• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Preferred save method

What's your preferred save method

• save on game cartridge

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • save on memory card

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • save on console

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Buying a memory card for the ps2 I recently bought got me thinking about what would be the most practical way to save the game. Then I thought that would make a great forums thread topic....and so here we are.
Memory cards, the consoles, and the games themselves all have their ups and downs, but which do you personally prefer your saves be on?

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
Anything BUT saving on the console, I don't like being restricted, I prefer the portability of memory cards and cartridges to some extend.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
I'm old school. I grew up with saving to the cartridge and it is still my favorite. It is rather simplistic, you don't have to worry about swapping memory cards if you switch games and it doesn't take memory space on your system. If I lose a game or the save becomes corrupt. I only lose the data for that game. If
I lose a memory card there goes a lot of games at once which is depressing. Also if multiple save game data goes corrupt that sucks.

Don't get me wrong cartridge saving has it's own faults too. Old cartridge games have their inner batteries die so they can't save anymore. You have only a limited amount of save files. Usually one or three. The save file area usually takes a bit of space n the cartridge in the day so I think it would limit some of the space for the game itself. You can't copy and transfer your save data if you wanted too.

You also forgot the really old save system that we had on the Nes. Password system.

2MooglesGaming

More fun than a bag of Kupo Nuts!
Both of us have dealt with the pains of memory cards quite a bit. Had a one once with a save for FFVII where Cloud was primed for the All Lucky 7's effect, and then someone stepped on it. Even though saving to a console has a lot of portability limitations, it's just so much easier because you don't have to keep track of any moving parts. And with cloud storage the other issues are getting solved slowly but surely.

TK8305

Mugenite, Smasher, LPer and ZCer!
I tend to use Memory Cards to save my data. Nowadays, I play old games on Emulators too so I can save state and not lose my progress.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
You should add Cloud saves and extra HDDs to that list too.

Speaking of which, those are my top two choices.

Buying a memory card for the ps2 I recently bought got me thinking about what would be the most practical way to save the game. Then I thought that would make a great forums thread topic....and so here we are.
Memory cards, the consoles, and the games themselves all have their ups and downs, but which do you personally prefer your saves be on?

Great topic but I feel a saving in the cloud option should be here too.

I prefer saving on console.

Quin

Disaster Master
Console saving with the option to copy to SD/other external hardware for backup purposes. I know this gives opportunity for the likes of save edit but its worth it for the freedom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom