• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Radical Possibility-Ghirahim and Dark Link Connected Somehow?

Nintendo has left us completely in the dark about the obscure origins of the entity Dark Link. Not a single shred of information has really been given about this recurring enemy. However, with the release of Skyward Sword, a new possibility comes to light. This is a pretty radical theory, and it probably sounds pretty goofy. (And trust me, I've seen a lot of theories and thought, "That's silly. You're trying too hard." but bear with me if you can bear to read all this). Thus, I'll try and back it up with as much evidence as I can think of and leave you to make a verdict. Anyways, get comfortable. This will probably be a long read.

Anyway, near the end of Skyward Sword, it is revealed that Ghirahim, is only the "Dark Master Sword's" equivalent of Fi. This "Dark Master Sword" seems to be a direct evil counterpart to the Master Sword. Both swords have similiar guards, Triforces on their blades, and spirits dwelling within them. The only difference between the two is size, color, and the orientation of the Triforce, with Demise's being upside-down. Aside from this, they seem to be nearly identical. Whether the Master Sword was made to counter Demise's sword or vice versa, we can't know, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is this:

Ghirahim is the antithesis of Fi and the Master Sword, serves Demise, and harbors strong hate for the goddess's chosen hero.
The Master Sword and Demise's sword appear to be direct counterparts to each other.

So, with this in mind, let's talk about Dark Link.

In Adventure of Link, Dark Link's first appearance (in real-world chronology) he does not appear to be in direct servitude to Ganon but rather as a final test for those seeking the Triforce of Courage. However, in Ocarina of Time, Dark Link's first appearance in Zelda chronology, he does appear to be in alliance with Ganon. He resides, or perhaps waits for Link, in the Water Temple, a place infested with monsters because of a curse placed on the temple by Ganondorf. This time, although, gameplay-wise, defeating him rewards the Longshot, he does not appear to be a guarding a special or precious item that the hero needs, eg. Triforce or Master Sword. It seems unlikely that, if Dark Link is only a trial, that he would be placed to guard such a small, normal item. He also appears to wield a Dark equivalent of the Master Sword and obviously does not like Link. In addition, Ganon is only the reincarnation of Demise's hatred.

However, at the end of Skyward Sword, Demise's sword evaporates into dust, leaving Ghirahim's fate unclear. That said, it is never stated that Ghirahim was a creation of Demise or that he needs Demise to live for his own existence to continue. In fact, in the game's intro, Ghirahim is shown with the other demons in their assault on the surface world. It is also clear that Ghirahim can exist in a physical form outside of the sword. Thus, if Ghirahim did survive, then he would do the obvious thing: Wait a few centuries for Demise's hate's reincarnation to show up, and then serve him, as his original master is dead. Which brings up how likely it is or not that Ghirahim survived.

It's no question that we give Ghirahim quite a beating in Skyward Sword. We slash all over him with the Goddess Sword, and later with the Goddess White Sword. Finally, we put a hole in his chest with three fatal blows from the True Master Sword. It is shown in other games that not even Ganon can survive fatal wounds made with the Master Sword at full power. He is defeated in Ocarina of Time by various slashes to the face followed by a stab. In The Wind Waker, a sword thrust to his skull completely kills him. In Twilight Princess, an ending blow to the chest kills him also. Ganon reincarnates without cease, but that's beside the point. What matters is that these sorts of wound made with the Master Sword will kill Ganon for the time being. When the Master Sword creates a hole in his chest, he dies. What's interesting is that a far bigger and deeper hole in the same spot on Ghirahim doesn't even slow him down. Which brings up the question:

Can these sword spirits even die?

It's obvious that Ghirahim can take much more of a beating than Ganon, but can beings like Fi and him even die? An ending blow to Ganon's chest kills him completely, but three fatal blows to Ghirahim's doesn't even put him on the ground. Obviously, the fatal blow and ending blow are practically the same maneuver, so what this means is that it takes more than three times the physical trauma to kill Ghirahim than it does Ganon. Therefore, I can conclude that these "sword spirits" simply cannot be harmed to a point where their life ends. Why, then, should the eradication of his master end his life, when it's not probable that his master even created him? Perhaps Ghirahim was a demon who adopted that role, but it doesn't really matter. In addition, perhaps when Demise's sword evaporates, Ghirahim is fleeing. Demise looks baffled or confused that it happened as well, so it's a possibility. We know that Ghirahim likes running away when he's had enough of fighting, as shown in the Skyview Temple and Fire Sanctuary. What I'm getting at here is that Ghirahim won't die, which means that, knowing Ghirahim, he would love an opportunity to get back at the chosen hero. And the chosen hero's reincarnation is just as good as the original, right? And he can kill him and please his new master to boot! Why, then, should he not come back to haunt Link if he gets the chance?

So, our list of "What matters" is a bit longer now.

Ghirahim has likely not died and would like to "get back" at Link to avenge his master and for humiliating him three times and interfering with his plans.
Ghirahim is the spirit of a dark counterpart to the Master Sword.
Dark Link is a dark counterpart of Link, and appears to hold a (probably not the because of size difference) dark Master Sword.
Dark Link appears to be serving Ganon, the reincarnation of Demise/Demise's hatred.
Demise's sword (Ghirahim) is an evil counterpart to the Master Sword.

Also, as long as we're talking about the word "antithesis" we might as well point out that Dark Link appears in front of a dead tree, which may serve to contrast to the fact that Link in Ocarina of Time grew up surrounded by flourishing trees. I'm not sure why Ghirahim would take the form of a "dark Link" but it doesn't really matter.

Obviously, Nintendo couldn't have been planning this back in the late years of the 90's when they were producing Ocarina of Time, but Skyward Sword is an origin story after all, and why not explain the origin of a recurring major enemy who is shrouded in mystery while they were at it? They might not come out and say it directly, but they can give clues that fans might piece together. And they did try and tie Skyward Sword to Ocarina of Time, which they did and did quite well, but I digress.

Anyways, that's about all I've got. My opinion is that Ghirahim and Dark Link are the same being or at least directly related, and I feel I've provided enough possible evidence to support this possibility. So, yeah, that's about it.

Your thoughts? Discuss.

Last edited:

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
I don't think Dark Link is Ghirahim. In the beginning intro in Skyward Sword there is a figure that looks similar to Ghirahim, that doesn't mean he is Ghirahim. Besides, if Demise was fighting a war, I'm pretty sure he'd be using his sword instead of letting its spirit roam freely.

In Twilight Princess the only reason Ganon was killed with one fatal blow was probably because of the glowing mark on his chest. The Seven Sages had already damaged Ganon pretty thoroughly and Link stabbed him there, that's why Ganon died with that single fatal blow.

In Ocarina of Time Ganon was again, injured greatly before Link stabbed Ganon in his forehead. There are two phases to Ganondorf's battle, he was injured in the first one and already injured pretty bad before Link stabbed him with the Master Sword.

In The Wind Waker I assume that Ganondorf never recovered fully. That's why he was hiding in the Forsaken Fortress. The Master Sword might've also been stronger because Link had to awaken two new sages. These two new sages' spirits might have been stronger than their predecessors, thus making their praying stronger.

The reason Ghirahim could take so much damage from the Master Sword, Goddess Sword and Goddess White Sword I thought was obvious. Ghirahim is the Master Sword direct counterpart. The reason why the first two battles with Ghirahim didn't hurt him sufficiently were because the Master Sword wasn't completely forged yet. The Master Sword is the Anti-Master Sword's counterpart that's probably the reason why Ghirahim could take so much damage from it.

And last but not least. In Four Swords Adventures Dark Links were created through the Dark Mirror. The Dark Mirror created direct dark copies of the person it copies. The original Four Swords didn't actually have the Dark Mirror, but it might have existed then. In Ocarina of Time Ganondorf could've gotten his hands on the mirror and made a dark image of Link.

This might be possible in every game that has Dark Link. The Dark Mirror is also comparable to the Mirror of Twilight from Twilight Princess. In Twilight Princess the Dark Interlopers looked like Dark Links, but they eventually turned into Twili. That's what I think Dark Links originated from.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
That said, it is never stated that Ghirahim was a creation of Demise or that he needs Demise to live for his own existence to continue. In fact, in the game's intro, Ghirahim is shown with the other demons in their assault on the surface world.

Why, then, should the eradication of his master end his life, when it's not probable that his master even created him?

While it is not explicity stated that Demise created Ghirahim it is kind of implied. We know that Hylia created Fi and since Ghirahim is the exact counter to Fi and The Master Sword, it only makes sense that someone created him as well, since he is another 'Sword Spirit'.

Ghirahim's life is almost certainly not connected to Demise because when Link uses the Triforce to wish for Demise's death, Ghirahim is still around.
It seemed to me that Ghirahim's life was connected to the sword and when that was destroyed, Ghirahim was destroyed along with it.
After Hylia was gone, her sword was still physically there so I don't really see why wishing for Demise to die would destroy his sword also, especially since his sword was in the form of Ghirahim at the time, not with Demise.
When Link physically defeats Demise, Ghirahim is in the form of the sword, which then evaporates along with its master. I would say Ghirahim is well and truly dead at that point.

I disagree that you see Ghirahim in the intro. There is a shadow which kind of resembles his basic shape but I hardly think that's enough to go calling it Ghirahim. It looks like the Happy Mask Salesman too but you wouldn't say it was him.

When Dark Link shows up in Adventure of Link, it's a test.
When he shows up in Four Swords Adventures it's because of the Dark Mirror, as MiniMouseofPyru pointed out.
In Ocarina of Time it could simply be that the room you fought Dark Link in was cursed to make whoever entered fight a shadow of themselves. If Sheik entered, perhaps their would have been a Dark Sheik, for example.

I don't think Ghirahim is Dark Link because, as far as I'm concerned, Ghirahim died at the end of Skyward Sword.

Last edited:
G

Griffion

I totally agree with al of this. My theory is that Dark Link is a new form of Ghirahim.

This might be possible in every game that has Dark Link. The Dark Mirror is also comparable to the Mirror of Twilight from Twilight Princess. In Twilight Princess the Dark Interlopers looked like Dark Links, but they eventually turned into Twili. That's what I think Dark Links originated from.

Except those Dark Links aren't a physical, real enemy. That whole cutscene was all an allegory. Lanayru (feels weird to refer to the Light Spirits in Twilight Princess by the same names of the Dragons in Skyward Sword) simply explained the story using things he knew well as symbols. The Interlopers eventually become Twili, but the Interlopers didn't really look like Dark Links. Like I said, Lanayru was just using that to explain it to Link.
We'll probably never know the origin of Dark Link, but eh, this is my stab at it.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
Except those Dark Links aren't a physical, real enemy. That whole cutscene was all an allegory. Lanayru (feels weird to refer to the Light Spirits in Twilight Princess by the same names of the Dragons in Skyward Sword) simply explained the story using things he knew well as symbols. The Interlopers eventually become Twili, but the Interlopers didn't really look like Dark Links. Like I said, Lanayru was just using that to explain it to Link.
We'll probably never know the origin of Dark Link, but eh, this is my stab at it.

Well, It's a pretty good stab

You've interested be and pulled me in! I'm about 65% convinced, perhaps in another console game if more subtle clues show that Ghirahim could in fact be Dark Link, i'll put all the pieces together, and thank you for your theory. This seems very realistic, and although not 100% proven yet- Nintendo may be setting up a foundation for an origin :)

You've interested be and pulled me in! I'm about 65% convinced, perhaps in another console game if more subtle clues show that Ghirahim could in fact be Dark Link, i'll put all the pieces together, and thank you for your theory. This seems very realistic, and although not 100% proven yet- Nintendo may be setting up a foundation for an origin :)

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. I don't know why this thread has gotten so little attention compared to other threads, but maybe it's the length.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. I don't know why this thread has gotten so little attention compared to other threads, but maybe it's the length.

Lengthy theories tend to get less attention if the text is too bland, to improve reception you could always get some inspiration from allegories in architecture, Robert throws many jokes here and there, which keeps the audience focused, with some polishing, your posts could easily be an article in the main site, keep up the good work, regarding the actual theory, I have always wondered what dark link is, I have always seen the water theme of the dungeon as an explanation, water is wisdom and refection, that room is meant to represent that, a reflection of link's soul, I bet there are also connections to Japanese culture, such as the ones in Jabu Jabu, one can only wonder what goes through the mind of Miyamoto

Smoore

The Rational Theist
I don't think Ghirahim is strictly the spirit of the Dark Master Sword. I think he was a separate Demon entity on his own before becoming the Dark Master Sword, but then later put all of his Life Force into becoming Demise's blade. Hylia was able to overpower Demise before using only the Goddess Sword, so when Ghirahim devoted himself to becoming a stronger, evil sword, Fi directed Link to infuse the now-weaker Goddess Sword with the blessings of the Great Gods to become the Master Sword.

iDarkLink

Sage of the Dark World
After being killed by Ghirahim's final form many times, I've seen the cutscene once you reach the ground again a lot as well. I've also noticed how similar Ghirahim and Dark Link look. Just simply add Link's clothing, change his hair style, then voilà! you have instant Dark Link! I'd post a picture of Ghirahim's Final Form and a Dark Link picture, but it hasn't worked well for my iPad. :xd:
Thanks for posting up this interesting idea:)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Nintendo has left us completely in the dark about the obscure origins of the entity Dark Link. Not a single shred of information has really been given about this recurring enemy.

I'm sure that is because Dark link is merely an enemy created by Ganon with no significance or backstory required.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I started reading thinking 'no way is Ghiarhim the same as Dark Link' but you've half convinced me. Anyway, my reasons for stating otherwise to your theory is that I always thought Dark Link was just supposed to be a creepy mirror image to Link. In OoT, I think there is some spell cast on that room to reflect whoever would walk in there in combat, Link or someone else. But to be honest you've got a good point, there's no evidence to suggest Ghiarhim is just a sword. Fi slept once her job was done but Ghiarhim's job wasn't done because Demise's resurrection failed. :lol: Anyways overall I am still inclined to disagree because it just goes against the grain somehow. I think of Ghiarhim were to take any form in any temple it would've been Shadow or Spirit, not the Water Temple. But who knows.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
I do not believe that Dark Link and Ghirahim areconnected in any way. Ghirahim is like the "Dark Equivalent" of Fi. Fi is the Spirit of of the Goddess/Master Sword. Ghirahim is also the Spirit of Demise's Weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom