• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pat Robertson Says Killing in Video Games Is Essentially Murder

ProtagonistJake

Shepard
Hmm... I would say the same about Christians.

You think?

Duh.

No you don't.

Yep.

Yeah, just like everything else in the bible, I'd say. So what's your point? Why are you telling me things I already know?
Okay, not only was that a very poor rebuttal (You basically just said "no you're crazy and wrong, deal with it"), but that was just disrespectful.

I'm not personally hurt by it or anything, but you should really learn to show some more respect to someone for simply having a different belief than you. Especially on a public forum like this where there's people from all over the world with different, well, everything.
You can not believe whatever
But don't think everyone with a certain belief crazy just because of some vendetta you have against it or that you yourself just find it dumb to believe in.
That's pretentious and shallow.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Okay, not only was that a very poor rebuttal (You basically just said "no you're crazy and wrong, deal with it"), but that was just disrespectful.

Your pointless response gave me very little to work with.

I'm not personally hurt by it or anything, but you should really learn to show some more respect to someone for simply having a different belief than you. Especially on a public forum like this where there's people from all over the world with different, well, everything.

Hi, you must be new here. I'm Turo.

You can not believe whatever

Yes I can.

But don't think everyone with a certain belief crazy just because of some vendetta you have against it or that you yourself just find it dumb to believe in.
That's pretentious and shallow.

Excuse me.

So trust me when I say he's out of his mind.

Hypocrite much?

Ah, I get what he's saying, and it's technically "true," but intrinsically flawed, much like the analogy he makes to adulterous thoughts. In other words, it does appear to adhere to biblical logic in regards to sin. Although, I think I'll pass on arguing "right or wrong" here. This is just my opinion on the matter...

ProtagonistJake

Shepard
Your pointless response gave me very little to work with.

Hi, you must be new here. I'm Turo.

Yes I can.

Excuse me.

Hypocrite much?

Alright fine

Keep to your incredibly childish and unjustified ascertains on people for simply having a different belief than you, if you're so comfortable with it.

But if you get banned or something from being able to speak on these forums, due to said attitude which takes poor advantage of the freedom given on internet forums, don't be surprised.

ProtagonistJake

Shepard
Ah, I get what he's saying, and it's technically "true," but intrinsically flawed, much like the analogy he makes to adulterous thoughts. In other words, it does appear to adhere to biblical logic in regards to sin. Although, I think I'll pass on arguing "right or wrong" here. This is just my opinion on the matter...
Actually, in the bible it makes no sense either, mainly because he failed to know the difference between murder and killing.
Soldiers don't murder, they kill, which isn't a sin. You can kill someone completely by accident.
Serial murderers, well, murder, which is a sin. Murdering is something that was definitely intentional. with little to no other reason other than to take that person's life

Since Gamers are usually just trying to complete the game's obstacle, almost like soldiers, that'd classify their actions in some games as "killing", not murder.
As I said before, from a Biblical perspective, he's making up crap. He's twisting the words to be in his favor.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Alright fine

Keep to your incredibly childish and unjustified ascertains on people for simply having a different belief than you, if you're so comfortable with it.

But if you get banned or something from being able to speak on these forums, due to said attitude which takes poor advantage of the freedom given on internet forums, don't be surprised.

Says the one slinging insults. Instead of owning up to your hypocrisy, you call me childish. I am free to express whatever the hell I want just as you are. If you want to call a man "out of his mind" for believing that killing in video games is like killing in real life, then you should have no problem with me calling Christians crazy for believing in god. You take offense to that and call it disrespectful because it's on a public forum but it's okay to trash a man behind his back on a public forum?

Hmm mate...what makes it flawed? (in your opinion?)

Mate? For Glob's sake, Ven, get your own schtick already. For the answer, vide infra...

Actually, in the bible it makes no sense either, mainly because he failed to know the difference between murder and killing.
Soldiers don't murder, they kill, which isn't a sin. You can kill someone completely by accident.
Serial murderers, well, murder, which is a sin. Murdering is something that was definitely intentional. with little to no other reason other than to take that person's life

Since Gamers are usually just trying to complete the game's obstacle, almost like soldiers, that'd classify their actions in some games as "killing", not murder.
As I said before, from a Biblical perspective, he's making up crap. He's twisting the words to be in his favor.

Well, my beliefs are that killing and murder, unless by total accident or in self-defense, is the same thing, and using biblical logic in regards to sinning (i.e., the mere thought of sinning can be just as bad), the guy in the video sorta has a point. Overall, it matters not to me, as an atheist, as I find the lot of "sins" to be intrinsically flawed.

I'm not going to argue petty semantics here over some biblical stuff...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Mate? For Glob's sake, Ven, get your own schtick already. For the answer, vide infra...
No need and no desire to, because doing so would require me to actively seek something that's original in order to stand out...which can be seen as vain activity (vainglory being a sin iirc, which is slightly on topic ;p). Although...I'm not sure what vanity has to do with video games.

ProtagonistJake

Shepard
Well, my beliefs are that killing and murder, unless by total accident or in self-defense, is the same thing.
But they aren't, they're different words for a reason.
We don't classify all soldiers as murders do we?
Beliefs isnt a factor in definitions of words.

Chiraku

Demon slayer
I didn't watch the video; the quote from the dude is enough.
The lust thing is something we can do better to avoid, but there are wars and fights that end up with --guess what?-- killing. It's real. If there's fighting there's probably going to be killing. So why should we be surprised when it comes up in games? Does he dislike kids playing Mafia? It's so invalid I can't even explain myself.
If that's what the guy thinks, then fine, no need to curse his name and family, but really, if it's so ridiculous, then why humor the issue and make it a big deal?
This argument is giving Christians a really bad name.

Last edited:
But they aren't, they're different words for a reason.
We don't classify all soldiers as murders do we?
Beliefs isnt a factor in definitions of words.

That analogy is extremely fallacious. " Happy and glad are different words for a reason... " Try again. And yeah, I do classify all soldiers as murderers. Don't lump me in with everyone else; I am my own person. And it is my belief that anyone who kills is a murderer. And if you want to play bible games, try this one on for size:

Exodus 20:13 and Deuteronomy 5:17 said:
Thou shalt not kill.

And lastly, please refrain from telling me what I can and can't believe. Thank you and have a great day. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom