may be some who don't but, River Zoras are Hostile cruel creatures featured in the original 4 games and in the Oracle series(I'm excluding FSS from this thread). and Sear Zoras are the hospitable friendly cratures usually only known as zoras features in Oot/MM, TP & OoA.

Now if we assume the Adult timeline goes like this: OoT/MM->TP->aLttP/OoX/LA->LOZ/AoL (if you disagree then please just pretent to for now i dont want this to be another timeline debate.) It's fairly apparent that the Hyrule was populated by Sea Zoras but later River Zoras took over.

In OoA the distinction between sea Zoras and River Zoras is highlighted if you took to a zora in Zora city. It's also interesting to note that Sea Zoras appear in Lybrna but Not in Hyrule at that time & that the sea zoras are found quite literally under the sea.

Therefore the question arises what happened to the Sea Zoras of Hyrule? Either river Zoras migrated from a different land and forced the Sea Zoras to extinction(either by War or even just consumation of resources), or the some Sea Zoras evolved into River Zoras and beign more aggressive took over.

If you play aLttP&OoT you will notice the similarities in Zora River, the both end at a waterfall they both eventually fill Lake Hylia the only difference is in OoT you find the friendly Zoras Domain. However in aLttP you only find the River Zora King.

So i ask what do you think happened?

Last edited:

Owner828

I'm not the muffin man!
I never thought of that.... Honestly I always thought River Zoras were just normal Zoras, but evil and working for Gannon. But with this theory I'm not sure...possibly your theory is correct. Or, another theory of mine is that River Zoras have been infected with some disease, which made them go insane or possibly just violent to anyone but their kind. Possibly they are just very, VERY territorial Zoras. Maybe games in the future will tell us more. Maybe not. Its like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop, the world may never know.

well.........this can help alot on timeline theories, thankyou for existing. There was said to be a war where everyone tried to get the tri-force, ever thought Zoras didn't want to die, and attacked because they think Link is one of thoughs who want it.

actually, you said you find Zora King in Alttp alone, theres evidence AlttP goes right after OoT adult timeline, thanks.

Last edited:

Ganondork

goo
It's been common knowledge about the fresh water Zoras being savage after Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask (I don't agree that it's on the Adult Timeline, but whatever) and Twilight Princess. What's possible is that the sea water from Labrynna (Oracle of Ages) mixed with the fresh water from Hyrule. The savage fresh water ones came in and made a home in Hyrule. All of this happened before A Link to the Past of course. Like the fresh water ones managed to find their way in, the Zoras of Hyrule were able to make a home in the seas of Labrynna. But it's obvious in Oracle of Ages that some river Zoras stay in Labrynna, perhaps they migrated due to overpopulation.

But of course, this raises the question: how did the Zoras of Hyrule adapt to sea water? Zora's domain is fresh water, therefore it's a tough change in environment from fresh to salt water. The savagery that occurred with the newly found fresh water Zoras forced the Zoras of Hyrule to leave. With the mixing of the waters in between Hyrule and Labrynna, they more than likely adapted slowly as they made their way over to Labrynna. With the rough currents in the area, Zoras probably spent days in one area, allowing them to grow used to this new form of water. It's also possible as they traveled, Zoras were born with the ability to survive in sea water. They retained their kind spirits and kept a peaceful society away from the fresh water Zoras.

I can't really imagine there being a war between the two; they live in two separate areas. The fresh water Zoras would not be accustomed to the salt water, and the salt water Zoras wouldn't be used to the fresh water. In fact, the salt water Zoras don't speak terribly of their savage counterparts; they simply warn Link of their savage ways.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
They're often called fresh/salt Zoras but I have to ask, is that ever with any official swing? Or it the very idea that they live in two types of water purely theoretical? Frankly I'd be happier calling them 'blue' and 'monster' and it eradicates the complexity that comes with whether or not they even need to adapt to two different types of water.

@Sasty: Yes in OoA they actually do distinguish as sea and river Zoras.

@Ganandork: I actually think both zoras can live both salt and fresh water. In OoT zora domain was fresh water but in MM it was sea water(unless its' just some Termernia thing and therefore not really evidence), and in LoZ you River Zoras Attack you from the sea as well when you on the coastline.

Clash

Super Melee Brawler
First, I think that the river zoras and sea zoras are different species.

Second, I think that is the child timeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom