• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Predictions for Game Structure

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
So now that we have our last trailer pre-launch, we've seen a bunch of stuff. I wanna make some predictions here about the structure I think the game will be following. Keep in mind this is only based on the trailers and no artbook leaks, which I have not seen.

So, first thing's first. Zelda's role here I think is going to be significant.

image.png

I said in another thread that this scene looks like a debug camera over gameplay footage to me. The framing, the stillness of Zelda, the camera movements, the way the environment is moving. There's no way this is a cutscene. That's what my eyes are telling me, anyway. So that would mean playable Zelda somehow, some way. I think I have an idea of how that would work, considering she got separated from Link. So let's take a look here...

First thing to note is, in the above screenshot, the background looks significantly traversable and manipulable. This is also true in this shot...

image.png

Talking to the supposed Zonai man. The background looks veeeery similar. I'm willing to bet this is the same room as the shot above, or at least the same structure. I am also willing to bet that this shot is a conversation in which Zonai man is encouraging Zelda to forge ahead on her path, which leads her to the previous shot. She's on her way somewhere. And where would that be?

image.png

Here, perhaps? This appears to be over the Great Plateau, maybe, judging by the background. But it's not very high. There's no sign of sky islands whatsoever. That's a bit odd, isn't it? Here's why I think that's important...

image.png

As Zelda falls, she starts glowing in a particular way we've seen before. I believe this is her getting magicked away to safety... to the room we see in those first shots. But where is there? Some people are speculating it's the past, but... I am speculating it is in fact a Realm of Memories which will contain a few segments where Zelda is playable. This is what I think her "come and find me" at the end of the trailer is referring to, because...

image.png

Same glowy particles that were surrounding Zelda, but now they're covering a Sanctum that looks awfully pristine. I think this scene is Link walking through a memory. Some people have theorized there will be time travel, but I think I can buy a realm of memories better. Would be more in line with BotW. Eventually, Link will be able to enter this realm and reunite with Zelda. Now, here's another thing that supports why I think this...

image.png

This shot of the Zonai man is a memory, I'm willing to bet. I think this is a memory of the original sealing of this Ganondorf, pre-10k years ago. Look in the background. We see a Rito with the Great Eagle Bow and a Gerudo with the Scimitar of the Seven, being corrupted by malice like the Zonai man is here. There's even malice particles floating around in the air. Neither of these warriors look like Riju or Tulin (or Teba), nor do they resemble Revali or Urbosa. I think these are Champions or Sages of old, and this is a memory that Zelda sees when she goes into the realm of memories and speaks with the Zonai man as seen in the first shots I posted. That is how I think this all connects together. It's possible that the Hylia-looking lady (who is likely Hylia herself or an ancestor of Zelda) using sealing powers to blast a laser at that horde of Moldugas is also a memory.

image.png

So how does this all fit into the structure of the game? I bet we get memory segments with playable Zelda in between dungeons. I suspect there will be at least four of them. I think that once Link get's that dungeon-clear fanfare, the game will shift settings over to Zelda's perspective. And the way I think this will work is that Link must involve himself with each of the four races. Link completes a segment with them, he gains their allyship, and we see Zelda in the realm of memories. Rinse and repeat, in any order. At least for the first four. After that, I think is where things will start to get linear.

image.png

There's a progression in their designs here. In earlier trailer footage, Sidon does not yet have the crown on his head and Tulin only has the swallow bow and does not yet have the Great Eagle Bow which we see peeking on the corner of the shot (along with Yunobo's Boulder Breaker). So I think this is a story event that can only take place after you do each of their individual plotlines, and it will culminate into a linear story for the second half of the game, maybe.

So we have, according to my speculations... Tutorial > Link, dungeon > Zelda, memory > Link, dungeon > Zelda, memory > Link, dungeon > Zelda, memory > Link, dungeon > Zelda, memory... which them culminates into this scene...

image.png

Zelda is on the platform we see over the Great Plateau in that shot I posted earlier. And she has the Master Sword. She's probably fixing it up. I think this will conclude her playable storyline. So then we move to... Link enters the realm of memories to find her > the next four dungeons open up (im assuming 8 dungeons not counting a possible final one because there are 8 phials) > the story begins to move into the linear path where the Champion Successors come together and fight for Hyrule.

So, I could be totally off-base here, but this is what I'm reading from this trailer alone. This is what I think (and hope) the structure will be like. Once Zelda and Link reunite perhaps she will become an NPC ally like the Champion Successors. That'd be cool. I just have a very hard time believing that Zelda's role in this game will not be a parallel journey to Link's that we see unfold on screen, whether at our own hands or not. I think she's going to be more front-and-center than we think.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I expect the game to be mostly linear.

If I can put on my tin foil conspiracy hat for one moment, I'm guessing that the linear story stuff we've seen was the expansion. Before its cancellation and relegation to sequel, it was mentioned during interviews that the proposed expansion was going to be more story focused. I think the extra development time garnered from canceling the expansion was put into changing the open world just enough to not make it exactly the same as it was in Breath of the Wild.

Also, remember when Miyamoto claimed you could "make Zelda angry" during the canceled expansion? I can smell the stink of that bull**** from here. :eyes:

(Also, remember one of the fundamentals of the Zelda series: if it ever seems like Zelda will be a main character, she won't.)

Last edited:

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
For better or worse, Nintendo's decently skilled at defying expectations, so I hope we do get something more linear. Using Ocarina/Majora as a standard for Zelda's sequel trends, and given how we know that BotW2 reuses quite a few assets, I can see them repurposing what already exists for a tighter, more linear experience. The open world isn't going anywhere, but for the meat of the game, things will hopefully be given a bit more focus.

Moving from an experimental entry (BotW) to something that knows what it's doing with a noticeable grasp on what has been established (ideally BotW2).

Ok, hear me out, Temple of the Ocean King 2: Electric Boogaloo

All joking aside, I think we might be seeing a return of more "traditional" Zelda dungeons, in addition to some time-travel shenanigans (through memories or just straight up time-travel, which this series is no stranger to). I believe there will be time travel in some way, shape, or form, because when Ganondorf is standing there being all regal and menacing, we can see Hebra Peak... without the hole in it. The hole that was put there during the initial battle with Calamity Ganon over 10,000 years ago.

I swear if this game pulls a Skyward Sword and creates yet another stable time loop, one where BotW Link and Zelda are actually the ones who defeated Calamity Ganon 10,000 years ago due to time-travel shenanigans...

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Ok, hear me out, Temple of the Ocean King 2: Electric Boogaloo

All joking aside, I think we might be seeing a return of more "traditional" Zelda dungeons, in addition to some time-travel shenanigans (through memories or just straight up time-travel, which this series is no stranger to). I believe there will be time travel in some way, shape, or form, because when Ganondorf is standing there being all regal and menacing, we can see Hebra Peak... without the hole in it. The hole that was put there during the initial battle with Calamity Ganon over 10,000 years ago.

I swear if this game pulls a Skyward Sword and creates yet another stable time loop, one where BotW Link and Zelda are actually the ones who defeated Calamity Ganon 10,000 years ago due to time-travel shenanigans...

Yeah, I agree that time travel is starting to look more and more likely. I think a lot of the story cutscenes we've seen in trailers actually take place in the past. I think TotK might do what BotW did and split the story in half between the past and present but this time the past is playable directly instead of shown to you through memories and environmental storytelling. I think Zelda might be playable and you experience the past as her, showing you the initial sealing of Ganondorf that leads him to eventually become Calamity Ganon. Meanwhile, Link is running around in the present dealing with the results of what Zelda does in the past. I still think they're gonna take turns with playable segments and Zelda will eventually return to the present and become a summonable ally like the Champion Successors, either towards the halfway point or towards the end for the final dungeon or something. I'm thinking halfway because she has the Master Sword (which I think Link sends back in time for her to fix at the beginning) and I don't think they'd keep that away from you for more than half of the game.

Man., it's gonna be interesting to come back to this thread after the game is out to see how close we were to the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom