• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ridley in Super Smash Bros?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
For the entirety of the Super Smash Bros. series, Samus has been the only playable character representative of the Metroid franchise. This wasn't unusual in the first entry on N64, but while other series gained playables throughout the SSB games, Samus remained alone. Her stripped form, Zero Suit Samus, came to appear via Final Smash transformation in Brawl, however.

This was originally going to be a Metroid characters thread like I've done in past for other series, but honestly, Ridley slaughters all others and is the only one with any conceivable chance or reason to appear as playable. So here it stands…

Ridley certainly is an interesting case considering his stats, the most notable being his size. This can easily be seen even inside the Super Smash Bros. games, such as the intro of Melee and as a boss in Brawl. *pictures below*
RidleyOpening.jpg

Ridley.jpg
Ridley's entrance in the series would be far from simply for the sake of it. After all, he means just as much to the Metroid series as Samus does. Ridley is one of few characters I support for a playable SSB4 appearance. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Samus_grasped_by_Ridley_Plasma_Beam_charge_Geothermal_Power_Plant_Pyrosphere_HD.jpg

I'd like to play as him and he really is the only other Metroid character worth a damn, but he is so big, he wouldnt be able to navigate the stages very or, on the flipside, may be able to better navigate them than the other characters. So it'd be woefully unbalanced, even more so than the SSB games already are.

Sure we CAN control bigger things now with the advent of Brawl giving us final Smashes which put us in control of Landmasters, GigaBowser and that Giant Game and Watch Octopus thing and based on them we know how much spade they take up and how much the dominate the screen when they appear, i just cant see Ridley working if they put him in.

Ridley used to be the same size as Samus more or less but he took steroids over the years and fast became a bigger bugger, perhaps if Sakurai hadn't made him so big in the past games he may have had a roster shot but then we wouldnt have had his great boss battles if he had been smaller...

I guess there is a way around it, but we'd have to take it with a large dose of Other M's abysmal story, we could have the not-Ridley from Other M in SSB4 i guess, it wasn't really Ridley since he came from Little Birdie in a pokemon style evolution phase, though i cant see SSB4 concerning itself with the reason why Ridley was suddenly smaller than in other games, SSB, while being a party game still does listen to its own mythology and it is building from one game to the next, so suddenly using Other M Ridley is probably something the game aint gonna do.

Another way is for the game to have a new class of character and stages for them, and add other big buggers to the roster too but i cant see splitting the roster like that being something they'd do either.

So... i don't see Ridely being playable any time soon, but it would indeed be nice. Lets just hope no one like Anthony Higgs or Adam Malkovich joins the party, i'd much rather Dark Samus, SA-X or one of those lame generic rival hunters from Hunters, hell probably MB herself may fit, but maybe Samus is destined to be alone.

Size shouldn't be a problem. They finally brought Mega Man in, so why not do something for the Metroid fans. I bet we're (Metroid Fans) all still stinging from the fact that Retro wasn't making a new Metroid.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Just no. That's all I have to say. Too big of a character and downsizing him wouldn't do him any justice. We already have characters like Charizard anyway.

Somehow I don't see this happening to be honest, I could be wrong but I'm not holding my breath. With Metroid Other M I'm sure some of the Human characters like Adam for example might make the cut, but Ridley? I think he worked best as a boss to be honest.

Why are you guys so against Ridley? Did you object when they wanted to put King Dedede in, Bowser just because he was a boss, what about Ganondorf did you say no then too? Even star fox has a villain/anti-hero, I think if any series deserves a boss character in the SSB lineup its Metroid. Better than Zelda getting another one.

Why are you guys so against Ridley? Did you object when they wanted to put King Dedede in, Bowser just because he was a boss, what about Ganondorf did you say no then too? Even star fox has a villain/anti-hero, I think if any series deserves a boss character in the SSB lineup its Metroid. Better than Zelda getting another one.

Bowser Was is included because he is the main antagonist of Super Mario. Ganondorf was included because he is the main antagonist of the Legend of Zelda. King Dedede was included because he is the Main Antagonist of Kirby. I think you can see the patten. As far as I'm aware, Ridley is not the main antagonist of Metroid, he is more of a reoccurring monster.

With the fighting style Ridley has, which is mainly flying around performing aerial attacks and has little melee attacks, Ridley is not really suited for the sort of fighting the other characters do, which is why he is better off as a Boss than a playable character. It's not that we hate him, it's just most of us don't think he is qualified to be a playable character. This would also explain why Andross is not a playable character, I think we can all agree Andross wouldn't fit into the Super Smash Bros Roster.

Bowser Was is included because he is the main antagonist of Super Mario. Ganondorf was included because he is the main antagonist of the Legend of Zelda. King Dedede was included because he is the Main Antagonist of Kirby. I think you can see the patten. As far as I'm aware, Ridley is not the main antagonist of Metroid, he is more of a reoccurring monster.

With the fighting style Ridley has, which is mainly flying around performing aerial attacks and has little melee attacks, Ridley is not really suited for the sort of fighting the other characters do, which is why he is better off as a Boss than a playable character. It's not that we hate him, it's just most of us don't think he is qualified to be a playable character. This would also explain why Andross is not a playable character, I think we can all agree Andross wouldn't fit into the Super Smash Bros Roster.

Okay then well if you think Ridley isn't the main antagonist or the clostest the series has to one then who is? Ridley has lots of stuff he could do, with standard attacks he could make great use of his wings and claws and with his specials he could have a swoop up like meta knight, fireballs, flame breath and another claw attack (Bowser has a special attack that uses his claws)

Okay then well if you think Ridley isn't the main antagonist or the clostest the series has to one then who is?

There is no definitive main antagonist to the Metroid Series really. Metroid's main antagonist was Mother Brain whereas Metroid II's Main Antagonist was the Queen Metroid. Each installment (minus remakes) have a different Antagonist. Ridley has always been an in-game boss in nearly all games but has never played the role of Main Antagonist. This is a fact.

Ridley has lots of stuff he could do, with standard attacks he could make great use of his wings and claws and with his specials he could have a swoop up like meta knight, fireballs, flame breath and another claw attack (Bowser has a special attack that uses his claws)

It's not that simple, you can't just give Ridley ground Melee moves like that, his moves would have to fit around his fighting style like all the other characters have gone through. Masahiro Sakurai even thinks that Ridley being a playable character is impossible.

Masahiro Sakurai said:
I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom