• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Poe Salesman Theory-Someone Much More Familiar??

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
So, I was hanging out my friend, another zelda lover you all prolly know (Blackice, please stand up and smile at the crowd.), and i had this theory while hunting for poes. Now keep in mind, I don't have a whole ton of evidence to back me up, so hear me out: What if , when the timeline split, assuming it did, the happy mask shop salesman had two different fates: 1. Salesman goes to termina. and 2. Salesman stands up against Ganondorf, Ganondorf slashes him in face, mutilates the guy, only one eye, red because of broken vein in eye. He wears hood to not scare people away, and we only see one eye because, well, he only has one. He still needs to make a living, so he deals in the purchasing of poes and eats them for nourishment. When he says that he would have a different job if he had a better face, he refers to the loss of an eye and ahuge scar. Please give me your feedback.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
He doesn't quite look like the Mask salesman to me. My assumption was always that he was that guard that used to stand watch there when Link was a child. I didn't even realize there was controversy over this... here are the quotes that made me think that.

If you talk to him in the daytime, he says this:

"Man, I am SO bored... Things would sure be more interesting if there were more... troubles in the world... Hey, that's just between you and me, OK?

Anyway, maybe we can let off some steam by breaking these jars."

That sort of hints at it. Still not convinced? Here's what he says if you talk to him at night:

"Man, I am SO tired... The night watch is so boring! I wish some ghosts would come out or something... Hey, I'm really interested in ghosts! Studying them is a hobby of mine, but you never know... the time might come when that kind of knowledge might be useful!"

Also, the soldier and the saleman share at least one personality trait... they have a certain admiration for destruction and trouble.

"My shop is the only Ghost Shop in Hyrule. Because of the great Ganondorf, it is a fine time for a business like this...heh heh heh... Oh...I can only hope the world gets even worse!"

Anyway, that's where I came up with my theory. I can kind of see where yours comes from as well, though, because the bottom part of his outfit does resemble that of the Happy Mask Salesman... still, it just doesn't seem like him to me.

I've also heard there are people who believe he's that boy that used to play in the Graveyard, because he has that stick.

Last edited:

Din Akera

Sniper
Okay, both of you have really good theories. The only whole I can find about the salesman being the ghost shop owner is that both of them appear in MM in the same timeline. The ghost shop owner is in Ikana and has you play the ghost shooting game will Meg, Joelle, Beth, and (?) I forget the last one's name. Therefore, they cannot be the same person, unless you want to run with the idea that MM is a dream. But is supposidly takes place on the child timeline.
I would more accept the theory about the ghst shop owner being a castle gaurd gone bad, because evne in MM there are castle gaurds in Ikana, and that is where he appears again.

I guess the truth is I never really though much about his back story, but I really like both of these suggestions.

He doesn't quite look like the Mask salesman to me. My assumption was always that he was that guard that used to stand watch there when Link was a child. I didn't even realize there was controversy over this... here are the quotes that made me think that.

If you talk to him in the daytime, he says this:

"Man, I am SO bored... Things would sure be more interesting if there were more... troubles in the world... Hey, that's just between you and me, OK?

Anyway, maybe we can let off some steam by breaking these jars."

That sort of hints at it. Still not convinced? Here's what he says if you talk to him at night:

"Man, I am SO tired... The night watch is so boring! I wish some ghosts would come out or something... Hey, I'm really interested in ghosts! Studying them is a hobby of mine, but you never know... the time might come when that kind of knowledge might be useful!"

Also, the soldier and the saleman share at least one personality trait... they have a certain admiration for destruction and trouble.

"My shop is the only Ghost Shop in Hyrule. Because of the great Ganondorf, it is a fine time for a business like this...heh heh heh... Oh...I can only hope the world gets even worse!"

Anyway, that's where I came up with my theory. I can kind of see where yours comes from as well, though, because the bottom part of his outfit does resemble that of the Happy Mask Salesman... still, it just doesn't seem like him to me.

I've also heard there are people who believe he's that boy that used to play in the Graveyard, because he has that stick.
This.

I actually didn't know some of that information. Thanks, athenian! ^^

Based on this info, he's definitely the soldier. The idea of him being the kid in the graveyard is a nice theory, but the guard theory is so conclusive it's not much worth debating about.

Ikana

Trollkastel
Just like LinkandI said it cant be the happy mask sellsmen due to in MM both the poe sells men and Mask sells men are in the same timeline so it cant possibly be him.They really did not give much info on either both of them and we will probably will never know unless they add them in another Zelda game.Maybe he could be a sheikah because in MM he says he can read peoples mind and when you talk to a gossip stone you get this This statue's one-eyed gaze pierces into your mind but who knows we may never know who he is.

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
Alright. My theory was squished. Sigh. Oh well. Thanks for all of the replies, though, guys. i am glad to have that cleared up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom