• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Racism in Majora's Mask

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
Majora's Mask may be a regular Zelda game, but it touches on some real world topics, one of them being racism. If you experiment with the game, you will find out that people will treat you diferently depending on how you appear to them. Some will even turn you away or prevent you from using their services. An obvious example is at the beggining of the game. After completing the Bombers' test and become one of their members, the leader, Jim, will ask the rest of his gang if he should let you into the group as a Deku Scrub. However, all the others will turn you away. They will give you their secret code, but they still refuse to let you become a full member. The second example is the man from the curiosity shop. If you enter his shop as a Goron or a Zora, this is how he will respond to you:
Eesh. You frighten me. I have a special time for freaks like you. Try coming back at half past never.
As a Deku Scrub, he will tell you to run along, commenting that you should be with your parents. But he will gladly do buisness with you as a Hylian. You can discover that some races aren't as accepting of Hylians as well. The Deku Scrub guards will easily turn you away from their palace. The ghostly Ikanans cannot allow anyone but themselves to prowl their dead kingdom. Do you think that the world nearly ending should help the Terminans set aside their differences, or they will continue to discriminate after the game? What are your thoughts on the topic?

In all fairness though, I would be freaked out at a few of Link's transformations if one of them approached me. But yeah, I get what you mean.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I noticed that too... And I don't think the people of Termina were entirely aware of the end being so near, although a few of them did sense a tragedy brewing(i.e. the scarecrow). Others either rationalized it(i.e. Cremia) or denied it(i.e. the carpenters). So I don't think the apocalypse would have brought them together, as most of the people were either unaware, in denial, or just accepting of it.

In Anju's grandmother's story, she says the people weren't always split into four worlds, so I wonder if this attitude came from that split and having less contact. The Gorons and Zoras seems friendly enough to other races, although they do seem surprised to see someone who's not of their race in their areas.

I saw that as well. I really noticed about how the bombers turn you away. it... bothers me
Kids are just like that, they tend to pick on people who are different from themselves, like how the Kokiri looked down on Link for not having a fairy. A little Deku kid isn't exactly "cool" so the Bombers didn't want to hang out with him, normal Link on the other hand is older than them and has a sword, so he's someone they would want in their group.

crazeh navi

Guardian of Equestria
I don't think a lot of it was racism, exactly. The Deku didn't want outsiders near their king, understandable. The Zoras are used to being the only ones who can reach Zora Cape, so I can see why they'd be surprised to see a Hylian there. The Gorons didn't seem to care. As for the Curiosity Shop guy, yeah, he's pretty much racist. Hmph.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That's another GOOD thing about Majora's Mask though the concept of it isn't so much good. The idea that the NPCs feel differently based upon your form shows that not only are the Termina people capable of different thoughts, but also that Termina is about as divided as salt and sugar. If anyone of the 'racists' ticked me off, it would have to be the Bombers. Yeah, it is mostly natural for a group of 'cool' kids to pick on others, but to turn me away just for being a helpless, needy Deku was low. :/

I'd love to see those kinds of thought processes among NPCs in future Zelda games although racism is a very bad thing. It would add a lot of flavour to them and could possibly serve to flesh out sidequests.

Twilight

Storming Twilight
I, myself, don't think there were much racism on MM. The Bombers turn Deku Link away because they let a Deku in their group and the deku broke the rules, so they're probably holding a grudge against Dekus. That's half-racist, but not really much.

But I must agree that the Curiosity Shop's guy is pretty racist. Maybe the reason is that the usual customers at his shop aren't Zoras or Gorons. And the Deku Link is too much of a kid for him to serve. But this is just a theory.

And the Tresure Shop lady really is even more racist. Sheesh, all customers's rupees must be taken the price every Hylian/Human pays, not mattering their races. =\

But something kinda tells me the word to be used here isn't racist. Maybe because that gives your discussion a feeling it's a really big racism from real life. I may be wrong though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom