• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Pronunciation Island

How do you pronounce 'Eventide'?

• even-tide

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • event-hide

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
Didn't realize this was one of those pronunciation things that was up for grabs, but numerous youtube videos seem to prove me wrong. How do you pronounce it?

Pen

The game is on!
Is there even an h in there? If there is I've completely missed it. I say even-tide because that's how I've been reading it. Also I found it to be a pretty good lizard hunting area, so I will likely be going back there.

TheRockinStallion

If I'm not back in 15 minutes, just wait longer!
Didn't we cover that already? I'M A DUDE!
Really, this is a thing? That was the last thing I ever expected for Eventide Island. I don't see how you could read it as anything but Even-tide. It's an island with an ocean reference in its name.
I call it 'event-ide' since an event happens and there's nothing even about it to be 'Even-tide'.
That seems like a bit of a stretch but maybe that's just me. At least you're not pronouncing letters that aren't there. :D

Is there even an h in there? If there is I've completely missed it. I say even-tide because that's how I've been reading it. Also I found it to be a pretty good lizard hunting area, so I will likely be going back there.
No, there isn't.

mqdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sutittaja

Freezing chill
I just simply call it Even-tide, because as Finnish person I pronounce thing as they are written, unless I hear or know the right one.

I don't see how you could read it as anything but Even-tide. It's an island with an ocean reference in its name.
No one's reading it differently. And, really, the two pronunciations are the same. It's where we're placing the accent (if you're unfamiliar with this, consider that words have both stressed and unstressed syllables) on the word that's making the difference. If you look at the way the vowels are annunciated in both "even" and "event" you will notice they are the same. They share the same vowel sounds; it's just that "even" has a stressed first syllable while "event" has a stressed second syllable. It's not a matter of pronunciation. It's actually a common phenomenon in the English language, especially with compound words. Does anyone actually pronounce "necklace" as "neck" + "lace"? No, because the first syllable is the stressed syllable.

We all know its referring to the ocean's tide. That's irrelevant. Like how @Azure Sage said, even and event are said the same.

I've always pronounced it even-tide as there was a Magic: The Gathering set several years ago with the same name, and that was how it was pronounced.

But even-tide does make sense considering the island itself... Link's left on even footing with the enemies (without armour, and only food/weapons found on the island) after basically washing up on shore with the tide.

TheRockinStallion

If I'm not back in 15 minutes, just wait longer!
Didn't we cover that already? I'M A DUDE!
No one's reading it differently. And, really, the two pronunciations are the same. It's where we're placing the accent (if you're unfamiliar with this, consider that words have both stressed and unstressed syllables) on the word that's making the difference. If you look at the way the vowels are annunciated in both "even" and "event" you will notice they are the same. They share the same vowel sounds; it's just that "even" has a stressed first syllable while "event" has a stressed second syllable. It's not a matter of pronunciation. It's actually a common phenomenon in the English language, especially with compound words. Does anyone actually pronounce "necklace" as "neck" + "lace"? No, because the first syllable is the stressed syllable.

We all know its referring to the ocean's tide. That's irrelevant. Like how @Azure Sage said, even and event are said the same.
I just mean that I emphasize the "t" as the beginning of the 3rd syllable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom