• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Physical or Digital?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
While gaming began a medium largely dependent on the physical transfer of data, the modern gaming world has shifted to a much more digital landscape. Stroes like Gamestop that previously dominated the world of video games sales are now playing second fiddle to a gaming world that has shifted largely towards digital sales. Heck, if you're a PC gamer you've likely succumbed to this whether you like it or not.

Me? I hate it. My military deployment and the accompanying horrible internet kind of hammered in just why I dislike the idea of digital media becoming the dominant way to distribute games. I prefer hard copies of my games whenever I can manage it (with Metroid Dread being the newest edition).

What about you guys? Do you still go physical when it comes to your games or do you prefer the convenience of digital downloads?

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Im a collector, so physical all the way. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve bought a game digitally because I was too lazy to go out to the store and get it, only to regret it later because of how much of a hassle it can be to return it, if they even give you the option. Usually the only reason I want to return it is because I want to own it physically instead anyway,

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I will usually go physical unless a sale on a digital game is much better than the physical version. I just prefer having the cart/disc and case, even if the plastic case is literally all there is to the physical aspect of the game.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I was just thinking about this the other day b/c of the whole GTA download thing and I wanted share something funny

physical is so shoddy nowadays b/c companies can't be bothered to put the whole game in there, there's even stupid stuff like overwatch on the switch where the retail version doesn't even include a game cart, its just a digital code

overwatch-switch-191013-185030_9rhn.jpg

....WHAT'S THE POINT THEN? it's just waste of space and material

anyways to me, it comes down to which one is cheaper which more often than not its digital due to sales, or if it's a game I'm not too confident in, then I would like to go for physical just to have the option to resell it if I need to, being able to play the game is what matters to me more than the format

Last edited:
I still prefer physical copies and probably always will. If a game has a physical copy available, I'll try to get that over its digital counterpart, but of course, sales and other circumstances can make me go digital instead. A lot of indies aren't available physically because it's expensive for the devs, and I'm totally okay getting their games digitally. But if I love their games enough and it later becomes available as a physical copy, I'll heavily consider buying the physical just so I can have it, and support the devs some more in the process.

I also just don't like buying large games digitally, both because of storage and the price (i never have that much funds on my game store accounts); it's easier for me to manage with picking up a physical copy in those cases.

---
Also yeah there's some dumb thing about downloading software for physical Switch games, and from what I understand it's something about there being different sized Switch cartridges but they don't use the one that would fit the full game to save production cost. Iirc Switch cartridges are available at 32gb storage at most, but I'd have to look back into it. I remember hearing about this a lot when the Bioshock collection released.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I was just thinking about this the other day b/c of the whole GTA download thing and I wanted share something funny

physical is so shoddy nowadays b/c companies can't be bothered to put the whole game in there, there's even stupid stuff like overwatch on the switch where the retail version doesn't even include a game cart, its just a digital code

overwatch-switch-191013-185030_9rhn.jpg

....WHAT'S THE POINT THEN? it's just waste of space and material

anyways to me, it comes down to which one is cheaper which more often than not its digital due to sales, or if it's a game I'm not too confident in, then I would like to go for physical just to have the option to resell it if I need to, being able to play the game is what matters to me more than the format

I'd provide a loose (very loose) defense of the Switch versions:

Flash memory is not as cheap as discs. Releasing the physical version of a game on Switch means trying to cram it onto as small a cartridge as possible to reduce costs, and some companies have determined that it's better to just rely on the owner having an internet connection. Outside of a few extreme examples like Tony Hawk, it's a problem that's currently exclusive to the Switch.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I'd provide a loose (very loose) defense of the Switch versions:

Flash memory is not as cheap as discs. Releasing the physical version of a game on Switch means trying to cram it onto as small a cartridge as possible to reduce costs, and some companies have determined that it's better to just rely on the owner having an internet connection. Outside of a few extreme examples like Tony Hawk, it's a problem that's currently exclusive to the Switch.
there's still plenty of games nowadays where the disc is just used as a key to play the full game on your harddrive, since it all isn't on the disc itself

physical games just aren't what they used to be, it just makes it easier for me to accept digital if all the physical game is these days is a plastic shell housing a fraction of the game, at least there's nice cover art to look at sometimes

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
there's still plenty of games nowadays where the disc is just used as a key to play the full game on your harddrive, since it all isn't on the disc itself

physical games just aren't what they used to be, it just makes it easier for me to accept digital if all the physical game is these days is a plastic shell housing a fraction of the game, at least there's nice cover art to look at sometimes

While they it's true that most big games don't play directly from the disc, they still install directly from the disc, no internet required. A lot of games are now just too large in terms of data size to be effectively read and displayed from the disc in real time without some form of installation.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
While they it's true that most big games don't play directly from the disc, they still install directly from the disc, no internet required. A lot of games are now just too large in terms of data size to be effectively read and displayed from the disc in real time without some form of installation.
yeah it's just how things are, makes me wonder when physical will get phased out entirely, could be sooner or later

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom