• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Possible ideas for Future Open-Air Zelda games

What Would YOU Like to See in a Future Open-Air Zelda game?!

• Total voters
So, Since BOTW was announced to be the NEW Standard of Zelda games; What Ideas could these said games do to Make them MORE Original, and Expand upon the Aspects that Breath of the Wild didn't do, or Do Things that weren't done before, so that these games AREN'T mere clones of BOTW, and can stand on their Own; Could they Explore OTHER Lands besides Hyrule, like in Alternate Realms, such as Lorule, Termina, The Dark World, and expand THOSE Places as much as Hyrule had been; Could they Allow for the Ability to Fly in the Open air, whether by Transformation Mask(I.E. A Rito Mask), or The Return of Loftwings, INCLUDING The Ability to Tame catch and Name Wild Loftwings(Airpona, Anyone?! LOL) The Ability to Craft AND Strengthen and Upgrade Weapons, The Inclusion of A Dark Link(As in the Character, since BOTW can be seen akin to The FIRST TLOZ game on the NES, Maybe the next game can take some influences and inspirations from Zelda II: Link's Adventure, Such as the Inclusion of Dark Link, or EVEN Include Bagu and Error) What Ideas do YOU Guys have for Future Open-Air Zelda games;

My ideas would rely largely on the setting.

I want to see Hyrule in its prime in a BotW style open air game. I want to see a Castle Town thats actually a town rather than a small hub.

I want Goron City to feel like a city. I want grand architecture true of prospering kingdoms and life within those walls.

Im fine with the physics engine and runes staying (though more/differnt runes would be welcome).

Really, i'm happy with what BotW gave. Though ruins still feel like an easy way out they still had emotional gravitas to them in context.

I want a more in depth story. Im not asking for Final Fantasy or Witcher 3 detail but some more character development with enough going on for them to actually have arcs and characterisation wouldnt go amiss.

I'd like actual flight to be an option, not just gliding. I still think its a missed opportunity that we cant ride the dragons in BotW to get around.

Depends what Nintendo pull in terms of story though. I could mention things i'd like to see but they may not fit in the next Zelda.

Last edited:
I would like to use the Roc's Cape instead of the Paraglider.

The weapon system feels unneeded. The only way it'll work is if there's a way to enhance weapons. And I want the scene where Link holds up the item.

I want to see Hyrule Castle Town intact.

I want more classic dungeons. The Beasts were... pretty boring dungeons to be honest.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'd like to see them put some effort in with the story. BoTW was similar to the original LOZ in the sense there wasn't much of one. And with other open world games like Witcher 3 delivering fantastic stories, BoTW's was a non effort especially considering it took so long to come out. I'd like to see something more substantial with characters that see real development and for side quests to be stories of their own which affect the game world rather than just being fetch quests or overturning rocks for Koroks.

I would also like to see a dual worlds kind of game or perhaps one with Time travel which features a present and past or present and future Hyrule.

Another desire of mine would be to have a game which isn't in a post apocalyptic setting and one which features proper cities.

I definitely want to see the weapon breaking system scrapped.

I liked the style of dungeon in BoTW but there were simply too few. TP had the right idea in terms of quantity.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I want to see Hyrule in its prime in a BotW style open air game. I want to see a Castle Town thats actually a town rather than a small hub.

I want Goron City to feel like a city. I want grand architecture true of prospering kingdoms and life within those walls.
<=== this. So much this.

While I'm sick to death of crafting systems in games, some way to augment your weapons and equipment would improve their longevity. Adding more elemental damage to swords with socketed runes or new capabilities to weapons and armor with mods that can be freely swapped in and out would make it so you can start with some rinki-dink item and keep upgrading it until it's stellar, or pimp out a legendary weapon to make it even more epic. This is what ninty should have done in BotW instead of having their weapons made of cardboard and lollipops.

Open world games with gliders are becoming increasingly popular, but if being able to fly freely over your overworld necessitates the return of the dreaded loftwings, then I'm game.

An alt dimension or world just means twice the game space to explore, so why not? I have an idea of a vast interconnected underworld complex spanning the entire gameworld, with access to the overworld all over the place. While players could travel almost the entirety of the underworld unimpeded most of it would be cordoned off until players open up previously inaccessible passages. Over the course of the game players would have completed a vast network of interconnected levels beneath the overworld, creating one vast seamless dungeon. Players would constantly be looking for new entrances into the underground network from the surface. Some areas of the overworld could only be accessed through the underworld. You could even work a fast travel system into the underworld, by connecting new routes via a vast underground tram system. I pine for the days of shortcuts like OoT had over the point-and-click fast travel of todays games, so this would be like a combination of the two. And of course the underworld would be much more challenging than the overworld, but the rewards for venturing down much greater.

While I love the idea of transformations as a game mechanic, it has to be worked into the story. After all, the capabilities of Link's forms in MM were nothing that couldn't be satisfied by items anyway. Either that or there'd have to be some sort of trade off mechanic or risk/reward mechanic for the transformations, otherwise just give Link new equipment to play with.

Dunno why Linkle is necessary except as a straight up gender select option. Even if she were like a Player 2 character you'll just end up with Catwoman from Arkham City or Ciri from Witcher 3. What's the point?

What's this about Dark Link?

Further Exploration Options

Can you be more specific?

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Dark Link?

Maybe a game where you get to play as dark Link? Coinciding with the transformation mechanic, Link would be able to transform into his dark doppelganger at will, thus providing him with new shadow-y abilities, maybe even focusing on a robust stealth mechanic.

I'd imagine there's all sorts of stuff you can do to explore Link's darker half... even necessitating the return of the Twili!! and Midna, of course <3

Dark Link?

Maybe a game where you get to play as dark Link? Coinciding with the transformation mechanic, Link would be able to transform into his dark doppelganger at will, thus providing him with new shadow-y abilities, maybe even focusing on a robust stealth mechanic.

I'd imagine there's all sorts of stuff you can do to explore Link's darker half... even necessitating the return of the Twili!! and Midna, of course <3
BRILLIANT!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom