• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Quick Time Events in Zelda

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I generally don't care for quick-time events. I've they're relatively easy to get through, then I'm cool with them, but, well... most aren't. And that's really frustrating. The ending of Uncharted is a prime example of this. If Zelda were to have them, I pray they would be nothing like that.

As for if they'd fit or not, I've come to not say anything about this topic. After seeing all the different things that I was somewhat skeptical about prior to Skyward Sword, I'm just gonna accept whatever comes our way and see if I like it or not.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
For some games quick time events work. Some games are solely based off them. If they were used for like the final blow on bosses then yeah I could see it working. Or maybe something similar to Resident Evil 4 where they were used to dodge out of the way of things. I don't know though. They wouldn't be something that I would say was needed in the Zelda series as often times they add a fake sense of gameplay which can be annoying.

Quick time events are not meant for the Zelda franchise and they generally greatly derail the immersion and experience a game has to offer. What's the fun of having to battle a giant cyclops in God of War if all you do is click a button and see all the action spring to life in front of your eyes instead of actually exerting yourself to accomplish the same end? Zelda has always been a franchise where the the experience is catered towards the individual and introducing quick time events would dampen that feel.

JuicieJ said:
After seeing all the different things that I was somewhat skeptical about prior to Skyward Sword, I'm just gonna accept whatever comes our way and see if I like it or not.

Yes but Skyward Sword retained the exploration essence of the Action-Adventure genre solely blending in some RPG elements which had already been seen in a prior outing-Adventure of Link. The weapon upgrade system, for example, helped add to the realism the title offered. Quick time events would not only be another large step away from the nonlinear gameplay that gave birth to the franchise but it would be a slap in the face for the varied combat and thought provoking puzzles the series is known for.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Quick time events are not meant for the Zelda franchise and they generally greatly derail the immersion and experience a game has to offer. What's the fun of having to battle a giant cyclops in God of War if all you do is click a button and see all the action spring to life in front of your eyes instead of actually exerting yourself to accomplish the same end?

Kingdom Hearts 2, KHBBS, Resident Evil 4 + 5, etc. All those games have QTEs that are as good as playing the game without them. :shrug:

I'm all for quick time events in Zelda. They don't take away from the experience, especially if they're optional (there are many games that I cannot remember for the life of me which have QTEs for a quicker way to defeat an enemy but not required). Actually, all Hidden Skills in TP, the final boss kill method in both SS and TP are QTEs, just not directly pressing a button in SS' case. They don't hurt, they only heal.

And speaking of Skyward Sword, if you're gonna give us God-awfully long cutscenes without the ability to skip them first time through, at least make them interactive. Kind of like Soul Calibur 3's Tales of Souls mode, where, for example, when Nightmare is about to fight Abyss (or Night Terror), you can press [if I remember correctly] A+G in order to dodge the ensuing attack and start the battle at full health, or if you miss the input you'll start the battle with half health. That'd actually work wonders for Zelda since the story in each game is never really GREAT.

It isn't really a good or bad thing for me. If a game has them then fine! I mean great games like resident evil 4 and tomb raider anniversary has them. But I don't really see them as immersing us into the game which I think the devs want to think they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom