• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time OoT Optional Items

Hi there.

I'm going to start a 'glitchless' minimal run of Ocarina of Time soon and I was wondering whether certain items were optional or not. If anyone could clear up any of the following that'd be great.

• Fire Arrows: Usually you can just use Din's Fire, but I remember there being one room (in Ganon's Tower maybe?) that you couldn't complete with them. Am I right, or is there a sneaky way of beating it?
  • Bombchus: Do you need them at all, or can you just use bombs everywhere?
  • Hylian Shield
  • Goron & Zora Tunics: Given that I'll be at three hearts max all game, that means without these I'll have a max of 24 seconds on the clock (actually, how does that work? When the timer runs out, do I die, do I lose health slowly, am I teleported to the beginning of the room?). Based on previous experience with the game, I'm pretty sure that means that I'll not be able to beat the Fire Temple without the Goron Tunic, but... do I need the Zora tunic? I mean, practically everywhere you go underwater is only for a few seconds. The only place I can think of that might be an issue is that hidden room at the bottom of the central pillar in the Water Temple, but I don't need to enter that room at all provided I'm careful with my keys, do I? Have I missed anywhere else?
  • Adult Wallet
  • Great Fairies: Din's fire is compulsory, but do I have to get the magic spin attack at the top of Death Mountain before I get it?

Thanks in advance.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Fire Arrows: Usually you can just use Din's Fire, but I remember there being one room (in Ganon's Tower maybe?) that you couldn't complete with them. Am I right, or is there a sneaky way of beating it?

Yes, there is that room in Ganon's Tower. I know of no conceivable way of using Din's Fire instead. Get the Fire Arrows.

EDIT: Apparently, you can use the longshot in that particular room. Use it on the unlit torch, and then on the like-like from there. Sweet.

Bombchus: Do you need them at all, or can you just use bombs everywhere?

Bombchus are needed in the Spirit Temple, if I remember correctly. In that same room they are received in after defeating some Lizalfos, you need them to crack open that high portion of wall to let sunlight in.

Hylian Shield

Hylian Shield is not required.

Goron & Zora Tunics: Given that I'll be at three hearts max all game, that means without these I'll have a max of 24 seconds on the clock (actually, how does that work? When the timer runs out, do I die, do I lose health slowly, am I teleported to the beginning of the room?). Based on previous experience with the game, I'm pretty sure that means that I'll not be able to beat the Fire Temple without the Goron Tunic, but... do I need the Zora tunic? I mean, practically everywhere you go underwater is only for a few seconds. The only place I can think of that might be an issue is that hidden room at the bottom of the central pillar in the Water Temple, but I don't need to enter that room at all provided I'm careful with my keys, do I? Have I missed anywhere else?

Letting the timer run out results in a Game Over, you do not slowly lose health. I say you should get the Tunics.

Adult Wallet

Adult Wallet is not required.

Great Fairies: Din's fire is compulsory, but do I have to get the magic spin attack at the top of Death Mountain before I get it?

You are right in saying Din's Fire is required, to enter the Shadow Temple. You do need to get the spin attack upgrade at the top of Death Mountain. This is the only way of getting the Magic Meter. No spin attack, and you can't use the Lens of Truth, Magic Arrows, Spells or anything like that. I once did a normal minimalist and got up to the Bottom of the Well without getting the spin attack upgrade. I ended up not being able to use the Lens of Truth when I got it because I didn't have the magic meter yet.

Last edited:

ScouseOctorok

An avid Blue
Yeah those tunics are necessary. You just spend too long underwater in the Water Temple and too long being exposed to volcano heat in the Fire Temple to get away with not wearing them.

Thanks for the quick responses, that clears things up.

I'm still not convinced about the Zora Tunic though. I'll try without it and report back and then you can all laugh at me when it goes horribly wrong.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ehm from what I recall, Lens is not required - it just requires memorization (and a bit of T&E) to get past most things where the Lens is recommended.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
The Lens of Truth is not necessary, but the tunics are. Btw, no Goron Tunic doesn't give you a Game Over, it teleports you back to the start of the room, repeatedly, making it impossible to really get anything done. You won't even be able to get across Death Mountain Crater in other words, let alone all the way through the Fire Temple.
Hylian Shield isn't necessary, but you will have to buy like a zillion Deku Shields to survive Dodongo's Cavern- unless you do decide to do away with the Deku Shield at the earliest opportunity, but that means no defence, which to me seems silly on a three heart run however I wouldn't say it's necessary.
As for the Zora Tunic, I am pretty sure that's necessary too, as some of the puzzles in the Water Temple involve walking around underwater with your Iron Boots for extended periods of time.
I don't think you have to get the spin attack, but then I'm not sure how linear the Great Fairies are. You can definitely avoid Nayru's Love altogether- I managed for years without it because I never even realised there was another Great Fairy in the Colossus. Ditto ice arrows, obviously. They're useless anyway.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Hylian Shield isn't necessary, but you will have to buy like a zillion Deku Shields to survive Dodongo's Cavern- unless you do decide to do away with the Deku Shield at the earliest opportunity, but that means no defence, which to me seems silly on a three heart run however I wouldn't say it's necessary.
Actually, Deku Shields aren't even necessary; shields in general are not if you have ample sidestepping room (which you will). Sidesteps and backflips are your main methods of defense in a minimalist run actually 3

Beauts

Actually, Deku Shields aren't even necessary; shields in general are not if you have ample sidestepping room (which you will). Sidesteps and backflips are your main methods of defense in a minimalist run actually 3

You need at least one Deku Shield to get past Mido at the start of the game. I know they're not necessary after that, but he is doing a glitchless run so he will need at least 1 shield.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You need at least one Deku Shield to get past Mido at the start of the game. I know they're not necessary after that, but he is doing a glitchless run so he will need at least 1 shield.
Ah yes, I'm sorry for calling you out. Fromy our previous post I gathered that "you will need a deku shield to survive dodongo's cavern" but then my brain was like "omg nuu you dont!!!!!e1!" lol. Sorry again :3

Beauts

Ah yes, I'm sorry for calling you out. Fromy our previous post I gathered that "you will need a deku shield to survive dodongo's cavern" but then my brain was like "omg nuu you dont!!!!!e1!" lol. Sorry again :3

Haha that's okay :) I was just saying Dodongo's Cavern will be difficult without it, not that it was necessary haha. Oh and also, you need a Hylian Shield to go up Death Mountain don't you? I realise you can enter through the Lost Woods later but you don't get bombs before you meet the Gorons.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Oh and also, you need a Hylian Shield to go up Death Mountain don't you?

From what I recall, if you can backwalk without running into the sides of the trail, you shouldn't need the Hylian Shield. I may be wrong on that so don't quote me :P

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
But he's doing this without glitches and surely that is a glitch??? :P
Well it's exploiting the fact that backwalking is the fastest method of movement (bar Epona and warping), but I don't think it's a glitch! xD

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Actually if you're cool enough, you can just roll under all the rocks ans not get hurt(did so last night. Experience) hylian not needed

Beauts

Well it's exploiting the fact that backwalking is the fastest method of movement (bar Epona and warping), but I don't think it's a glitch! xD

But how can you get the guard at the gate to open said gate without a shield? He sends you to castle town to get one complete with discount :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom