• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art Real Ocarina of Time Mirror Shield

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Before I begin, I need to state that I did not create this shield by hand. I bought it from another website last May, and have been modifying it ever since.

http://www.twiggystreasures.com/zelda-mirror-shield.html

Now, as you can see it is not very accurate. It had more of a gold-color paint around the white parts, and the bolts aren't covered like they should be. Since then, I have covered the bolts on the red part, and completely spray painted the back red to match the in-game image more. Also, the little diamond that should be on the bottom is missing. I finally finished modifying mine, and the results turned out fantastic!

IMG_1555.jpgIMG_1556.jpgIMG_1557.jpgIMG_1559.jpg

I used silver mirriwrap for the mirror part, and it actually is pretty reflective and shiny. I also used spray glue and a silver, metallic painting marker. I decided to do the Gerudo symbol, despite the fact that the original shield had the star and moon. Even though the moon design is generally more popular with fans, it's still a religious symbol with Islam so I decided not to do it.

The shield is made out of two pieces of metal. It's life-sized, so it's much more than just a cosplay shield. The handle on the back can be used in your left or right hand, and the shield is lightweight as well. Overall, I am very pleased with the finished product.

Also...it actually reflects light a little too, indoors or outdoors. If sun switches were real, you could activate them. It shines a little circle and moves around if you move the shield. I wasn't expecting that...

Shields were not designed to be mirrors; it's been a real battle to build the mirror effect into one! :lol:

Last edited:

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
awesome, now you can kill twinrova! :D
I'd like to, but the mirror part is nothing more than wrapping paper, Koume's fire would burn though it like butter. At least the glue is strong and the marker is permanent, though. This is definitely one of the most realistic Mirror Shields ever made nonetheless though.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
That's was quite a "bright" idea...you really "reflect" on the Zelda community well.
Ok my puns sucks, but good job :P

Your puns are a little better than you think. I wouldn't even call them corny.

Thanks, it feels good to create unique things. It actually shines more light than I thought, quite a lot outside in particular. On top of it being on an almost flat metal surface, some people might've even thought it was real glass if I didn't mention that it's only wrapping paper. :P

Ice Sage

these are words
You lie! It looks to realistic to be fake. I demand you bring me to the portal to Hyrule! lol Nice job on making the reflective side, it looks really nice.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Is the reflective part aluminum foil? I mean, that would make the most sense, seeing as how aluminum foil has that reflective look and it's easy to mend/mold.

Either way, that is awesome man! :yes:

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Is the reflective part aluminum foil? I mean, that would make the most sense, seeing as how aluminum foil has that reflective look and it's easy to mend/mold.

Either way, that is awesome man! :yes:

It's not foil, it's silver mirror wrapping paper. I had to order a sheet from an art site. It gives the effect of a mirror very well. On the flat parts of the shield, you can't even tell that it's paper.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Well you can always just do what I did if you've got the cash to throw on it. :lol: If it was real glass it actually would be able to reflect beams such as lasers. :suspicious:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom