• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Retro Could Collaborate on Zelda" Says Miyamoto

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
"People often say that videogames made by Western developers are somehow different in terms of taste for the players, in comparison with Japanese games," he said. "I think that means that the Western developers and Japanese developers, they are good at different fields. And that resulted in a different taste in [their games]. Mario Kart, I believe, was good in order to express that kind of different taste because we have many kinds of different courses for the Mario karts to run and race around."

They truly are different, from their feel to everything else. I personally wouldn't agree with a Western company helping out with Zelda, unless it's help through difficulty. Other than that, leave everything else to Nintendo. Yes, I'm afraid of new overhauls and new companies that I know nearly nothing about working on a beloved franchise.

Yes, Retro collaborated with Mario Kart, not to mention Capcom, a THIRD PARTY company, collaborated on some Zelda games. Retro Studios has shown that they can make good games with franchises from Japan, those being Metroid (the Prime games, save for Hunters) and Donkey Kong with Donkey Kong Country Returns.
I could see them designing some new characters or working on new environments.

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
They truly are different, from their feel to everything else. I personally wouldn't agree with a Western company helping out with Zelda, unless it's help through difficulty. Other than that, leave everything else to Nintendo. Yes, I'm afraid of new overhauls and new companies that I know nearly nothing about working on a beloved franchise.

You do realize that this is the same company who made Donkey Kong Country Returns and the Metroid Prime series?

L

leavy101

I would rather see Retro go back to making Metroid games, but they have said they wan't to make another DK game so i don't know if a Retro Zelda game would happen. If it did i wouldn't mind. i could definitely see some advantages. I could see them doing a better job at making a darker scarier game (in the vein of Metroid: Prime) then Nintendo could. My only slight concern would be with the motion controls. the Wii has been an extremely difficult system for third party developers; very few have utilized the motion controls well. As long as Nintendo EAD handles that part i don't think it would be to much of a problem.

I would welcome a new developer taking a shot at Zelda, especially if it's Retro Studios, who is a proven developer. It would also be a breath of fresh air for the series, I would love to see a new take on Zelda

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
I'm pretty sure Nintendo had some help with Skyward Sword from Monolith Software. I'm sure Retro could do great.

Though Miyamoto says the gameplay is mostly still EAD, Retro would just do designing characters and such.

I am rather torn on this subject. I have not played any of the Metroid prime games, but I have seen them played/trailers and the like and they look GOOD. I thought The Oox series, and Minish Cap were wonderful. It seems to me that if they tried again with Retro it should be a success. But I'm afraid of these third party companies getting too ambitious and ruining a series. So I feel it should be best for Nintendo to keep it as it is. I like the idea in theory but on a console level game, I'd be worried for bad results.

I am rather torn on this subject. I have not played any of the Metroid prime games, but I have seen them played/trailers and the like and they look GOOD. I thought The Oox series, and Minish Cap were wonderful. It seems to me that if they tried again with Retro it should be a success. But I'm afraid of these third party companies getting too ambitious and ruining a series. So I feel it should be best for Nintendo to keep it as it is. I like the idea in theory but on a console level game, I'd be worried for bad results.
Retro is a first party developer for Nintendo.

As Kid Buu pointed out, Retro is an established developer who have proven themselves at being skilled at reviving and working within established Japanese series. Retro is absolutely one of the companies I would trust with making a Zelda game. You also have to realize that OoX and TMC were made by Capcom, so Zelda already isn't a stranger to outside companies stepping in.

With regards to the whole cultural divide between Western and Eastern games, yeah, it exists, but no, it's not absolute. Retro Studios is probably one of the best examples of a US developer who actually is perfectly capable of emulating the Japanese style, which they proved with Donkey Kong Country Returns, as well as the Western style. And I don't believe this is limited to Retro either, although they are obviously the prime example (no pun intended).

I don't particularly have any desire for Retro or any other developer to work on Zelda, but I don't see harm in it either. If anything it could bring in the right amount of new ideas, or rather new perspective on old ideas, which I think is something the Zelda series needs (and that was one of the cool things about Skyward Sword).

I would rather see Retro go back to making Metroid games, but they have said they wan't to make another DK game so i don't know if a Retro Zelda game would happen.
They've actually made statements about doing another Donkey Kong? That's awesome. Returns was my favorite game of the DKC series, and probably my favorite game last year. I actually would like Retro to move on soon and work on a new series, because I think they're awesome at reviving things. Star Fox and F-Zero, for example, could really use a revival.

No, I'm not talking about a collaboration, just some help.
Can you source that, though? Regardless of how much or little involvement they may have had in Skyward Sword, I'm pretty sure A_LINK_IN_TIME is mainly just skeptical they had any involvement at all. I'd be surprised myself, to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom