• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Realistic Fights

jack546

The chosen one
would you like realistic fights e.g. if you get hit in the shoulder it takes a while to heal? or you can move slower if you are cut in the leg and it has to be healed at a town for a small cost or what about special conditions like poison or burning sort of like in pokemon?

Hawk the Warior

Knight of The Twilight
That would be cool, and I would look forward to that in a game, but I don't think nintendo would do it, as tons of fans wouldn't like it. Still, that would be super fun, and add realism to the game.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I remember long ago, a discusson on here about an "injury sidequest." I wrote up a scenario that I thought would be pretty cool. It's way back in the archive, may have even been taken out when the board had trollery and got erased. It was before Skyward Sword was even announced, just a speculation of "what could happen in a future Zelda game."

The scenario I and other folks in the thread came up with was: Link defeats a boss, but in its death-throes (a small cutscene), the beast lands a posion or magical sting into Link. Whatever Partner/Exposition Fairy he has for the game (or perhaps just game-narration if he's partner-less this time) tells you "You have been poisoned! See the Professor/Doctor/Shaman quick!" Then, it's a race to get to a doctor-type character you've met earlier in the game. Then, it becomes a bit like Midna's Desperate Hour in TP except that there *is* an *actual* time-limit between the poisoning and Game Over. Throughout the ordeal, Link starts to slow down and stagger increasingly as the clock runs down, plus the scenery will start fuzzing-out, shifting from fuzzy to clear. If you go to first-person view, the world will fuzz. Once you get to the doctor, you get another cut scene where it blacks out, then Link wakes up in a bed with the doc telling him "Almost lost you!" After this, Link is given the Heart Container he would normally get from a boss as a healthy-gift from the concerned doctor.

Necessary rules added to the scenario to make it work:

Bottle items do not work. That means no fairies, no potions, no milk, no soup or any other healing items for the duration of this drama-scene. They're "X-ed out," faded, like items you cannot use underwater when you are underwater.

If you Game Over, you're sent back to when you defeated the boss. You don't have to defeat the boss again. This is like most timed-events in Zelda, you're sent back to when the clock starts, you don't have to do anything leading up to it over again.

The heart-meter/life-meter does not matter. If you have 8 full hearts at the beginning of this, it's the same as if you have two full hearts. It's a time-event. However, at the end of it, if you don't make it to the doctor in time, your hearts will empty out dramatically when you die. Woosh! After that, you'll be sent back to the beginning of the poisoning with the customary three hearts to punish you for dying. Again, your hearts aren't going to empty out as you're running, they'll just "woosh-out" when you fail to meet the time limit.

Last edited:
I remember long ago, a discusson on here about an "injury sidequest." I wrote up a scenario that I thought would be pretty cool. It's way back in the archive, may have even been taken out when the board had trollery and got erased. It was before Skyward Sword was even announced, just a speculation of "what could happen in a future Zelda game."

The scenario I and other folks in the thread came up with was: Link defeats a boss, but in its death-throes (a small cutscene), the beast lands a posion or magical sting into Link. Whatever Partner/Exposition Fairy he has for the game (or perhaps just game-narration if he's partner-less this time) tells you "You have been poisoned! See the Professor/Doctor/Shaman quick!" Then, it's a race to get to a doctor-type character you've met earlier in the game. Then, it becomes a bit like Midna's Desperate Hour in TP except that there *is* an *actual* time-limit between the poisoning and Game Over. Throughout the ordeal, Link starts to slow down and stagger increasingly as the clock runs down, plus the scenery will start fuzzing-out, shifting from fuzzy to clear. If you go to first-person view, the world will fuzz. Once you get to the doctor, you get another cut scene where it blacks out, then Link wakes up in a bed with the doc telling him "Almost lost you!" After this, Link is given the Heart Container he would normally get from a boss as a healthy-gift from the concerned doctor.

Bottle items do not work. That means no fairies, no potions, no milk, no soup or any other healing items for the duration of this drama-scene. They're "X-ed out," faded, like items you cannot use underwater when you are underwater.

If you Game Over, you're sent back to when you defeated the boss. You don't have to defeat the boss again. This is like most timed-events in Zelda, you're sent back to when the clock starts, you don't have to do anything leading up to it over again.

The heart-meter/life-meter does not matter. If you have 8 full hearts at the beginning of this, it's the same as if you have two full hearts. It's a time-event. However, at the end of it, if you don't make it to the doctor in time, your hearts will empty out dramatically when you die. Woosh! After that, you'll be sent back to the beginning of the poisoning with the customary three hearts to punish you for dying. Again, your hearts aren't going to empty out as you're running, they'll just "woosh-out" when you fail to meet the time limit.

To be really honest I don't see this being much fun, I think I would kinda annoyed by Link staggering and stuff. But that's just me :)
Nice thinking though.

Thats a great idea! I like it, but it doesn't sound like Legend of Zelda. If it were in a different game i'd love it.

Stallord

Twilit Fossil
In theory, it seems cool, but in practice, I think it would be annoying. I hated the Biggoron's Sword quests in OoT, and this would be too much like it.

linksbro321

Awsome sauce!!!!!!!
It would be cool, and annoying. Also one time I thought it would be cool if Zelda had blood/you could slice people in half. (Is there any blood when you kill people already? TP?) But then I thought, well, that would suck because what would the rating be?

It would be cool, and annoying. Also one time I thought it would be cool if Zelda had blood/you could slice people in half. (Is there any blood when you kill people already? TP?) But then I thought, well, that would suck because what would the rating be?
I actually think there is blood in Ocarina of Time. It might only be the gold cartridge though.

I don't think I'd like that in a Zelda game - would just be too different for me. But it would be an interesting concept and I'd be interested in a game that did that.

And holy crap Shadsie - that sounds awesome.

Djinn

and Tonic
True getting hurt in the shoulder or leg and actually being damaged by it as a real world individual would probably raise the ESRB rating. Plus I cannot see how it would work with the heart system. Something a little simpler like Link breathing more heavily or leaning against nearby objects or walls when hearts are low could be easier. And would be less graphic but still convey that he is injured. I would not be a fan of Link moving slowly when hearts are low since being that close to death means the player needs to wake up and act fast to before dying. This would just make being slapped around by a harder boss so much more frustrating.

This actually looks like it would be both fun and frustrating at the same time. It would be nice to have some more story driven sequences like this added to the game. But time limit until death scenarios sometimes lead to controller throwing agony.

For video game mechanics I think the Final Fantasy method of poison works best. Life slowly counts down over a long period of time, say every 120 seconds or so, since the character is poisoned while life restoring items and spells restore less life than if the character was not poisoned at all. Other games have various diseases you catch from wild animals or undead zombies too. They typically work differently, one game had one that did not allow you to regain any life from life restoring items until the disease was removed.

arkvoodle

Diabolical

Amazing idea! Simply amazing! It would play out so well! It's like it came from the mind of miyamoto himself~ You have quite the imagination, Shadsie! Excellent idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom