• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rechargeable Batteries for Wiimote

Status
Not open for further replies.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Okay, this doesn't deal with a specific game, but I assumed this was the best place to put this thread because it's a quick question that can be closed once I have an answer. If I assumed wrong, sorry mods. :(

I've been using regular batteries for my Wiimote. The length of time they last is actually tolerable if I've got the sound turned down, but I'm ready to go with some rechargeables. Does anyone have a brand or device they recommend?

I noticed this recharge station on Amazon.com...I think I caught that it doesn't work with the wiimote jacket, though, and when I get Skyward Sword I'll also have the Wii motion plus attached. Honestly, I'm so used to just tossing my remote on the sofa when I'm done I'm not sure how I'd do with taking things off/putting them back each time I play, but it still may be the best option. Anyone have any experience with it (or something else you prefer)?

Thanks in advance.

No. I do not recommend Nyko for a recharge station. I've used it before and it broke after maybe two days after buying it. I'd recommend the recharge station made by Tosa. It attaches to the bottom of the Wii and has inserts for your Wii remotes, so you just put them in there when you're done playing.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Nintendo doesn't make a recharge station, and there's a warning on the official controllers, that they're only designed to be used with alkaline batteries. In other words, you may experience degraded performance if you use a rechargeable battery pack.

You can buy off-brand batteries at any store, and as long as they're alkaline, they should be of the same quality as any other battery. I also recommend buying them in bulk, possibly from a discount store of some kind.

The only other alternative I could suggest, is getting a third-party remote like a Wand+ or something, and using THAT with a rechargable battery station, because it was designed for that. Nintendo's official remotes were not designed to be used with a rechargeable battery. And as expensive as they are, I wouldn't want to risk it with them.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of rechargeable batteries, anyway. They've NEVER worked well for me, especially on devices that weren't designed for them. I always notice slightly degraded performance on official Wii remotes that use them, and often on other devices as well.

On top of that, I think you'll have to recharge the remotes more frequently than you would have to replace the batteries. It could be a problem during long play sessions.

Then again, everyone I know who uses them uses the Nyko... and from what PA says, that might be a bad brand. Maybe I'm wrong.

A good one to try would probably be this one. It allows you to recharge your Wii Remotes using the original battery cover and with or without the MotionPlus or jacket. I would definitely recommend it as there are no connectors (which don't work for me half of the time) on the battery. You can just lay it on the charger to charge it, probably making it the most convenient charge system out there.

Oh and I don't work for Energizer. XD

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Nintendo doesn't make a recharge station, and there's a warning on the official controllers, that they're only designed to be used with alkaline batteries. In other words, you may experience degraded performance if you use a rechargeable battery pack.

Huh. I've been using rechargables for the whole three years that I've had my Wii and I've never really noticed any degraded performance.

athenian200 said:
On top of that, I think you'll have to recharge the remotes more frequently than you would have to replace the batteries. It could be a problem during long play sessions.

Actually, I speak from experience when I say rechargables work better than non rechargables. With the non rechargables that I used for the first few weeks of having my Wii, I was constantly replacing them (almost every day). Then I got some rechargables (Kodak brand), and they lasted a very long time. Heck, I still use my original rechargables and they still last at least a week or so.

athenian said:
Then again, everyone I know who uses them uses the Nyko... and from what PA says, that might be a bad brand. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, that's probably the case.

Anyways, I haven't used a charging station for the Wii Motes, but I just use plain ol' rechargable batteries: if you decide to go that route with plain ol' rechargable batteries, I recommend that you use Kodaks: they work great for me, and I suggest always having at least one more pair of batteries than Wii remotes so you can switch pretty quick without having to wait for a long time to play again.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Anyways, I haven't used a charging station for the Wii Motes, but I just use plain ol' rechargable batteries: if you decide to go that route with plain ol' rechargable batteries, I recommend that you use Kodaks: they work great for me, and I suggest always having at least one more pair of batteries than Wii remotes so you can switch pretty quick without having to wait for a long time to play again.

Actually, that doesn't sound so bad. I've only had experience with those rechargeable packs, and they never work well. I've never tried the rechargeable AAs, those may be more reliable, and provide power in a manner that's more similar to how regular AAs provide it. If you're going to get something like that, I'd recommend doing what MK9 does... it sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

The only thing that's odd to me, though, is that for some reason... regular AA batteries usually last me about a week or two, even if I play for 3-5 hours a day. I had no idea other people were replacing them daily.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
As far as I know, there is already a recharge station for Wii Remotes. I remember seeing it at several stores.
It comes with the rechargeable batteries, incased in a Wii Remote Battery Cover. You replace the existing one with this one.

IT seems like a pretty handy piece of equipment. I always run out of batteries. It's a pain having to go out and buy new ones every so often. :(

A

AbbySciuto

I would NEVER buy a dedicated charging station made for Wiimotes. I'd just buy rechargeable AAs and be able to use them elsewhere.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I myself have a recharge station for my Wiimotes and it's worked quite well for the time I've had it which is about at least a year now. It's an Energizer brand charger that came with a charging stand, two pairs of rechargeable batteries, and two backs to replace with the Wiimote's original back in order to allow it to charge. I can't remember how much the price was for it, but from what I've read, it's more than the Nyko recharge station's price.

I've also read that both the Energizer's (brand that I have) and the Nyko's charging station are pretty much the same in quality, but one would think that since Energizer makes batteries that it more than likely would have a better type of charging station in terms of recharge-ability.

Last edited:

February Eve

ZD District Attorney

Huh! I just automatically assumed either would work, so I never thought to check that. Good to know. And alkaline batteries do work well enough for me - I probably only have to change them once a month - but it still feels a little wasteful to me.

Thanks for all your responses, everyone. I appreciate the mix of answers, it really helped me. I think I'll go with regular rechargable batteries for now but I may look for an energizer charge station in the future. Or if it doesn't work out, go back to alkaline batteries as is apparently recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom