• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

PG-13 Movies that Should be Rated R

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Apparently the big market for movies these days is right in that PG-13 range, but there are many movies pushed into that that are right on the edge of being Rated R. So tell me, what's a movie you think should be rated R that isn't?
For our foreign audiences, PG-13 is rated so you must be 13 or older to go see it in theaters alone, and for R the age is 17.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Well, Deadpool was actually only rated 14A in many Canadian provinces when it should've been R. 14A, of course, doesn't exist in the American rating system... and R here is 18+...

Probably best if a Canadian doesn't answer this question XD

Most PG-13 movies that I've seen tend to have some sort of extreme violence, sexual stuff, or excessive swearing so I would say most of the, deserve to be R because in my experience PG-13 is just a way for R movies to get a wider audience.

Now, there are some movies that should be rated lower than PG13 and it's stupid that they aren't and some fit that rating perfectly but those two seem to be rarer.

I can't provide an example of that, but I can provide one of a movie that was allowed for six year olds to watch here in Germany when it should really have been limited to at least PG13 if not higher. I'm talking about Watership Down, an animated movie about talking bunnies that is so incredibly dark and violent that it traumatized little six year old me who wasn't expecting anything more than a kids movie about rabbits.

That said, the presence of violence doesn't automatically require a higher rating. Realistic violence with realistic results is less damaging for a child's psyche than over the top violence that doesn't affect the victims in the way it normally would in real life is.

The first two that come to mind:
  • The Fifth Element - You get to see a topless Mlia Jovavich like 4 times. Her boobies are so small I don't think anyone cared :D.
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - The heart ripping scene is pretty brutal for PG-13.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Well, Deadpool was actually only rated 14A in many Canadian provinces when it should've been R. 14A, of course, doesn't exist in the American rating system... and R here is 18+...

Probably best if a Canadian doesn't answer this question XD
yeah, all of our movies that should be R but aren't are 14A. Such as Splice, that was a ****ed up movie.

I can't provide an example of that, but I can provide one of a movie that was allowed for six year olds to watch here in Germany when it should really have been limited to at least PG13 if not higher. I'm talking about Watership Down, an animated movie about talking bunnies that is so incredibly dark and violent that it traumatized little six year old me who wasn't expecting anything more than a kids movie about rabbits.

That said, the presence of violence doesn't automatically require a higher rating. Realistic violence with realistic results is less damaging for a child's psyche than over the top violence that doesn't affect the victims in the way it normally would in real life is.
The Secret of Nimh (from the book Mrs Brisby and the Magic Stone) is similar. It's not a voilent movie but the themes in this movie are incredibly dark and very adult.

Dan

Deadpool here is a 15, although it should have been a PG, here in England most 4 year olds are perfectly contempt watching 18 films on their own.
Most R rated films in America are pretty much okay for preteens to watch without an adult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom