• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U Rating Opinion

what did you thinkk of WW?

• Amazing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good

• Boring

• Total voters
Rating: Awesome
Graphics: 9/10
Gameplay: 8/10
Music: 10/10
Story: 9/10
Overall: 9/10

---
The Wind Waker was a very good game and it easily falls as one of my favorites. For that, I will give it "awesome" as its rating without hesitation.

I actually really love the graphics of the Wind Waker. They're smooth and the colors are nice and vivid. The style easily helped the expressiveness of the characters. And, I have a cousin who is an avid Zelda fan, but refuses to play this one because he does not like the toon-shaded art style. I actually feel that it is somewhat needed for the game considering that you rely on the wind's direction when you're sailing--if the graphics were realistic, you would have more difficulty telling the direction of the wind without constantly pulling out the sea chart.

The gameplay was simple and easy to figure out. I personally always seem to have more ease when I'm playing on a handheld, but the Wind Waker wasn't that difficult. The controls were actually really similar to Ocarina of Time--though I hadn't played that yet when I first played the Wind Waker--but it's pretty easy to tell that Nintendo worked on getting new sword techniques in there such as the parry attack. They actually did a nice job finding ways to fit some additional sword skills in it and finding button combinations to match with them.

The soundtrack in the Wind Waker was downright outstanding. Many of the tunes were recycled from past titles, but they were cleaned up so much to perfection. The songs selected for each place and moment was done so perfectly--each captured the mood.

I'd say the overall plot of this game was pretty good as well. It took off of the end of Ocarina of Time from the world that Link left behind. Having this game do so, did rather confuse theorists whether or not the "Split Timeline" actually exists, but... moving on. The character development in the Wind Waker was a huge step forward compared to previous Zelda games. The reasons Link started his adventure isn't completely original, however... it kind of seems the same as how the Great Deku Tree was in danger in Ocarina of Time, and the same thing was used again in Twilight Princess with Ilia. But the actual story was thought out quite well and several moments touching.

Overall, I'd say this is a quite enjoyable game. There are the funny moments like when Link is sent flying into the Tower of the Gods and serious moments like obtaining the Master Sword... and everything in between. They all add together to make the game excellent.

Rating:Awesome (It is just awesome)
Graphics (Not that I care) 10/10 (I loved the cel shaded graphics)
Gameplay: 8.5/10 (Great gameplay, but the bosses were just a bit/very easy. Also, while I loved sailing, by the end, it could get a bit boring)
Music 10/10 : Probably my favourite Zelda soundtrack
Replay Value: High
Overall: 9.5/10

This game is probably my favourite overall. The soundtrack is amazing, the graphics (again, not that I care) are gorgeous, the story was fun, and I for one found the sailing to be quite fun and entertaining, except for right near the end. It got a tad boring then. It was fun, and I found the puzzles to be both
fun, challenging and easy at the same time. The controls are easy to use and it is just a great game and probably my favourite. Also can we do this for all Zelda games?

Majora's Cat

How about that
Rating: Good

There’s not really another word to describe the Wind Waker for me. The game is well-rounded and really proved skeptics wrong. Many questioned Nintendo’s decision to make their next Zelda game cel-shaded, but they quickly ate their words and took back everything they said. All the negativity regarding the visuals quickly ebbed and receded. The game looks fantastic and plays like a dream. The gameplay takes full advantage of the GameCube controller and provides the player with a vast, unexplored world to be discovered. However, the Wind Waker is definitely not a perfect game. The tediousness of the Triforce collection section of the game drags it down a bit, and the game is a cakewalk to say the least. While Dungeons are spaced far apart, they do have a noticeable lack of difficulty. It was the first GameCube Zelda and featured the most intriguing graphics of the series so far, becoming the most polarizing Zelda installment to date. That’s all I’m going to say before getting into the real review of the game.

Graphics: 9/10

As stated before, the Wind Waker has stunning graphics. Fans weren’t all too happy when they first caught a glimpse of Toon Link, but soon feel in love with him after playing the game. Yes, the game is aimed toward children, but perhaps that’s what is so charming about it. However, that did not hinder the gameplay or any other aspects of the game in any way. In fact, I believe that it enhanced it. I feel that the cel-shaded design of the game gave the Wind Waker’s developers more creative freedom in object and island design. The cel-shaded style is a step away from realism, and that certainly shows in the level design that Nintendo did with the Wind Waker. Creative liberties were taken that would otherwise by out-of-the-question in an ordinary Zelda game. Not even Twilight Princess was able to top the Wind Waker’s eccentric and bold landmarks. Locations such as the Forbidden Fortress, Tower of the Gods and Dragon Roost Island aren’t very realistic and venture more toward the realm of the impossible. On the other hand, the architecture of other buildings from other Zelda games aren’t nearly as daring as those from the Wind Waker, which is definitely a plus.

Gameplay: 9.5/10

The Wind Waker’s gameplay is what I would call nearly flawless. Almost every button on the GameCube controller was put to effective use, unlike the GameCube versions of Majora’s Mask and Ocarina of Time. The gameplay spoke volumes and the Wind Waker exceeded expectations, garnering a 94.53% on GameRankings. The only hindrance I could possibly find is the sailing mechanic, which could be a tad bit tedious at times. The game is very easy and straightforward, like Twilight Princess. Although the Great Sea is gargantuan and overwhelming at times, much of the space is just open sea and the King of Red Lions always marks your next destination on your map for you. Finding all the secrets that the Great Sea bears will take awhile, but it is loads of fun throughout. Treasures and items are scattered across the Great Sea, therefore making the 100% completion of the game extremely difficult (possibly even more so than Majora’s Mask). However, these items may not prove useful and don’t have the novelty value of masks that MM had.

The world is most comprised of a few main islands floating in the Great Sea, ranging from the peak of Death Mountain to a small windmill village where Link can restock on items. The seven main Dungeons are rather easy, but are still decently lengthy. With no perplexing puzzles to solve, the Wind Waker does lack some qualities that previous Zelda games had. However, the Wind Temple did provide somewhat of a challenge. Dungeons have great designs (with better architecture than Dungeons from MM), but really don’t up the difficulty. Bosses really shine in the spotlight, as boss battles are some of the more exhilarating moments in the Wind Waker. The bosses are of decent difficulty and take some figuring out, but aren’t particularly memorable (excluding Molgera, of course). However, the architecture and design of said Dungeons were executed wonderfully. Each Dungeon’s style is distinctive and the soundtrack for each Dungeon fits perfectly with the look, atmosphere and theme of the Dungeon. The Earth Temple is a great example of how the music blends marvelously with the theme of the Dungeon. The music in the Earth Temple is very unlike that ofthe rest of the game. Several eerie sounds (including ReDeads) are mixed with the strum of a banjo to create an otherworldly tune. This improved Dungeon design makes gameplay flow seamlessly so there’s less backtracking. Now, to hardcore Zelda fans this isn’t necessarily a positive thing, but it really dials down the frustration involved in completing the game.

As stated previously, the Great Sea holds several Treasure Charts and other maps to be found and collected. Some may lead to Heart Pieces, and some to Silver Rupees. These rewards rest within chests that have sunken to the bottom of the ocean. The grappling hook can be used to lift these treasures out of the water, increasing its usefulness (like it couldn’t possibly be more effective). The spots where treasure is buried are marked by glowing rings of light, which are easily identified in both the daytime and night. I found collecting treasure and upgrades to be one of the more addicting aspects of the game, and wasn’t absorbed as much by the actual Dungeons.

The Wind Waker not only sports an amazing soundtrack, but perhaps one of the best soundtracks in the Zelda franchise. When SilvaGunner’s YouTube account still existed, I would find myself constantly coming back to listen to such themes as Molgera’s Battle Theme, the Wind Temple, Tower of the Gods, etc. The music sounds nothing like one would expect from a game as visually unique like the Wind Waker, and not in a bad way at all. In fact, it’s just the opposite. While the game looks like a cartoon, the music shows no sign of this element. In my opinion, the only time the soundtrack has sounded cutesy is on Outset Island and on locations like the Pirate Ship, nowehere else (especially not in the Dungeons). Koji Kondo really proves his musical prowess with the Wind Waker, creating a fine-tuned score that uses a variety of instruments to construct a unique sound for each and every location. Additionally, the music really sounds fresher, cleaner and more innovative than that of Majora’s Mask and Ocarina of Time. By that I mean it sounded less computer-generated and more realistic, which is unquestionably a plus.

Replay Value: 9/10

The great thing about the Wind Waker is that none of the sidequests are required and will get in the way of the player enjoying the game over and over again. I never feel the need to complete all those pesky sidequests, since they’re spread out over such a large distance. In Ocarina of Time and other Zelda games, you’ll constantly run into sidequest characters that make you investigate deeper into his/her situation. All sidequest characters can be ignored in the Wind Waker because most islands are really pointless (other than for sidequests), further separating the main game from said unnecessary sidequests.

Story: 8/10

I must admit, the Wind Waker’s story and presentation trumps those of previous Zelda games (Majora’s Mask excluded). The concept of a flooded Hyrule and Ganon’s return is pure genius compared to what we’ve seen before. There’s just much more depth in the plot, and there’s a better explanation for Link traveling from island to island in search for items, Triforce Charts, etc. Gameplay is woven into the plot more easily than other Zelda games, and the story kept me spellbound until the very end. For the first time in a Zelda game, I felt engrossed in the story and it, quite frankly, felt rather wondrous. The feeling in my chest when Link entered Hyrule in the ocean depths was indescribable. There were several more moments like that in the game, and they’re absolutely magical. The reason I only give the story an 8/10 is because it still doesn’t compare too well to other games on the market... namely games on non-Nintendo consoles, which can sometimes feature the most mind-blowing cutscenes and plotlines (StarCraft II, anyone?). But by standards of a Zelda game, the Wind Waker has one of the most detailed storylines thus far.

Overall: 9.5/10

The game isn’t what I consider to be the best of the 3D home console Zelda games, but it’s still quite terrific. I can only nitpick about the sailing mechanic, easy difficulty and the Triforce Shard collection sequence, but that’s just about all that I can complain about. The game is otherwise flawless and maintains a sort of perfection that we see in many Zelda games. In conclusion, I congratulate Nintendo for taking a rather successful stab at a new breed of Zelda game with the Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker.

Rating: Amazing
Graphics: 9.5/10

It didn't take long at all to get used to the cel-shaded graphics, and I loved the new-look Link. Nintendo took a huge risk in changing the style of Zelda and fans were divided at first, but the risk paid off

Gameplay: 10/10

The combat system was greatly improved over OoT. Sailing invited you to explore the huge world and see what it had to offer.

A ton of memorable music in this game.

Story: 8.5/10

I loved how it tied into OoT in many ways but still remained distant at the same time. There were a couple of things I didn't like though, like (spoiler)Tetra transforming into Zelda (spoiler)

Overall: 10/10

Wind Waker was a surprise. I went into the game not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. It is definitely one of the best games in the series.

Kybyrian

Graphics: A-MA-ZING 10/10

The Wind Waker does not get as much credit as it deserves for the new graphics style it presented to us. Everything was top-notch and appeared so beautifully put together. The style of everything, buildings, dungeons, enemies, people, etc. were all just amazing. I feel that people who are willing to criticize the graphics of The Wind Waker are people who are just extremely reluctant to change. The Wind Waker doesn't get a particularly strong kid-friendly feeling from the graphics like many haters would argue. The graphics were perfect and deserve a lot more love than they get. I don't see what makes them so bad at all. All aesthetic aspects of the game are brilliantly polished and shiny-looking for our hungry eyes to feast upon. I cannot find any flaws with The Wind Waker's style. Would you please tell me something that makes sense, haters?

Gameplay: 10/10

Come on, bros, who can't love The Wind Waker's gameplay? Just think about that vast, open sea with so much exploring to be done. What's that? You never visited all the islands until after you were almost done with the game? Shame on you. You have no sense of exploration; that's the problem with almost everybody that says the sailing was boring. I cruised all the way from Windfall to Dragon Roost and then to Forest Haven and back to Windfall because I didn't listen to the dialogue and didn't buy a sail, and I still didn't hate the sailing as much as some people say they did. That's right, I cruised all the way across the map. Twice. And I loved every bit of it. Not really, but it wasn't horrible.

I found fighting enemies to be very exciting unlike most Zelda games. Darknuts are an especially good examples. I liked being able to switch it up a bit... you didn't always have to parry their attacks. There were other ways to get behind them, you know. Parrying was very fun, though. I didn't think that the response had to be too quick; I thought it was just right. The unique items in The Wind Waker are great, however few of them there may be. The Deku Leaf was definitely something really interesting to play around with. The combat was smooth and exciting, and all of the bosses were enthralling and kept you on your toes. I feel like I'm in heaven every time I play that game.

Music: 9/10

Eh. Music. I thought that The Wind Waker's music was pretty good for the setting, but some of it didn't appeal to me as much as I would have liked. Sailing on the Great Sea kind of got to me with the music from time to time. It wasn't a very awesome tune to begin with, but it was great to hear when you first set off on your boat. You felt like a god. Unfortunately, that kind of lost its spark after a while. As for the rest of the music in the game, I'd say that it was all pretty great, but some of it just didn't appeal to me. Dragon Roost was awesome, but that's really the only music that was good enough to stab itself into my brain.

Story: 10/10

Now, I'm not the best are reviewing stories, but I'd have to say that The Wind Waker may have my favorite story out of the games in the series, maybe aside from Oracle of Ages. I just loved that game. Once again, Ganondorf trying to control everything by kidnapping Princess Zelda. This time your sister gets caught. Tough luck, but it adds quite a bit of emotion to the story. Ever visit your grandma in the middle of the game? Prepare for Heartbreak City. The game could get pretty dark at times, and the story kept pushing on. You meet Tetra, she helps you try to get your sister back. You end up on a strange island you've never been to before, and you set off for the nearest place to try and stop Ganondorf like the good ole days.

Some minor-ish characters that push themselves out from the rest in some small ways end up becoming a little more major later in the game. I'm talking about the two sages, by the way. Things start to develop more thoroughly, especially when you take your big trip to Hyrule Castle. You learn a lot, and everything pulls together so nicely. The King and Ganondorf, Zelda and your little pirate friends. It all starts to get really juicy really fast. I found that the game's story just got better and better as it pushed on. The end of the game... oh gosh, so wonderful.

Overall: 9.75/10

I think that overall The Wind Waker was just a very enjoyable experience. The dungeons seemed to have this whole different appeal to them than the others throughout the Zelda series. I cannot express enough how much I loved the Earth and Wind Temples, both were just absolutely amazing. Every single dungeon seemed to have this spark added to it because of the way it all seemed so unique because of the new exploration they used with the islands. Everything seemed like you were going somewhere extremely exotic and trying something completely new, even if the temple had a lot of recycled ideas to revolve around.

Speaking of the exploration, I thought the sailing was wonderful. Sure, there were times when you couldn't really do anything in a particular area, but I think the biggest mistake that people make is not giving credit to the game for all of the islands. There is so much to do, you just have to take the time to do it. Many people don't take the time to bother with any particular island; they just sail to where they want to go and be done with it. It was especially more beneficial and exciting to explore later in the game, as there were more opportunities then. Most people I talk to that have played The Wind Waker simply haven't played it to the fullest. The story draws you in, the graphics are fresh and beautiful, the gameplay is exciting, and the music is fitting.

Rating: Amazing

Graphics: 9.5/10

Gameplay: 9.5/10

Story: 8/10

Music: 7/10

Overall Experience: 9.0 :yes:

(might be a little biased, though)

Aye, I'm going to have a difficult time beating some of the reviews in this thread :<

Rating: Good

The Wind Waker. So much history I've had with this game, with site-related work and real life playing, it's been a large part of my recent years. As such, my opinions on it have changed greatly over the years, from it being my favorite Zelda game to its downward spiral as a lesser Zelda game. Talk to me 3 years ago and I would've given this game a rating of Amazing, but that has most certainly changed.

When I first played the Wind Waker, I was overwhelmed by it. It was such a.....different Zelda game, but all for the better. The graphics were stunning, the gameplay was great, and the storyline was pretty good too. I loved the game, and I loved playing through it. As time went on though, I started to notice and be affected by the great many flaws in the game, the sailing, the sidequests, Tingle, the Triforce Quest, to name a few. Every time I played through the game they aggravated me more and more, and as it stands I can't rate the game amazing. While the game does look beautiful, and appears to be one of the best, I find it hides a great many flaws, flaws that really derail what would've been an amazing Zelda game.

Graphics: 10/10

Honestly, I find no flaws with the graphics of Wind Waker. They're the perfect cel-shaded, cartoony greatness that makes a game look great. It is the pure and complete opposite to any realistic game. They have cute little bomb explosions, flowers and plants that attack you, wind that whispers over the water. It's like a perfect, non-realistic childhood game, because I really don't come to Zelda to see someone get their head chopped off in realistic graphics. No thank you.

Along with that, these graphics have been reused in future Zelda games not once, not twice, not three times, but four times, the last being a little different version in Skyward Sword. That truly speaks of how great these graphics are, and how much fans love to see them and how Nintendo loves to use them.

Gameplay:9.5/10

Fantastic gameplay. This is one of the few games where I truly enjoy fighting enemies and bosses. What with moves like the Parry Attack, the Great Spin, Jump Attack in kick-*** cel-shading, what can you not love about it? In this game you can continually change up your strategy of fighting enemies; you don't always have to use the same moves. Not many others Zelda games can say this, especially with only your sword.

Sailing. When I first started playing this game, I had no problem with it. You could double the amount of time it took to sail, and I still wouldn't care. But as I've played more and more and gotten better at the game, I can't stand to wait while I want to take down all these bad-*** enemies and bosses. Sometimes I wish they just went to teleporting to places, it made it soooo much easier. This becomes even more apparent when you try to complete the sidequests, gathering all the triforce charts, sunken chests, sailing to each and every island, it gets rather ridiculous. I love the ocean, and I love seeing all the cool features they put on it, but it does get old imo.

New items and shiz. Oh the items. Beautifully designed, well executed, and for the most part, fun to use. With all the new inventions like the Deku Leaf, the Grappling Hook, and the use of the Wind Waker with its many songs, the items really made this game. I loved using them, none really irritated me all too much. And the Wind Waker songs? Wow. Closest I ever got to teleporting anywhere I wanted.

Music: 8/10

Eh. The music. Not the biggest fan, tbh. I mean, it's great and all for the game itself, and it's beautifully added to all the cutscenes and parts where it's needed, but other than that, it's not that great. Listening to the songs by themselves, some are good, but most others aren't that epic or great like you find in most other Zelda songs. It really feels like they failed with it.

Story: 10/10

Omg the story. I can't praise the story enough, tbh. Maybe it's just my utter love and adoration for most of the cutscenes in this game, especially the one with Ganondorf and the King of Hyrule, but I loved the story. It's definitely my favorite in any Zelda game, and while it may feel like they tried to extend it at times, I still loved every bit of it.

Overall: 9/10

Wind Waker is a great game, with a nice overcoat that many people will love. It shows the real beauty of cel-shaded graphics, and is without a doubt a great Zelda game. It shattered every bad opinion everyone thought it would be, and replaced it with praise. Unfortunately, it does hide some flaws, which really do slow down and hurt the game. Other than that, epic win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom