• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Possible TLOZ trilogy?

So I´ve always had deep affections for the N64 Zelda titles. Well, especially Majora´s Mask!
I remember when I first beat it all those years ago, I kept thinking about what Link would do after going through what he did. Where would he go from there? What could he possibly do? Return to Hyrule and call it a day? Stay in Termina and settle there? Continue his search for Navi? Remember, he literally saved the world from being completely destroyed, saved tons of people and in doing so, grew a lot as a character and as a person. He had done all of these things, while still having not completed his main goal, which was to find Navi.

Now, I´ve always had this idea in my mind that the Hero of Time, needs one last game, one final part to his story. I´d like a world somewhat similar to Termina and Hyrule, possibly have him return to Hyrule at some point in the game too. Maybe the game could start with him being a child in this new world, then as times passes by, he becomes and adult and returns to Hyrule, perhaps something tragically happens to him there, which could tie him to Hero´s Shade or something.

What I think/hope is going to happen is that Nintendo will announce a brand new Zelda game for the 3DS sometime in the future, built with the OoT and MM engine, which picks up right after Majora´s Mask.
I have a lot of ideas for this, but this post is already long enough! What do you guys think?

Djinn

and Tonic
Seems a bit late to make another sequel to ooT. Then again I don't think there has ever been a trilogy on any console mostly because they take too long to develop. When most consoles only have a 5 year lifespan that only leaves room for 1-2 games at best. And even then that can leave the second one coming out around the time of the death of that console.

Outside of that I'm not totally sure where they can go with the story, things were wrapped up pretty nicely in OoT. To the point where MM had to take place outside of Hyrule completely. Then we see what happens after both parts of the game in TP and WW. I almost think that to have another sequel it would have to take place outside of Hyrule again since their timeline/sequel shenanigans have mostly filled all the gaps and there is little room left. At least not easily without the developers painting themselves into a corner.

I actually like how they make some sequels with little regard for past games. Gives them much more room to do what they want for the current game.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Its always possible that Zelda Wii U will show us the hero of time a little older and back in Hyrule, but its too early to try putting Zelda Wii U anywere on the timeline with speculation alone.

It's already confirmed that it's a different Link in the game, not to mention Zelda U Link is right-handed with a sword as where Hero of Time Link is left-Handed with a sword.

Sheik

:the:
Seems a bit late to make another sequel to ooT. Then again I don't think there has ever been a trilogy on any console mostly because they take too long to develop. When most consoles only have a 5 year lifespan that only leaves room for 1-2 games at best. And even then that can leave the second one coming out around the time of the death of that console.

What? I can think of a lot of trilogies that were on just one console (Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, Donkey Kong Country, Uncharted, Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, etc.). Also, MM was developed entirely within a single year, and none of that game feels rushed in any sense of the word. So yeah, I think it sounds plausible that there could be a Zelda trilogy all on just one console.

But I'm not too fond of the idea of them going back to the Hero of Time. I always kind of liked how Link's story after MM remains a total enigma, especially considering all the loose ends there were. Did he go back to Hyrule? Did he ever reunite with Navi? The Zelda series is really good (whether intentionally or accidentally) at leaving certain things unanswered so that they could provide room for good audience speculation and theorization. So I think the Hero of Time's story should be left alone, for better or worse.

Though I think it would be really awesome to see a full-fledged Zelda trilogy on a future console. It could be something akin to the Metroid Prime trilogy. Just three games that use primarily the same engine, controls, graphics, etc, but they're all still unique and different games in their own rights. Their stories don't have to necessarily be completely interconnected, but there should be some plot points and characters that stay true between entries to provide at least some cohesion (like how Dark Samus is born at the end of Metroid Prime, then reappears in both Echoes and Corruption). The good majority of Zelda games have stories that are entirely independent from other games in the series, so I think a Zelda trilogy would be an interesting change of pace.

Outside of that I'm not totally sure where they can go with the story, things were wrapped up pretty nicely in OoT. To the point where MM had to take place outside of Hyrule completely. Then we see what happens after both parts of the game in TP and WW. I almost think that to have another sequel it would have to take place outside of Hyrule again since their timeline/sequel shenanigans have mostly filled all the gaps and there is little room left. At least not easily without the developers painting themselves into a corner.

I actually like how they make some sequels with little regard for past games. Gives them much more room to do what they want for the current game.

Why do you say that? The continuity has been all over the place for years.

I'd love to see a game to conclude the N64 games-- I disagree that it would at all infringe upon the previous titles (for example, I think MM can still maintain its mystery even with the addition of a third game).

I'd even go as far as to say it's necessary in the grand scheme of things. The HoT may be the most beloved, the most mysterious, and the most tragic of all the Links, and I think he needs resolution. Particularly, Whereas OoT focused on the relationship between time and maturity, and MM focused on that of time and death, I'd like to see this new one explore time and regret-- really examine the HoT's character and all he's experienced, all he's lost, etc. The themes of MM, of death & its resolution to life, would come full circle, and you'd see Link, reduced to a ghost of his former self by the scars of time, ultimately die, thereby resolving his torment. Idk. Maybe that's to dark; I just have a thing for protagonists dying.

But, I disagree that this should be a 3ds game-- I'd rather see this approached as a full console game, given all the time and thought that's necessary to conclude what many consider to be Zelda's golden age.

I don´t really agree with you on this one. It´s not really too late for a sequel, because this wouldn´t be a direct sequel to OoT, but MM. The Hero of Time as some others have stated, deserves a conclusion to his story and I think it would be ideal to have this new game on the 3DS. Seeing as we now have both OoT and its sequel MM for the system. Also, there´s the fact that we´re getting the New Nintendo 3DS next month, which will expand the 3DS lifespan for at least 2-3 more years. I´m pretty sure there´s going to be another TLOZ game in that time, why not have this one? There´s a lot of stories and possible plot ideas that could work for this sequel. Not taking the official timeline in to consideration of course.

An idea I´ve had is that this new game would take place right after the ending of MM, where Link would leave Termina, possibly bringing with him some of the items he found there, perhaps even the Fierce Deity mask. It would be interesting if this mask over the course of the game, corrupted him and made him mad/evil, have this mask be his demise. Though the next game shouldn´t be about masks in general, but I think it would be interesting to have elements from both OoT and MM and completely new ones in this new 3DS game. It would be awesome to have this game on the Wii U, but since we have OoT and MM on the 3DS, it would make sense to have the next and final chapter on the same system. That´s just my take on it anyway.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I think after Majoras Mask, Link will break off from the USA with Master Miller. They will then begin production of Metal Gear ZEKE, and make repairs on Mother Base. Link and Paz will get married, and then the Twinrova's pancreas will wage war on it's ex lover, the mighty Bridge of Eldin.

Anyway, I guess having the HoT in a final game would be alright. I mean, I don't see what the point is since whatever would happen in the third installment wouldn't in any way affect the fabled Timeline. Seems pointless imo.

Anyway, I guess having the HoT in a final game would be alright. I mean, I don't see what the point is since whatever would happen in the third installment wouldn't in any way affect the fabled Timeline. Seems pointless imo.

Exactly!

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Though I think it would be really awesome to see a full-fledged Zelda trilogy on a future console. It could be something akin to the Metroid Prime trilogy. Just three games that use primarily the same engine, controls, graphics, etc, but they're all still unique and different games in their own rights. Their stories don't have to necessarily be completely interconnected, but there should be some plot points and characters that stay true between entries to provide at least some cohesion (like how Dark Samus is born at the end of Metroid Prime, then reappears in both Echoes and Corruption). The good majority of Zelda games have stories that are entirely independent from other games in the series, so I think a Zelda trilogy would be an interesting change of pace.

What I like about the Zelda series is that each game pretty much has it's own sense of style and flair. I like that the games aren't connected, and it makes the few that are (OoT and MM for example, or OoS and OoA) all the more special. And, two games connected is enough for me. If it were three, I think I'd get tired of the style.

And, two games connected is enough for me. If it were three, I think I'd get tired of the style.

While I agree with you, you can't deny that, given time (15 years and counting), and given new technology, a return to a previous, and well loved, style would make for a smooth and exciting approach.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
If there were to be a Zelda trilogy, I'd prefer if the three games were one system and began a new story arc. Being on one system allows players to most easily have access to all three games. I'd prefer a new story arc over an old one because a direct continuation of games as adored as Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask will be scoured for the smallest faults; people tend to get defensive over nostalgic memories.

I'm actually a fan of a trilogy structure, in general, since it allows Nintendo to experiment more in terms of story and gameplay. After all the times Link has saved Zelda or another damsel in distress, a cliffhanger would be a refreshing ending. The traditional dungeon themes of forest, fire, water, desert, light, dark, etc. could also be more spaced out across three games giving Nintendo more room to experiment with new concepts. I always thought a dungeon in some kind of living mech or a mobile dungeon would be cool.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Actually there was a thread about this before, the possibility of a trilogy just in general. I would like a trilogy, but then again part of the charm with the Zelda series is that the developers don't have to make direct sequels to games all the time, they can go on and make a new game which has no ties the the previous game released in terms of plots. With other videogame series the developers get locked into making sequels and can't get out of it, so part of the Zelda series' charm comes from its ability to be more free than other game series. That being said, I still find the idea of a trilogy to be interesting, and I'd have no complaints if it was done at some point, I just wouldn't want it to become a pattern afterward though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom