• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Remixed Vs. Original Music

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
IMO I don't really like it when an eight-bit song I really like is orchestrated, or altered in any way. No matter how a song is remixed I usually prefer the version I've heard first.

Zarom

The King
Yeah. Me too. I prefer original songs rather than remixed ones. Altought they are some really good remixes sometimes, they rarely surpass the original one. :)

Len

Zelda On Paper
first of all remakes are sometimes pretty awesome, when some don't make our expectations go up, since not all remixes are cool, there will allways be a bad one that we will not like from, i really used to stick more to original music themes than remakes
for example, mario and luigi PIT, final boss remake was and still is awesome, i loved the orchestral remake for the theme, they did a really good work, so in some cases i like and sometimes not.

Last edited:

Hanyou

didn't build that
It's hard. When it comes to video game music (which I assume is your main subject here), there are some remixes I think can be better.

For example, I love the FF IV soundtrack, and I have no interest in playing the DS version (I stick with the GBA version, because I like the sprites but don't mind some advances in other areas). That said, what I've heard of the DS version of the FF IV soundtrack is superior to the original. For example, here's the battle music from the original compared to the battle music from the DS remake:

Original: [link]
Remake: [link]

I know a lot of people prefer the original, but I actually think the remake has a more distinct, subtler sound and I like it more. The Shenmue theme also got orchestrated and changed for an album, and I prefer the orchestrated version:

Orchestrated: [link]

Yes, a lot of changes were made, but it's still a remix of sorts, and here, I think it's evident the orchestrated version comes out on top. Even if they were playing exactly the same melody, the theme deserves full instrumentation. These are both examples, in my opinion, that remixes can be good. I would even go so far as to say several Zelda Reorchestrated mixes sound better than the originals (I love their version of the Ocarina of Time soundtrack)--not because they abandon the originals, but because they pay the proper respect to them and make them sound better. This is how the best remixes function, even when they are changed as radically as the second Shenmue theme was.

There are times when remixes aren't as good, as is the case, for example, with the Mario theme. I love the 8-bit version, but the 16-bit version of the theme, on Super Mario All-Stars, totally changes the sound and is a bit watered-down as a result.

--------------------

As it applies to everything else, I almost always prefer the original, but that doesn't make covers of songs, for example, unlistenable. One prime example is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra--they take classic Christmas songs and remix them into headbanging, almost-heavy-metal instrumentals that are brimming with spirit. Sometimes, I prefer them to "normal" performances; usually, I'll still take the quieter ones. That doesn't prevent me from regularly jamming to the TSO year-round.

Finally, when it comes to other types of covers, again, I usually prefer the originals. I've heard some horrid covers. Cradle of Filth massacred "Hallowed be thy Name" by Iron Maiden; the original was powerful, heavy, and perfect in nearly every way; CoF's version included the trademark screechy vocals (which I can't tolerate) and very different guitar-playing that diminished the meaning of the song. Same for Killswitch Engage's cover of "Holy Diver" by Dio (though that song had no meaning to speak of).

But then, consider The Byrds' cover of "Mr. Tambourine Man" by the genius poet known as Bob Dylan. I love Dylan's music, and his version is great. But The Byrds' seems to capture the personality and playfulness of the lyrics even better than the original, in spite of being way too short, and I love it.

The Byrds: [link]

--------------------

So again, we come to the conclusion that it's hard to make a steadfast rule. I think it's safe to say that generally, game remixes improve as the technology improves, so long as the spirit of the original mix is preserved; and generally, covers are not as good as the original versions, but can still be wonderful supplements to the original or commonly accepted versions of songs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom