• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Petition to Remove the Letter "K" from the Alphabet.

Why focus on a single letter that according to extremely arbitrary standards, doesn't serve a purpose? You could easily make better arguments against many diphthongs or even the "ph" in English. Or any of a number of conventions inherited from French. This is inconceivably pointless.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Why focus on a single letter that according to extremely arbitrary standards, doesn't serve a purpose? You could easily make better arguments against many diphthongs or even the "ph" in English. Or any of a number of conventions inherited from French. This is inconceivably pointless.

This isn't pointless. It's actually better. I promote the petition because it exacts a reasonable outlook on the uselessness of the English language. The Lanage of Commerce shall now be Sarkeesianism.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
"K" is probably one of the letters I use the least. As a matter of fact, I am able to write this whole post without using it once, aside from the first letter. It doesn't serve any real significance towards our language, so why not. I'll sign! :)

Big Octo

=^)
This reminds me of something...

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling
by Mark Twain
For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all. Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli. Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This reminds me of something...

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling
by Mark Twain
For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all. Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli. Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

what the fc did you just said....
--------------------------------------------
Removal of the letter that shall not be used here will be a blessing from the scy, as it is a Redundant letter used only by the most obnoxious of jercs. You see, the letter is a symbol of Pretentiousness, and as we all cnow, it isn't a qood thinq to be pretentious. It shows arroganse, which is a niqative trate in America and many other places abroad. We shall avoid the letter that shall not be named should this petition come to fruition, and that is simply a qood thinq to be rejoiced at if you understand my meaning. Life cereal

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Removing a letter seems like a lot of work for something that isn't a problem. I've managed to live for 21 years with the letter K being in existence; perhaps I am the minority who has never suffered harm or injury because of the existence of the letter K, and I think some kind of foundation to help those who suffer because of the letter K being a thing should be founded, but unfortunately I wouldn't sign a petition to get rid of it until I see some hard proof the letter K is actively undermining and attacking our way of life and is the root of all evil in the world.

Also Special K is a really nice cereal.

Fig

The Altruist
I find this petition as pointless as the asking for Ghirahim to be playable in Smash 4. Just because you may not like the outcome or in this case don't use the letter K as often as others (which is a very weak argument cause you can say that for any aspect of the English language should you not use it), doesn't mean that you should just a make a petition that could crucially affect the English language and its format for everyone who uses the English language. It's like saying you have an opinion and I have a different opinion but just because you don't necessarily like my thoughts that I have to change mine just to better fit with your standards.

Yes everyone is entitled to their own thoughts on the matter, but this is ridiculous because you are essentially saying that just because you don't use a certain aspect of the alphabet, people should just agree with you and make a change that can only bring disaster. Sure "C" and "K" make similar sounds, but it is because how they are used and structured is why the letter K is needed to say words such as "know" instead of spelling it as "cnow" (I'm certain more than likely you just pronounced those two words differently). Say you have the Pythagorean Theorem and you variables a, b, and c. Suppose a equals to the value of 3, b equals to 4, and you need to solve for c. This is possible since you have two of the three variables given to you. What you are essentially are doing is removing one of those two variables, making it impossible to solve for c as you can't solve the problem unless you are given another piece of vital information. You basically got rid of variable b because for some reason you didn't feel it wasn't important to the question, ironically making the problem impossible to solve unless you bring back variable b.

Personally, I am not going to sign this petition simply because of how poor for the removal of a letter simply because someone thought the letter K is unnecessary simply because he/she doesn't use it as often. Unless there is a majority of people that truthfully feel that the letter K is indeed useless will this petition succeed, otherwise I honestly don't see the point of creating a petition that won't gain much attention for several years.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Without the letter K we would no longer have such fabulous creatures such as the majestic kangaroo, no longer give the vague response of "k", and I think the world would be worse off without without Karate, Kung Fu, and Korra.

I am against the removal of the letter K. It has served us well. If any letter deserved to be removed, it is the letter Q, because why is that even a letter? It's just an O with a tail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom