• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Religion in the Zelda Series

I'm currently taking a comparative religions course in college and am needing to write a paper (project-thing as my teacher puts it).

Having just finished a unit on Zoroastrianism, I've pulled what I think are very interesting parallels between it (a religion that was a strong cultural force in the Iranian Peninsula prior to Islam) and the Gerudo Tribe. I also know that there are a lot of Shinto, Christian, Buddhist parallels through out the entire series.

However, I unfortunately do not have a lot of time to do the full amount of research I would like to do. I was hoping you guys could tell me some other things I should look at in the series, as well as help me find more reasons behind the change from Christianity to Trisim from AoL to ALttP.

Also, great way for us to have a good discussion right?

I will be sharing the final product with you guys for your help!!

The Cross has appeared in several early Zelda titles, primarily in The Legend of Zelda and in Adventure of Link. Although the Triforce had debuted in The Legend of Zelda, it did not initially appear as a religous icon in the Zelda series until A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. It would seem to suggest that Christianity was initially supposed to be the intended religion in the Zelda series (however it should also be noted that Christianity is viewed as a symbolism in Japan, and not as a religion). This is proven by two items. The first item is primarily the Book of Magic, which was originally called the Bible (バイブル) in Japanese releases, but its name was changed in American releases as it violated Nintendo of America's, at the time, strict guidelines of mentioning religous content in their products. Despite this, the Cross can still be seen imprinted on the Magic Book's in-game cover sprite and in its official artwork. The second item is an actual Cross in Adventure of Link, which is used to make flying Moas appear visible. The Cross has also appeared engraved on the head of tombstones, and on small shields and Magical Shields in both titles.

Although The Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link were the only Zelda games that featured the Cross within them, the Christian Cross had also made an appearance in an official artwork of A Link in the Past, depicting Link kneeling in front of the crucifix, a Cross with the representation of Jesus' body, in prayer. Although how 'official' this artwork is, is debatable as it only appeared in two Japanese A Link to the Past guide books. It is thought that this is one of the more stronger references to Christianity in the Zelda series and also seems to suggest that Link may have been portrayed as a Christian, even though Christianity in Japan as viewed more as a symbolism. However this depiction was only in the form of official artwork in two guides, and there is no Christian references within the actual game. However it is also believed by some that the sanctuary also strongly resembles a church, and also when Link prays infront of an ancient stone tablet he makes cross sign on his chest with his finger before praying, what most christians do before praying. It should also be noted that although the Triforce had appeared in the form of a religious icon starting in A Link to the Past, the religion of the Golden Goddesses was not yet established until Ocarina of Time.

In all of these cases, these were the sole appearances of the Cross and Christian references in the Zelda series.

Taken from zeldawiki.org

LinkPraying.png

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Christianity was supposed to be the dominant religion in Hyrule at the time, as TLOZ was supposed to take place in medieval times. Most Christian content was removed because of the reasons mentioned above, and because most Christians in America didn't want the Bible to be seen as a book of spells, as well as coupled with stuff that could potentially ruin its reputation.

Thanks guys! I had totally forgotten about the Spell Book being called Bible in Japan.

Do you know of any other religious parallels that appear in the series?

AustinFox33

The Last Kilgannon
In the Spirit Temple in Ocarina of Time there are large statues the resemble several Hindu religous figures. Also the "true" religion in Hyrule is the three godesses as they created Hyrule, the Triforce, and the sacred realm to guard it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom